age restriction on Edge club?

They tend to be very strict about ages allowed. I doubt if a two year gap will be tolerated. However 12 year olds are still allowed in the oceaneer club but most kids 12 and over will want to move up to the Edge because the activities are more geared to their age.. She should have a fine time in her own age appropriate club and maybe one or more of the cousins will stay with her. But I’m one of those grandparents that don’t tolerate whining so if she wants to pout about not being with her cousins my response would be...theN stay in the room until you act better and learn how to be appreciative of what you do have.
Just sharing our personal experience but we haven't found them to be very strict AT ALL with the age for the Edge. We have had a 10 year old allowed in on more than one occasion. Good luck!

Have you checked the kid's clubs ages on Princess? Do they work better for you? (Since that's apparently an important consideration for you)

I do know, on Princess, if you have children in different clubs, and you want them together, the older has to "age down". There's no "aging up" on Princess, from what I've read.

Yes, on the ship we'd be on for Alaska they'd all be together (except the youngest - we're not overly worried about the 5 year old since that huge age gap will be nearly impossible no matter where we go.)

Yes, on the ship we'd be on for Alaska they'd all be together (except the youngest - we're not overly worried about the 5 year old since that huge age gap will be nearly impossible no matter where we go.)
OK, I took a look, I'm sorry, I don't understand the idea that a kid's club that's for 3-12 (Princess - Camp Discovery) is different than a kid's club that's for ages 3-12 (Disney - Oceaneer's)?

Your kids can "all be together" in Oceaneer's (including the 5 year old).

OK, I took a look, I'm sorry, I don't understand the idea that a kid's club that's for 3-12 (Princess - Camp Discovery) is different than a kid's club that's for ages 3-12 (Disney - Oceaneer's)?

I’m not the OP, but for us the difference would be limiting the choices of the 12 year olds. On Princess there’s no other club for them to go to so they’ll definitely be with the 10 year old. On Disney they would have to chose and it’s really hard to tell the 12 years “look I know the Edge is more fun, but Billy feels really left out so go to the younger kid club”. Having the choice of Edge-which really works out better for a lot of families because it offers flexibility would be a little harder if the goal was to keep the preteens together.

I’m not the OP, but for us the difference would be limiting the choices of the 12 year olds. On Princess there’s no other club for them to go to so they’ll definitely be with the 10 year old. On Disney they would have to chose and it’s really hard to tell the 12 years “look I know the Edge is more fun, but Billy feels really left out so go to the younger kid club”. Having the choice of Edge-which really works out better for a lot of families because it offers flexibility would be a little harder if the goal was to keep the preteens together.
Well, they don't have to choose a club at 12, they can go to both. Maybe when everyone wants to be in the club, Oceaneer's would be the place. But, if only the bigger kids want to go, Edge would be it. Actually gives them a bigger choice.

Not all kids want to be in the clubs every day, all hours. I can see a 5 year old not wanting to go to the club at all, even.

Well, they don't have to choose a club at 12, they can go to both. Maybe when everyone wants to be in the club, Oceaneer's would be the place. But, if only the bigger kids want to go, Edge would be it. Actually gives them a bigger choice.

Not all kids want to be in the clubs every day, all hours. I can see a 5 year old not wanting to go to the club at all, even.

I guess you didn’t understand what I meant by “choose”....if I say hey let’s go to the club which should we go to now Lab or Edge- that’s making a choic isnt it?? So the older kids are going to have to go to the lab to be with cousin when they know they could be in the cooler edge if lame Billy wasn’t there...there’s no possible resentment on Princess because when they say hey let’s go to the club, there’s only one option.

You asked how Princess and Disney were different....well that’s how they are different. Sometimes having more choices isn’t a positive for a family.

When we did Princess this year, Camp Discovery was indeed for 3-12 but the kids were then subgrouped by much narrower age ranges. Our 9yo was with the 8-10 group. I believe they had four or maybe even five age groups created within the 3-12 category.

I guess you didn’t understand what I meant by “choose”....if I say hey let’s go to the club which should we go to now Lab or Edge- that’s making a choic isnt it?? So the older kids are going to have to go to the lab to be with cousin when they know they could be in the cooler edge if lame Billy wasn’t there...there’s no possible resentment on Princess because when they say hey let’s go to the club, there’s only one option.

You asked how Princess and Disney were different....well that’s how they are different. Sometimes having more choices isn’t a positive for a family.
When is your cruise? I honestly don't think you'll have a problem getting your 10 year old into the edge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter