• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Agree about the rental car and Dolphin snub

MaryKatesMom

DIS Veteran
My DD's love the water parks. By watching the weather during our vacation week, we're able to go at least once every trip year round. I'm sure Pete would freeze but we're from the NE so anything above 50 degree's is good for my DD's.

It has always been our experience that the buses from the resorts to the water parks run only once an hour in the off season. Years ago, I waited 55minutes for a bus at GF to TL only to have it stop and park at DTD for another 20 minutes before moving on to TL. What makes it especially painful is the water parks were only open from 10AM-5Pm so more than 15% of the park time was wasted on the bus. After that, when we didn't have a car, we took a taxi.

Last December my sister waited for 50 minutes at the Dolphin for a bus to BB. They called transportation and were sent to someone's voice mail. Talked to the front desk. Eventually, gave up and took a taxi. It took us less then 10 minutes from the BWV's using the car and parked 5 spots from the front gate.

If you need to get to the Wide World of Sports early, either take a car or taxi.

The only exception the the "It is easier by car" philosphy is the MK. By the time we park and take the transportation it is easier IMHO to take a bus which drops off and picks up close to the gate. Also, if you have early Character Breakfast reservations I know at one time there was an issue about the parking lot's not being open early enough but I don't know if that was resolved.

Here is where the snub was felt. As it happens I was waiting for a bus at the BWV's the next morning after my sister's no show and saw someone from transportation timing the buses. I approached her and asked what should someone do in a situation when a bus isn't showing up. As soon as she asked me what resort my sister was staying at, (the Swan and Dolphin), her face froze and maybe it was my imagination, but I think she took a step back :snooty: and said "They aren't Disney resorts." It caught me off guard and I said "But it's Disney transportation" The CM say's "She need's to talk to the Dolphin" I'm flustered and said but isn't it a central system and the CM says "Maybe they will reimburse her for the taxi.":confused3

No love lost there.:rolleyes:

It sounds like a "pass the buck" situation on the part of the transportation CM as she probably didn't have an answer for you. However, it could be entirely possible that Disney transport has the busses operating for the S&D on a completely different schedule/system. :confused3

We don't have any problems with ME or the buses to and from the parks. In fact, some times DS gets tired of driving ourselves because the disney transport buses are part of the vacation experience. However, the last few trips we got a rental car and our last trip we had our own car because it has just gotten to the point that we prefer to not spend so much time waiting for busses and standing when you are pooped out. It's so nice just to jump in your car and zip back to the resort or make a side trip somewhere on your way back if you want. :thumbsup2 Besides, I am always able to get great car rental rates, cheaper than anywhere else in the country so far and I have even started using Priceline with really great results.

Shannon

It sounds like a "pass the buck" situation on the part of the transportation CM as she probably didn't have an answer for you. However, it could be entirely possible that Disney transport has the busses operating for the S&D on a completely different schedule/system. :confused3

Could be possible, but I doubt it as when we stayed at the Dolphin last summer, we used the same buses as the BWI. The buses went there first, then on to the Swan and the Dolphin. If buses are being shared among both the Disney owned and nonDisney owned properties in the Epcot resort area, I would think they'd be on the same schedule.

I agree though that we didn't have a problem at all using the Disney Transportation system. I can't speak for ME as it wasn't available to us obviously, but we didn't have a car that week, and found the buses and ferries to be a convenient way to get around. The wait was rarely more than 5-10 minutes, the travel time was never that long, and I think there were only 1-2 rides that we had where they were crowded enough to where we had to stand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter