Air France Passenger Takes Off Pants on Flight

He wasn't naked, he was wearing boxer shorts. Who cares? Had someone been wearing just boxer shorts that covered everything boarded the plane I doubt most people would have cared. I've seen people, usually women, out in public in boxer shorts from time to time.

I suspect a woman wearing a running bra wouldn't have had any issues either.

Maybe not a running bra but I bet if a woman took off her pants and was sitting there in her panties, or if she took off her shirt and was sitting there in her VS push-up bra the airline wouldn't be so forgiving.

There is a time and place for being comfortable in your undies, and an airplane just isn't it.

Maybe not a running bra but I bet if a woman took off her pants and was sitting there in her panties, or if she took off her shirt and was sitting there in her VS push-up bra the airline wouldn't be so forgiving.

There is a time and place for being comfortable in your undies, and an airplane just isn't it.

I suspect it would depend on how revealing it was. Underwear like this guy, baggy and not really revealing anything, I think they would be just as lax. The same goes in reverse. This guy in something really form-fitting or partially seethrough likely wouldn't have been allowed.

This is also Air France and the Europeans in general are less uptight about nudity or revealing clothing.

So a running bra would be fine, but the boxer shorts aren't? Can you explain that? The boxer shorts are (presumably) covering up everything a normal pair of shorts are. I'm guessing you've probably flown with someone wearing shorts, but going "commando".

Would I do what this guy did? No. But when you take a second to think about it, how is it different than a pair of running shorts?

So a running bra would be fine, but the boxer shorts aren't? Can you explain that? The boxer shorts are (presumably) covering up everything a normal pair of shorts are. I'm guessing you've probably flown with someone wearing shorts, but going "commando".

Would I do what this guy did? No. But when you take a second to think about it, how is it different than a pair of running shorts?

I never said a running bra was fine, I agreed with the pp that the airline probably wouldn't care if it was a running bra.

We have societal norms for a reason, wearing actual clothes out in public is one of those "norms". Are there people who push the envelope, sure but for the most part, the rest of society respects the "rules" we have about certain things. Most people have a sense of appropriateness, class and decorum when out and about with the public.
I am not going to apologize for thinking that people who want to lounge around in their underwear should not be allowed to on an airplane.

I suspect it would depend on how revealing it was. Underwear like this guy, baggy and not really revealing anything, I think they would be just as lax. The same goes in reverse. This guy in something really form-fitting or partially seethrough likely wouldn't have been allowed.

This is also Air France and the Europeans in general are less uptight about nudity or revealing clothing.

Maybe, and maybe it is all airline dependent, or maybe it depends on how uncomfortable the rest of the passengers are.

Are you talking about soft pens?
View attachment 383452
Depends on what the flight attendants look like :D

Speaking of which, how do we know he wasn't wearing Depends under the boxers?

People wear shorts that look like boxers all the time. It wouldn't be any different than if he boarded the plane in shorts that were made of thin printed material.

Except of course, the possibility of the "pen" popping out.

May as well show up how you please at the dining room on a cruise, too. Your tablemates will just have to roll with it.
That's already happening. Formal nights have basically been removed on most cruise lines, along with any sort of dress code (or enforcing thereof).

Depends on what the flight attendants look like :D

Speaking of which, how do we know he wasn't wearing Depends under the boxers?

People wear shorts that look like boxers all the time. It wouldn't be any different than if he boarded the plane in shorts that were made of thin printed material.

Except of course, the possibility of the "pen" popping out.

When I was in grade 9 (back in the old days when it wasn’t considered high school) the big trend for girls was to wear guys boxers as shorts.

I get your point but when you're in a confined space with strangers, you really should show some decorum. Presumably nobody else was taking their pants off so why did this one guy feel like that was the right thing to do?

I get your point but when you're in a confined space with strangers, you really should show some decorum. Presumably nobody else was taking their pants off so why did this one guy feel like that was the right thing to do?
I agree. It's pretty minor overall but where does it end?

I would have thought the man was a bit nutty and probably looked askance at him, maybe even been slightly uncomfortable---but, assuming the boxeers covered as much as a pair of shorts, I would not complain to an FA or expect that they could or should do anything about it---because realistically he was covered in areas that society deems need covering with pretty much as much fabric there as plenty of others regularly wear in public.
Not much different than wearing shorts, as for as how much is covered or in changing into PJs (seen that often on overnight flights) insofar as not being typical daytime public attire (outside of WalMart).
Add in some cultural variation in what is deemed acceptable, and really no big deal.

Reminds me of a trip to Legoland Germany about 9 years ago. It was a chilly day and there is a boat ride where people squirt each other with water. Our family was on a boat and we watched two dads get on the next boat with kids---dad's did not want wet clothes all day and stripped down to underpants and stashed their clothes in a water proof bag as they boarded. we laughed about how people would be calling the police in the US if men stripped to undies on a kids' ride, but no one batted an eyebrow where we were (and nothing innapropriate was showing).

Last edited:
Not much different than wearing shorts, as for as how much is covered or in changing into PJs (seen that often on overnight flights) insofar as not being typical daytime public attire (outside of WalMart).
Addin some cultural variation in what is deemed acceptable, and really no big deals.

Heck, many airlines give me PJs to change into on long/overnight flights (I bring pants/shirt to change into on flights where they don't have PJs). And slippers (though I leave my socks on - just easier not to have to put shoes back on every time I want to use the bathroom/walk a bit). Again, I bring my own if I'm on a flight that doesn't provide them.

Heck, many airlines give me PJs to change into on long/overnight flights (I bring pants/shirt to change into on flights where they don't have PJs). And slippers (though I leave my socks on - just easier not to have to put shoes back on every time I want to use the bathroom/walk a bit). Again, I bring my own if I'm on a flight that doesn't provide them.

Is this for one of the sleeper cabins?

Exactly my point. :thumbsup2 It is pretty common to change out of normal "would wear in public" clothing and into more private, nighttime clothing, for the "sleeping" portion of overnights flights----so that sort of negates the argument that Boxer Boy should not have had boxers showing because people do not normally wear boxers only in public.

I mean, yeah, that is pushing the limits of what the norm is, which is why i might be a bit uncomfortable and/or roll my eyes at it---but once looked at logically for a moment, it violates no rules of deceny, etc which is why I think the flight attendant was correct not to say anything to him and the Tweeter was overreacting to ask.
And TBH, I'd rather be next to Boxer Boy than next to passengers with violent graphics on T shirts or tattoos or wearing clothing with certain political statements on it, but niether case would give me any right to expect the airline to move the passenger or make them change attire either.
I thnk the blogger's take on the whole thing is spot on

Last edited:
Couldn't help but think of this thread when I saw a question on another board about the appropriate wardrobe for dining at a DL restaurant. The temptation to recommend the guy not worry about it, roll out of bed, tour the parks and dine all in the comfort of his boxers was nearly too much to resist.

Then you'd never want to fly with me. When I get in my seat, the first thing I do is take off my shoes. Every time.

If you're fresh and clean and either wearing socks or merely slip bare feet out of sandals and place them on top of the sandals, it's all good. It's inappropriate if you emit a funk IMO. The "gentleman" who is the subject of this thread goes over the line standing around the cabin in his bare feet IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter