Airline VENT!!

TerriP

<font color=deeppink>"Slow 100 Post" Winner<br><fo
Ugh...I'm so frustrated!! I booked Spirit Air in July for our trip the end of September. I planned ahead to get the flights I wanted at the times I wanted...all of that was for NOTHING! :mad:

A post on this board recommended we check with our airline to make sure our flights hadn't changed. I thought that was good advice so I called Spirit and guess what...our flight home had changed! Instead of leaving at 7:30 PM we now leave at 9AM...we lost the whole last day of our trip. :mad:

I told Spirit I was unhappy with this and they basically said "too bad". We can either take that flight, take a flight the next day (and pay for our own hotel that night), or get a refund on THAT leg of our ticket (a one way ticket home is more than the ENTIRE ticket I already paid for!). :mad:

I know that's the way the ball bounces and I'm basically out of luck...I'm just frustrated. This was just a quick getaway trip for my sister and me...losing a day on an already short trip hurts. I guess I'm just looking for my DISfriends to say "Yeah, they suck...you're right!"...:p ;) :rolleyes:

Next time try NWA. They have so many more options and I find the price to be less most the time.

TerriP, sorry to hear you are losing your last day. In a word, that STINKS. However, I am certain that what goes around, comes around -- meaning that the airlines are going to eventually find that jerking consumers around is going to cost them in the end.

Yeah, they suck...you're right!

Sorry to hear about that! It is so frustrating when you pick your flights early, and they have perfect times. Then, they go and change them :mad: It is like being penalized for planning early and booking early!:mad: Then on top of it all, they don't even sympathize with you when you call to see if anything can be done :mad:

I hope your trip is extra wonderful to make up for this disappointment!

"Yeah, they suck...you're right!"...

I'm just crossing my fingers that my flights for Dec.. don't change...good lluck right:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DH and I are flying different airlines due to FF miles....that took a lot of corrdinating...can't wait until they start changing those flights...:( :( :(

They 'orta give you the choice of getting a refund for the entire trip, although finding a good fare on another airline might not be the easiest thing to do.

If you want to go the refund route, you should immediately give them just one more chance, to book you on another flight that is at least partly to your liking. If no such flight exists or they refuse, formally cancel your reservation then and there. Don't mention to them that they can forcibly book you on a sold out flight if they really tried, and worry about asking for volunteers later.

Delta has, from time to time, had one way's that are not too expensive.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Even if the "contract of carriage" seems to be worded against you, an airline is likely to give you your refund rather than go to small claims court where companies that basically say "too bad" need to be taken.

I knew I could count on you guys!!! :p

I did speak with Spirit agents twice yesterday to see if I could get anywhere. The best offer I got was, again, to cancel that leg and get a refund...so, I'm just taking the earlier flight. I'm not thrilled...but it will have to do. :rolleyes:

zurgswife...two separate flights??? Yuck-o! Are the kids split up, too? I wish you luck, my friend....;)

Aw, c'mon people . . .

1) I am not a big fan of airlines because I also get jerked around.
2) When flying over 60,000/year that is some jerking.

3) However, airlines change schedules for financial reasons.
4) A smaller airline has limited flights to start with.
5) If they change schedues, there are few alteratives.
6) It is best to take a large airline (Eg. Northwest, American).
7) If flights are moved, there are more alternatives.
8) If you want cheap fares, that is the trade-off chance (with the exception maybe of Southwest).

I don't know anything about Spirit, but when I flew Continental and they had a problem with the plane, I was able to have them put me on a Delta fllight. That was a few years ago, though. The airlines used to have deals or understandings or parent companies that they could switch you to. (If you ask) Does Spirit have anything like that?

Airline schedules can change due to a variety of factors. I agree that going from 730PM to 900AM is a big change and can undestand your frustration. Didn't Spirit offer another later flight that day? Airline travel is way down and a smaller airline like Spirit may cut down to one flight a day if the traffic doesn't warrant having more flights. They did offer to refund or change the day of your return. At least that is something. If they only offer one flight per day, that is probably the best that they could do in the situation.

From Spirit airlines website: Contract of carriage

http://www.spiritair.com/contractcarriage.cfm?Language=English#REFUNDS

If no portion of the ticket has been used, the refund will be equal to the fare paid by the passenger. If a portion of the ticket has been used the refund will be equal to the value of the unused portion. Customers involved in a Spirit Airlines initiated cancellation or schedule change will have three(3) options available to them, Reaccommodation, future Flight Credit or Refund.

Go get your refund from them - do not let them say they will not refund it - it is thier policy to refund the entire unused ticket.

Terri: When are you going? I'm also flying Spirit out of Detroit at the end of the month and I don't see return flights coming back that early. (Your post caused me to double check our flights.) I chose to leave at 11:15 a.m. because I'm traveling with my 7 year old. For around the end of September, I'm just seeing returns of 11:15 a.m. and 7:30.

I wish you could stay another day!! That does stink.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter