Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Looks like Airmiles has some old Disney Canadian Residents tickets left over, 7 day tickets, expiry September 27.

View attachment 419138
Does anyone happen to know if these tickets will hold their $ value if they are not used before the expiry date? I would be interested in getting a couple but only IF I can hold them and just pay the difference next year?
There is a VERY slight chance I will
make it to WDW this year but it could be either a 4-5 trip over Labour Day or else a week at Christmas. I guess I should investigate what people were reporting at the start of the year with tickets that expired on Dec 31....how the $ value was applied towards new tickets.

@dancin Disney style , I would wait and let the deal pass by. I was in a rush a few years ago to get tickets while they were on the website and a better offer showed up a little while later. Waiting may cost a few more AM but you'll know you have tickets you can use at a value you can verify if you wait. Disney changes so many things all the time I (personally) don't think it's worth the risk. The world is a crazy place these days who knows what's going to be going on next year and whether you'll want to go to Disney.

@bababear_50 , Your posting about the Christmas in July promo has convinced me I shouldn't let this one pass me by. I'll pick up some Indigo GC (Xmas gifts), Ink for the printer (Staples), and an assortment of things I need from Lowes. Off to shop.

@dancin Disney style , I would wait and let the deal pass by. I was in a rush a few years ago to get tickets while they were on the website and a better offer showed up a little while later. Waiting may cost a few more AM but you'll know you have tickets you can use at a value you can verify if you wait. Disney changes so many things all the time I (personally) don't think it's worth the risk. The world is a crazy place these days who knows what's going to be going on next year and whether you'll want to go to Disney.
Thanks.......I def don't want to be in a spot with tickets that will cost me a small fortune to update. I wouldn't mind paying say $75ish per ticket but beyond that I'd really have to think about it. Since I'm a micro planner that not knowing would be stressful. I have not paid for park tickets for approx. 14 years (thank you AM) and I've got a few tickets in the vault but they have those 2030 expiry dates, so I'd like to hold on to those as long as possible. I suppose I was looking at this as adding to the vault.

LOL....no joke....I think about going to WDW on a daily basis. So I'm pretty sure I'll want to go next year but you are certainly right the world is a crazy place now.

:offtopic: I did an interesting survey last night. It was about current points rewards systems. It included rewards with CC and just a regular old points card. It was interesting. It also had questions on what and how we redeem the points. I sure wasn't going to let them know that for Cash miles with AM and optimum points that I transfer all the money from free groceries into a slush fund for vacation!!!!! It was one of the more interesting ones I have done in awhile. It was a long on though...45 minutes and got 26 AM for completing it. I'll take those 26 AM because I had the remote and was watching TV at the same time. It was an easy 26 AM

I'd wait to buy those tickets.........................just saying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I saw that last week. There was an article attached to where I saw it. They are all family members. I don't think it said what the fight was over but the cops were called and all parties were removed from the park.

I've had the pleasure of witnessing a few very heated argument at WDW. One that turned into a shoving match.

Ahhhhhhhh....any hope of a app code that is different for that Rexall coupon??
:magnify:
Hugs
Mel
The chance of that happening is somewhere between "not a chance in h ---" and a pretty solid nah. They have been happening on Wednesdays about once a month (and we are due for one BTW), and when they do there's not a Monday email coupon & most of us don't have threshold loadngo offers for the week. The info is usually on the Rexall website first. I've got my eyes open because i gotta get me some cash miles to try your suggestion of Sobey's e-cards!

Thanks.......I def don't want to be in a spot with tickets that will cost me a small fortune to update. I wouldn't mind paying say $75ish per ticket but beyond that I'd really have to think about it. Since I'm a micro planner that not knowing would be stressful. I have not paid for park tickets for approx. 14 years (thank you AM) and I've got a few tickets in the vault but they have those 2030 expiry dates, so I'd like to hold on to those as long as possible. I suppose I was looking at this as adding to the vault.

LOL....no joke....I think about going to WDW on a daily basis. So I'm pretty sure I'll want to go next year but you are certainly right the world is a crazy place now.

I checked a 7 day Airmiles Canadian ticket's value at guest services in April (2019), exact same ticket expiry etc. : $332.60 USD

I think this would be good for a less avid collector in a pinch for any type of savings,. But you are one of the focused collectors that can work the system and accumulate airmiles, you'll have a better deal to come for sure and have personal shoppers as an option too.

Last edited:
We would only be getting them to convert to Annual Passes anyways so that's why I'll have to look closely. We are there for 8 days, probably enter the parks 7 days if only to do a walk through. If we get one Preferred Pass, which is one of the AP's I requested then we would be able to get the AP room discount as well as the discounts on food and purchases which could really add up. We did this last time and the passes paid for themselves.
I don't see the 2 park plus 3 day online so I can't tell what the value is but for the AP's I requested, one Preferred and one Power, I can see the value of a AM is 8.58 cents, that's using 1.34 as an exchange rate. Since the value of an AM is 9.5 cents (95AM divided by $10) then my 'loss' would be about a penny an AM, $113. Unless I'm doing something wrong which is possible.
Also, being retired staff, my rate today is 1.3085 which brings my value per AM to 8.3857 so I kind of lose a bit more.

Well, again, I'll have to think through the pros and cons. I'm thinking that if I get the AP's now I won't have to worry about trying to exchange them at the parks, which was a bit of a pain last time. That in itself is worth something I guess.

Just for my interest, I calculated your APs at 9.5 cents per airmile using your 1.34 exchange rate putting it on par with cash miles. $798.74USD per Universal Website x 1.34 / 11300 = 9.47 cents CAD per airmile

I believe both your quotes are on par with all the other personal shopper quotes:

2 park 2day + 3 Free days = 4287 airmiles / $303.52 USD Universal website = 14..12 airmiles per USD (definitely better to buy dream miles tickets)
2-park preferred ap + 2-park Power ap = 11,300 airmiles / $798.74 = 14.15 airmiles per USD

Also, just wondering, did you consider the 2-park seasonal ap instead of the 2-park power ap???

Also, just wondering, did you consider the 2-park seasonal ap instead of the 2-park power ap???
No, I never did consider that but since you put the thought into my head...…..BRILLIANT IDEA!! The blackout dates don't effect us. It would save us a few dollars as well and like I love saying to my husband, that's dinner!
Thanks for suggesting that.

The chance of that happening is somewhere between "not a chance in h ---" and a pretty solid nah. They have been happening on Wednesdays about once a month (and we are due for one BTW), and when they do there's not a Monday email coupon & most of us don't have threshold loadngo offers for the week. The info is usually on the Rexall website first. I've got my eyes open because i gotta get me some cash miles to try your suggestion of Sobey's e-cards!

Sobey's e-cards? I missed something.

Sobey's e-cards? I missed something.
Yeah, I wasn't aware that sobey's not only lets you use cash miles at the store but you can also get ecards online. I find that's easier for me to use, my mind gets confused when I need to redeem miles at the till! Mel mentioned it once and I filed it under the category of dummy, don't forget! Now that the bulk of our trip is paid for we need to save up cash and this will help us get groceries and not spend any money. I figure I'll just redeem miles whenever a good flyer appears!!! All we ever get at Sobeys are things that have big bonuses so using the gift cards we get from collecting miles I see it as a pretty nifty double dipping.

Does anyone happen to know if these tickets will hold their $ value if they are not used before the expiry date? I would be interested in getting a couple but only IF I can hold them and just pay the difference next year?
There is a VERY slight chance I will
make it to WDW this year but it could be either a 4-5 trip over Labour Day or else a week at Christmas. I guess I should investigate what people were reporting at the start of the year with tickets that expired on Dec 31....how the $ value was applied towards new tickets.
I currently have one of these tickets. We had a March break trip that we cancelled. My dd is going down to Universal with her boyfriend next month . She’s going to Disney Springs for dinner one night so I am reassigning the ticket to her , and she’s going to go upgrade it for me. Might not be soon enough to help you but I will report back what it cost to upgrade to a 5 day with a valid expiry.
Incidentally we have rescheduled that March trip for late fall. When we cancelled we had tickets , a boatload in Disney gift cards from holidays and savings, and 40% of our Bonnet Creek reservation paid for. Bonnet Creek let us move it to the end of the year , we used all of our airmiles for flights , and between coupons , rebates , credit cards and PC points we have covered the rest :banana:.
The cash outlay will be less than $500 but this Canadian resident ticket upgrade needs to come from that $500 so I’m hoping it’s not terrible.

Last edited:
I checked a 7 day Airmiles Canadian ticket's value at guest services in April (2019), exact same ticket expiry etc. : $332.60 USD

I think this would be good for a less avid collector in a pinch for any type of savings,. But you are one of the focused collectors that can work the system and accumulate airmiles, you'll have a better deal to come for sure and have personal shoppers as an option too.
That's a good value. It actually might be a good idea for me to get a couple of those tickets. However, that assumes that once they expire they just turn into a cash value. For us 3 or 4 day tickets are perfect on most trips so the OOP would be low. I did a little hunting around yesterday and really couldn't find any info as to how expired tickets are handled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!