Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I was just reading through the Optimum collecting thread. If this drought with Airmiles doesn't disappear with the change of seasons I think I may find myself switching over to focusing on Optimum points (do you hear that Airmiles?). It will take a bit of re-education but I think I'm up for the challenge.

I was just reading through the Optimum collecting thread. If this drought with Airmiles doesn't disappear with the change of seasons I think I may find myself switching over to focusing on Optimum points (do you hear that Airmiles?). It will take a bit of re-education but I think I'm up for the challenge.

I'm with you....I seem to go through times when I am collecting 100s of AM each week to times when it has been 2 to 3 weeks with nothing, however the same thing can happen with Optimum. This week I had 18 offers and of those 18 offers, 14 were for items I purchased last week and would not be repurchasing again so quickly.

I shifted my focus about 6 months ago. I still collect Air Miles, but more so during bigger promotions (blue friday, big events...) but my everyday collecting is more PC points. It’s worth a bit of education...in less than 6 months, I’ve redeemed over 500$ in points.

I think @Mickey&JoshNut is right that jumping back and forth is ideal. Keeps those point-droughts away!

This week I had 18 offers and of those 18 offers, 14 were for items I purchased last week and would not be repurchasing again so quickly.
Same BUT at least they are for things I use and not the crap I get from the Rexall load and go, they are things I never or seldom use. I mean, buy two boxes of Neo Citran get 10 AM's? I might do that once a year, might, but I get that offer every week. Also, I can save the top four things I like with PC which I can't do with Rexall and to finish it off, while Rexall's in bigger area's seem to have a better grocery section my Rexall does not. Shoppers does and it's standard across the brand, not just stores here and there.

I still love me an AM but they are getting harder and harder to get. I'm still waiting on the 20x's from a purchase I made at Apple in June, never even got the standard AM's on that purchase. They tell me I can't even talk to them about it till August 26th. PC would have had this one cleared up in a week. I'll use the benefit from both programs now that I have them pretty much figured out.
If it were not for this group and its great knowledge I would have given up a long time ago so thank you to the ones who put in so much time to help us all! You know who you are, lol.

I agree, too. I can do much better at Shoppers than Rexall. I keep getting bandaids. We don't have little ones, so a box of bandaids lasts me years-and I certainly don't need 2 (since it is always buy 2!) Add to that, Rexall is nowhere near me! I just posted my score for yesterday from Shoppers. I'm pretty sure it was the best that I have ever done!

Can you use points to buy gift cards ?

Technically no, but if you have $50 in PC Optimum points, you would buy $50 worth of groceries that you would have already been buying, then you add a $50 Disney gift card (or whatever gift card you would like) and your total is $100. You redeem $50 of your points and pay $50. As long as you have $50 of groceries, you can redeem the points towards your groceries and "technically" you pay for the gift card. But in reality since you were going to buy the groceries anyway, it is like you get the gift card for free. I hope that makes sense.

Technically no, but if you have $50 in PC Optimum points, you would buy $50 worth of groceries that you would have already been buying, then you add a $50 Disney gift card (or whatever gift card you would like) and your total is $100. You redeem $50 of your points and pay $50. As long as you have $50 of groceries, you can redeem the points towards your groceries and "technically" you pay for the gift card. But in reality since you were going to buy the groceries anyway, it is like you get the gift card for free. I hope that makes sense.
This is exactly what I do. After having all my points stolen I no longer allow the balance to build up much past 50,000. Since I save my points to cover the weeks that I can't work in the winter I mainly cash out for PC gift cards.

I don't work the PC programme to it's fullest but then it doesn't mesh with our banking methods, our spending habits or the stores we shop at regularly. I don't even push my spending that much with AM but I'm happy with our hauls when they work out!

Case in point: our toaster oven finally toasted it last piece of bread on Friday. It was a wedding present from the family I was a nanny for and that will be 35 years in November so it had a good run :P We did some research and decided I would buy it online thru HBC to get more miles. Looking online as we stood in front of a row of metal boxes I found the one we settled on thru Amazon, on sale for $80 less than the Bay 😱 OK, so off we went to Shell, bought 3 giftcards for Amazon --score 75 AM -- came home, added them to my account, ordered the toaster oven, got to the check out and I was $15 short, nip over to one of my survey accounts & redeemed points for yet another Amazon gift card, added that to the account and place the order! The pre:tax total was $149, that will net me (uhm not sure on the math here --) close to 80 miles? SO a dead toaster oven led to almost 150 AM, pretty darned close to my 1:1 ratio!!!

I love that you name all your appliances. What are you going to call this one? Or do you have to wait until it arrives to decide what it looks like?

I love that you name all your appliances. What are you going to call this one? Or do you have to wait until it arrives to decide what it looks like?
I'm thinking it might be Teddy, I actually had already talked about this with the hubby, he rolled his eyes at me and said it might need a more formal name since it's a Breville, perhaps Belvedere 🤣Anyone who gets that reference is dating themselves BTW!

@mort1331 did you end up going to the Air Miles Rob Rainford event?
We did, it was great. Great weather, it was held on the patio. Spent a lot of time with Rob, and found out he lives a street away from where my wife grew up. So some of the old neighbours are still there. Also the food was great and parting gift were nice too.

For all those thinking of adding to the PC program, Tinkerone has started a great thread on here as well.
Work both for the max return. There is weekly 20X events. I have finally explained to the wife to wait a day or 2 before shopping when one is coming up and now she gets it.
Been with PCpoints from day one, lots of advantages.

We did, it was great. Great weather, it was held on the patio. Spent a lot of time with Rob, and found out he lives a street away from where my wife grew up. So some of the old neighbours are still there. Also the food was great and parting gift were nice too.

Excellent!
We really toyed with going but my hubby had knee surgery and we were not sure if he would be able to tolerate a whole night out.
Glad to know you had a good time at least!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!