Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I hate to say that I called this happening this year, but it looks like it did :guilty: No Back (or Pack) to School promo, instead a "contest" with only a chance to win $500 in gift cards --and only 125 winners in each region. As some of you have mentioned even the coupons aren't that great -- thresholds are HUGE and the return isn't even coming close to my 1:1 ratio. The only one that might do that is the Rexall offer of spend $30 on head-to-toe stuff and get 50 miles, it should be able to combine with the Thursday flyer offer of spend $50 get 100 miles that has been happening for the last several months.

My suggestion to anyone who is enticed by this promo is to NOT do the "freebie-ish" offers --MissFresh, Samsung Pay, Rewarding Your Opinion (and any others I've missed on first glance) -- because they will more than likely be included in the (possible) Shop the Block promo in Nov/Dec which *should* allow you to actually get some miles!

I'm not planning on doing a separate thread for this promo, unless anyone thinks it might be helpful, because I don't see it generating much interest. I will put a link in the first post for the promo so we can find it easily.

Figured I would take the time to search out the info on last year's TWO "school" related promos while waiting for the flyer links to go live (they're very dismal on first glance BTW)

One promo was called PACK to School and it included some coupons/offers to use at different stores, each offer gave you one entry into a contest for $5,000 credit with WestJet. That ran from August 9th - September 9th

The other promo was call BACK to School and required online shopping of at least $20 per transaction. 2 = 100 miles, 3 = 300 miles and 5 = 1000 miles. That was a royal PIA .. we had a 26 page thread active during the promo and FOUR of them were completely full of our chatter over getting the danged miles posted properly. It was a massive EPIC FAIL on their part. This one ran from August 7th - September 9th

Will they have something similar to either of these promos this August? Don't think any of us can answer that at this point in time BUT if they do and it looks like it would help things move smoother, I'll start a separate thread!

@Donald - my hero, I went back to this post of yours and felt that Round Up is replacing PACK to school and the Back to School airmilesshops promo MAY start August 20, when the Round Up airmilesshops offer expires.

@Donald - my hero, I went back to this post of yours and felt that Round Up is replacing PACK to school and the Back to School airmilesshops promo MAY start August 20, when the Round Up airmilesshops offer expires.
That's a possibility, but unless they drop the threshold that's currently at $100 there's no way I'll be doing it!!!!!! Fingers crossed because I always have a list sitting on my desk of things I can order online.

That's a possibility, but unless they drop the threshold that's currently at $100 there's no way I'll be doing it!!!!!! Fingers crossed because I always have a list sitting on my desk of things I can order online.

My thoughts are that it would be a major marketing blunder to offer Christmas in July, when everyone is usually on holidays, and cancel a Back to School promo when everyone is usually shopping. I do however also think August 20 is pretty late to start a Back to School promo (two weeks before school goes back) but maybe they wanted to switch to a 2 week promo. All hypothetical ... I'm waiting for a better deal too.

Went to see Toy Story 4 this morning, back now and finally had an opportunity to go through the Round-up promotion. I won't be doing it for the contest entry but I will do several of the retail offers for their bonus AM. Metro, Sobeys (GC), Shell (GC), Rexall and BMO. The GC I need now and I consider them to be free AM. Metro, I've been using my cash AM at the store and taking the cash saved and putting it aside, so this is just part of what I'm doing these days anyway.

I do believe that AM is changing up the way they are doing promotions. More often and offering fewer bonus AM. This will reduce the number of people who do multiple cards (just not worth it) and keep people shopping in order to get those bonus AM. I hope they don't change the format of "Shop the Block".

My thoughts are that it would be a major marketing blunder to offer Christmas in July, when everyone is usually on holidays, and cancel a Back to School promo when everyone is usually shopping. I do however also think August 20 is pretty late to start a Back to School promo (two weeks before school goes back) but maybe they wanted to switch to a 2 week promo. All hypothetical ... I'm waiting for a better deal too.
It also doesn't even address the fact that they rarely (if ever) have 2 promos overlapping. Looking at my records the bonus from one promo will post before long before the next one starts:

1. Shop the Block 2018 posted Feb 14th and Mega Miles started March 21st
  2. Online mess 2018 posted (finally for some) Oct 25th and Shop the Block started Nov 15th
  3. Mega Miles 2018 posted May 30th and Online mess started August 7th
Now this is different in that it's only a contest, so perhaps they *might* add another BUT I'm thinking what might happen is there will be a different *offer* for the online shopping within in the contest -- it's very odd that the current one doesn't run for the entire time frame. These are only the musing of The Duck and should be taken with a grain of salt -- I am by no means an expert!!!

So now that I have looked at the new promo. I wont be chasing the points, but without trying or buying anything I dont need, I will be able to get the 5 stores. Sobeys, urban fresh, foodland, shell, and metro.
Yes the points back on the GC are half of what they were, and the cards themselves are more in dollar value, I still buy them, so free points. I almost always buy the max and they are gone before the next promo. But I am buying the lotto tickets for the company, so they eat up a lot of the GC themselves and money that really doesnt come from me.
Interesting looking at the fine print for Shell and what counts. either a $25 or $50 GC for the lotto gets you 20am. Well I think I will be buying the $25 ones for better bang for buck. All promos are max 5 cards.

It also doesn't even address the fact that they rarely (if ever) have 2 promos overlapping. Looking at my records the bonus from one promo will post before long before the next one starts:

1. Shop the Block 2018 posted Feb 14th and Mega Miles started March 21st
  2. Online mess 2018 posted (finally for some) Oct 25th and Shop the Block started Nov 15th
  3. Mega Miles 2018 posted May 30th and Online mess started August 7th
Now this is different in that it's only a contest, so perhaps they *might* add another BUT I'm thinking what might happen is there will be a different *offer* for the online shopping within in the contest -- it's very odd that the current one doesn't run for the entire time frame. These are only the musing of The Duck and should be taken with a grain of salt -- I am by no means an expert!!!

I just noticed that ebates is running Back to School Bonanza promo Aug 6 to Aug 19 (I have a one page mailed flyer from them from a few months ago that I kept), then are switching to Super Cash Back Party Aug 28 to Sept 16. Since the Round-up Airmilesshops' offer runs the same dates Aug 6 to Aug 19, perhaps airmiles switched the dates to match.

I see that the Sobeys and Foodland giftcard promo require a coupon and are the same code, which I imagine means you can't max out at Sobeys and go to Foodland for more gift cards ???? I don't know the answer, just throwing this out there, this won't effect me for this promo but just a heads up. Sobeys Urban Fresh is a different code.

wow $200 Gift card is a jump for Sobeys and Foodland,,
I'm out for this Round UP)
Hugs
Mel

I'm not happy with the return on the gift card. I can deal with the $50 increase but I am :headache: with the decrease in air miles. Boo!!

As long as I can still purchase Shell gift cards I will purchase 5 on my air miles card.

Ugh, I'm another on not thrilled with the Round Up Contest.

After scanning the offers, I will probably get:

Thrifty Foods Gift Card - I still have some from the last promo but I'll use the gc eventually so might as well get 100am along with it.
Rexall - I can definitely scrape together $30 worth of stuff
Shell - Anyone know if this is the exact same offer that has been around all Summer for $50 gift cards? If so, then I can't do it because I have already received the100am maximum. :(
I might be able to do the airmilesshop.ca one for my 3rd but there is no way I will get 5.

Boo to this promo! 👎

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter