Airmiles Armchair Chatter

a217c076f76903282c80e8a98b319168.jpg

I just Got the email for spend $100.00 get 150 airmiles
And I get cookies too!
Hugs Mel

grrrrrr. I just got my latest AmEx statement--I should have the bonus for 4x online shopping for August's Soar into More, but I have no bonus miles on the statement! My 4 online purchases (2x amazon.ca, 2xchapters) are split over 2 bills because of when my billing cycle ends, but they're all listed on my statements. I also checked to see that the July SIM bonus (gas station shop) showed up no problem. I'm concerned that they're going to suggest that I didn't properly opt in, and I'm not sure there's any way to disprove that point. I think I have screen shots, but the page just says "congrats, you've opted in" with no identifying information anywhere. Argh, thanks for being a thorn in my side today, AmEx! :badpc:

How have others dealt with missing bonus miles from AmEx? Should I wait for another billing cycle before phoning? Phone and complain now? Has anyone had a good resolution when seeking missing SIM bonus miles?

I don't think you need worry yet. I still don't have them either and I have spoke to others in the same boat. The first offer went through but nothing since. Not sure what they are waiting for but I think its AMEX wide and not just a few of us.
Dug out the fine print connected to this promo: The fine print is in red and my *understanding* is in my purple :D

You must use your enrolled Card online at a participating Canadian merchant to make a qualifying purchase between August 1, 2017 and August 31, 2017.
**** So you just had to so the shopping during the month of August so long as the next section is also true you should be fine!

Eligible purchases must be processed by no later than the end of the Offer Period of August 31, 2017; and be posted to the Cardmember's Account by no later than September 14, 2017 at 11:59:59 p.m. EST. If a purchase is completed using the enrolled Card during the Offer Period – but, is not processed and posted to the Cardmember's Account by September 14, 2017 at 11:59:59 p.m. EST – then, it will NOT count as a qualifying purchase for the Offer Period.

****You can look at your statement and see when the transaction was posted to your account, in most cases it will be the next business day after you "shopped"

This Bonus Miles offer may take up to 2 billing cycles to appear on your statement and up to 90 days to be posted to your AIR MILES Collector Account, after you have completed the eligible purchases. American Express is responsible for fulfillment of this offer. LoyaltyOne, Co. is not responsible for this Bonus Miles offer

This last section is where it gets confusing re:when can we complain and start to track them down? 90 days after the transation?? 2 billing cycles (which in your case where it is split in the middle of the offer!)... exactly how many days is that? I guess the bill that just came is 1 cycle? I can't tease this out. AND i have no idea what to do about the extra 100 that should have come from signing into the APP OR

Log in to the Amex App by August 31st, 2017 to get 100 Bonus Miles. If you don't have an eligible device to download the Amex app, you can also get this 100 Bonus Miles by logging into Online Services on your mobile device instead.

I got the email too and it pains me to say I can't use it. I need maybe $30 worth of groceries to top up the freezer before I abandon DS and head off to Orlando. Next Friday better not be Ontario's Blue Friday because I will miss that too.

Happy hunting to those who are able to make use of the email bonus.
I don't think I can use it either.
I had to buy a lot of meat last Sunday....there was literally 3 chicken breasts left in my freezer. I figured that this week I would only need produce and milk. I will text my DD(she will be home from school this weekend for a grand total of 24hrs) to see if she can come up a list of things she would want to take with her. I will get some cookies today for sure and maybe the Maple Lodge sliced meat. If I could make the $100 it could be a 300+AM shop :scratchin

Happy Friday! :)

I went to Sobey's this morning in Oakville (3rd Line & Upper Middle) to buy cookies and Maple Leaf chicken bologne and hot dogs.

The cookies didn't have the sign under them about Buy 4 get 50 free AM which I thought was strange as the meats did. But there was a sign saying $1.99 or Buy 2 or more $1.49 each! Not sure if this is an in-store special or an error. When I rang up all my cookies the 50 bonus AM came up but the price appeared as 1.99 each. I asked the guy working the self checkout and he checked the shelf and said yes the price is $1.49 for 2 or more. So he gave me one for free (Code of Conduct) and changed the rest to $1.49 without me even asking. Again, not sure if it's an error or not, but he didn't seem concerned at all.

Between the cheese strings purchase yesterday and this morning's purchase that's almost 350 AM and the kids lunch supplies are well stocked up. They're thrilled because I never buy cheese strings or cookies...so it's win win all around!:dogdance:

A lot of people seem to try to accumulate miles for disney tickets. I am hoping someone can help me understand. When I looked up the number of miles required for the tickets it seems that it costs about the same as the value if you just redeemed the airmiles for cash at the stores. Am I mistaken? Do people just like feeling like they aren't paying for the tickets? If someone could show me a real advantage fiscally I would like to refocus efforts to gaining more airmiles. thanks,

A lot of people seem to try to accumulate miles for disney tickets. I am hoping someone can help me understand. When I looked up the number of miles required for the tickets it seems that it costs about the same as the value if you just redeemed the airmiles for cash at the stores. Am I mistaken? Do people just like feeling like they aren't paying for the tickets? If someone could show me a real advantage fiscally I would like to refocus efforts to gaining more airmiles. thanks,
You could be right, I've never done the math, however I don't really see the difference in whether or not you get the Disney tickets with air miles or use the air miles to purchase products in store and then take the saved cash and buy Disney tickets (if that is what you meant). Its just easier, in my mind, to get the tickets through air miles than to collect cash not used in place of air miles, convert it to US and then purchase the tickets using the US cash.
Is this making any sense?? I hope you can understand what I mean.

FYI, I just had an email that my Amex statement was ready to view so I pulled it up and it shows a bonus of 800 AM which would be the spend $400 in September bonus. I still don't see the offer for Aug go through yet (shop at 4 online stores and get the Amex app), that's 500 I'm still waiting for. I may just give them a call and ask why it hasn't shown yet.

ETA--Just spoke with Amex and the person I spoke with could not get his head around what I was missing. He also did not read the offer the way the email has it, he said that it had to be a minimum of $100 per purchase for each 100 AM. Not what my email states. Anyways, I know have a reference number and I'm to call back in 3 days to see what they can figure out. Anyone else waiting still for the August offer to go through, you might want to start calling and get ahead of this thing. I can see its gong to be a fight. Lol.

Last edited:

For me...I see it as a bonus. If they are offering AM on an item that I will use...it's free miles = less money that I have to spend/save for tickets to Disney. We are a family of 5 ( one adult daughter who would never forgive us if we went without her ). We are an active family that enjoys the outdoors - ( snowmachines, atvs, bows etc etc etc etc ) So saving for a trip to Disney is VERY VERY hard. If I can pay for a huge portion of a trip with AM that I basically get for free for buying products we use..that is less money I have to save for a trip that I want my kids to experience. So for me...it's a win win!!! I also use my PC points from my card...when I get 100.00 worth of free groceries, I either take the cash out. or purchase a visa giftcard to use towards purchasing more tickets or for something else for our trip. I'm almost at my 4th giftcard collected since the beginning of the year. I'm a determined momma...and this momma wants her kids to experience Disney and Universal. So that's why I collect AM and PC points. And I don't buy things that have AM or points if we don't use it.

Happy hunting :flower:

Foodland yesterday: natrel milk 4.99/4L, and get 30Am if you bought 2 – I bought 8 J (3 kids, we drink lots of milk!) Total spend with other stuff 70.73, 130 airmiles
Sobeys yesterday: cheese strings were there! Bought 18 J plus some bagels, cinnamon breads, tortillas, plus lots of targeted offers – total spend 126.96, 441 airmiles
Metro Wednesday: Massive stock-up, lots of targeted offers, plus a 100 am coupon if I bought 175$+ - total spend 316, 264 airmiles
Shell yesterday: gas 5 AM (+ 5 cents off per litre at this location), plus another 10 AM for threshold gas spend, Cineplex gift cards – spent 150$, got 165 airmiles

Never did make it to Rexall, but not bad - in two days 1015 airmiles, plus another 73 to come from my credit card - that's another 120$ off my cruise, woohoo!

AM math time!

Tickets on AM (7day base) 5200AM /95*10 = $547.37 Cdn

Tickets on WDW (7day base) $436.65US (tax incl) *1.2505 (todays buy rate US$) = $546.03 Cdn

At the current exchange rate and with no special discount for Canadians yes you could be indifferent as to who you purchase your tickets from. Most of us here on this thread, as others have mentioned, take advantage of the "Bonus offers" and those don't cost us any more out of pocket cash than we would have spent anyway. (Get AM for shopping online, picking up groceries at competitive prices, using your credit card) It just means strategically planning where you shop and occasionally stock piling non perishables and those tickets can be considered free!

For instance Monday to Thursday I shop at Rexall to pick up milk, eggs, cheese, bread and usually a drug store item or two. I take advantage of the Load and Go offer and the weekly email and come home with 100+ AM for items I could have picked up at another store at the same price.

AM Hunting is a bit of work, on the computer reading this thread and searching flyers, as well as a little extra driving but it can pay off.

The choice is yours as to whether it's worth it. Hope you join the Hunt!

We got our three 5-day WDW tickets and three 2-day US tickets from air miles. And I'd say about 90% of those miles were from bonuses on products and promotional sign-ups for credit cards (the cards waived the annual fee as part of the promotion and we cancelled at the 11th month so we wouldn't be locked in for another year).

I don't buy things JUST to get bonus miles. I still make sure it's an item we would or could consume / use.

If I just saved the base miles, I likely wouldn't even give two hoots about the program. The bonuses are where it's at!

FYI, I just had an email that my Amex statement was ready to view so I pulled it up and it shows a bonus of 800 AM which would be the spend $400 in September bonus. I still don't see the offer for Aug go through yet (shop at 4 online stores and get the Amex app), that's 500 I'm still waiting for. I may just give them a call and ask why it hasn't shown yet.

ETA--Just spoke with Amex and the person I spoke with could not get his head around what I was missing. He also did not read the offer the way the email has it, he said that it had to be a minimum of $100 per purchase for each 100 AM. Not what my email states. Anyways, I know have a reference number and I'm to call back in 3 days to see what they can figure out. Anyone else waiting still for the August offer to go through, you might want to start calling and get ahead of this thing. I can see its gong to be a fight. Lol.

My AMEX statement also shows I received the 800 AM bonus for the spend $400 in September. It's not showing on Air Miles yet.

I think the person you spoke to at AMEX was confused because there were two offers in August.

1)
Shop at 4 online stores and use the AMEX app to get 500 Air Miles (Aug 1-31 but enroll your card by Aug 13th)

2) Each time you spend $100 or more you would get 100 air miles. Cumulative up to $500 (and 500 air miles) BUT the purchase had to be at least $100 or more EACH time to be part of the cumulative $500. That ran from Aug 7-31st. No need to enroll your card.

I just got off the phone with AMEX because I received 500 air miles on my August statement (instead of 1,000) and 800 on my September statement. She looked into it and said I received the 500 air miles for the second offer. The first offer (shop at 4 stores) I haven't received and it could take 90 days from August 31 before I get it. She said she'd leave on a note on my file that I already called about the missing miles. Hopefully I'll get them next statement, but it may not show up until November or December's statement.

My AMEX statement also shows I received the 800 AM bonus for the spend $400 in September. It's not showing on Air Miles yet.

I think the person you spoke to at AMEX was confused because there were two offers in August.

1)
Shop at 4 online stores and use the AMEX app to get 500 Air Miles (Aug 1-31 but enroll your card by Aug 13th)

2) Each time you spend $100 or more you would get 100 air miles. Cumulative up to $500 (and 500 air miles) BUT the purchase had to be at least $100 or more EACH time to be part of the cumulative $500. That ran from Aug 7-31st. No need to enroll your card.

I just got off the phone with AMEX because I received 500 air miles on my August statement (instead of 1,000) and 800 on my September statement. She looked into it and said I received the 500 air miles for the second offer. The first offer (shop at 4 stores) I haven't received and it could take 90 days from August 31 before I get it. She said she'd leave on a note on my file that I already called about the missing miles. Hopefully I'll get them next statement, but it may not show up until November or December's statement.
Thank you for that information. I did not know about offer 2 although how I missed it is a mystery to me. Lol. I would have been all over that one.

Its odd though that they have given all the AM's for all offers, even the most recent one, but non for the August 1 offer. you would think that they would post ahead of the September offer. Oh well, I'll get it some way or another. Thanks again for the information.

Yes, the current value of the Disney tickets are at par with the cash miles, airmiles readjusted their pricing a couple of weeks ago. I've been redeeming for Disney tickets since the 90s and this is the first time that Disney tickets weren't a much better deal than other airmiles options.

You will come out ahead with Dream miles if airmiles runs a Disney promo, the exchange rate changes unfavourably for Canada or if Disney raises their prices (this is assuming that you stick to the actual ticket from airmiles and not use it as a credit to buy a different Disney ticket).

You are better off with cash miles if you are buying at a discount (Undercover Tourist, CAA etc.), if you buy a Disney package where you need to buy the tickets as well etc. and you put the money aside each time you cash in airmiles cash. I personally find this hard to do, imho it's another thing to keep track of for little gain.

Good day for airmiles.

Sobeys, spent $50, 211 ams, 150 on the Maple Lodge products and 61 from loaded and little book personal offers. Low stock on all the Maple Lodge meats, they didn't bring in the Maple Lodge cooked chicken breast but had the smoked variety. Lots of cookies stocked (Peek Freans weren't included in promo) but I passed. I could have done the 150am wus $100 promo but I'm so stocked up on things that I really don't want more stock.

Rexall spent $39, received 115 airmiles. My LGO offer is 100 wus $50 this week so I would likely had been better to wait for the weekday email coupon but I decided to shop the weekend deals which I rarely do. I will likely use the weekday coupon as well.

Foodland spent $14, received 111 airmiles. Pizza offer and personal coupons, they had a total of 7 pizzas in store, I took 4 so the next person will be out of luck. This is a very small store so I didn't expect many but they obviously hadn't brought any in for the sale.

Last edited:

Right now it's the same value (cash versus air miles tickets) but the way I look at it I will get my tickets for almost free through Air Miles.

I don't purchase what I don't need. And I pass up the air miles if I believe the price is too high. Rexall has a promotion happening today (this weekend?) spend $50 and get 113 air miles. Plus their flyer is loaded with bonus air miles. There will be people here who will spend that $50 and walk away with 300-400 air miles. I won't be one this time because the offers are not anything I can use.

However I pick up bonus miles on other groceries and things. My Dad has an air miles card in my name. He's grabbing me 4 Delisso pizzas at Foodland this afternoon on sale for $3 each. Buy 4 ($12) = 75 air miles. I purchase them occasionally when they go on sale so I don't feel I'm spending extra money just to get the air miles.

AMEX has had a slew of offers. For September spend $400 and get 800 air miles. Done within 1st week! Between needing 2 pairs of shoes for my son for the new school year; gas; groceries - just regular spending. Nothing extra. One of August's offer was spend up to $500 and get 500 air miles. My husband was purchasing just over $500 on vinyl siding as it was.

In August I earned 3,369 plus another 680 waiting to be credited.

You have me wondering just how much money I spent in that same month now. I know for each receipt it was quite reasonable. But now I think I'll revise my air miles tracking spreadsheet for October and also track the cash spent for the air miles.

Sobey's/Foodland little blue book coupons, in case anyone else hadn't figured this out as well:

I used the little blue book coupons today, 3 plus a 20am wus $60 one expecting 25 bonus miles for using 4. Well the fine print says only the "product coupons" count so I correctly received only 10 ams for using 3. Thought I'd mention it as this is the second time I've made this mistake. Lesson learned... I hope lol.

1)

I also never heard of offer #2. It was certainly not mentioned on this thread.

GRRRRR oh so frustrated this week! The DH lost his wallet yesterday... clearly it fell out of his jacket. So ALL the cards had to be called in and replaced.
Worst part was that we had JUST collected rent from the tenant and ARGH we were ON THE WAY to the bank!!! So say farewell to $400 in cash!

Any AM collecting has to wait until the next load-down shopping trip which won't be until the end of October...

I would insert all the angry Donald Duck having a Temper Tantrum moments right here, right now...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!