Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Thanks so much! Looks like all my closest options are included, now to figure out what to buy. I hate shopping when they are switching out the sale stickers...

If you click on the link for the coupon it shows all of the stores that accept it. OOPS that's not what you asked, give me. A bit to check

ETA: I'm not saying this will be easy but... open up the coupon so you can see the list of store numbers and then go to this page to see the stores in your area, if you click on the show more of each store you'll see the number.

https://www.rexall.ca/storelocator/...&location=Ottawa&longitude=-75.69719309999999

My closest one won't either, told me it's because of fraud somehow?

Just got in from visiting 2 of my local Shell gas stations.
They would not accept Visa or Mastercard for payment of any gift cards. They said the payment has to be cash or debit?
Anyone else have this happen?
I guess I will still get the airmiles BUT it was nice getting the westjet dollars also by using my mastercard.
Hugs Mel

I don’t ever get these coupons either but I am in ottawa so thanks for sharing. They aren’t targeted to the air miles card just the store so they will work if you share the email

I have to go to a conference down in Toronto in June and will be there parts of 3 days so I will continue my sweep of shell for Home Depot and Canadian tire for gas gift cards. With my card and wife I can do 2 x $500 x 3 days or $3000 and 3300 pts plus 300 on MasterCard. June is going to be better than May. I will spend this on home projects anyways so may as well get them

Try filling in one of the surveys that you get at the bottom of the receipt. It prompts you for your email at the end and this may start the emails coupons. I don't understand why some people get them and others don't (it's kind of like the infamous PIN code from Disney)

Not sure where you live, but the Shell near my house (Coxwell and O'Connor) in the east end of Toronto allow me to buy the gift cards on my visa. The attendants are all super nice!

Hi Hon
I am in Mississauga and so far Thomas Street Shell ,Winston Churchill Shell, and Unity Gate Shell are a no go.
I have many more I can try.
It's good to know there are a few out there though.
As for a *fraud* suggestion,,,,,, I personally think (JMHO,,,Just my honest opinion) this is a story they are using to get out of having to pay credit card charges.
I have bought over $1,800 in gift cards this past month at Shell,,, and all by using credit so I know it can be done.
Thomas Street Shell allowed over $700.00 this week and now they are saying no.

Interesting article here:
https://www.thestar.com/business/pe.../how_credit_card_fees_for_merchants_work.html

Thanks for posting a location where it can be done.

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Wow, this is ridiculous to only allow cash or debit just to buy a gift card. I don't carry around loads of cash, and I rarely, if ever use my debit card for security reasons. Much easier to dispute credit card charges. Seems like they are making it difficult for us GTA Shell customers to earn those air miles.

Just got in from visiting 2 of my local Shell gas stations.
They would not accept Visa or Mastercard for payment of any gift cards. They said the payment has to be cash or debit?
Anyone else have this happen?
I guess I will still get the airmiles BUT it was nice getting the westjet dollars also by using my mastercard.
Hugs Mel
This happened to me once last year at one particular Shell location. There was a limit of $50 on credit card for purchasing gift cards. I had to paid the rest with debit card.

This happened to me once last year at one particular Shell location. There was a limit of $50 on credit card for purchasing gift cards. I had to paid the rest with debit card.
I get AM on my debit card purchases so that would not be so bad for us. Having said that, I only get 1 for every $40 so its a big difference between that and 1 for every $10. Still, its something.

Ughhh I've been saving my airmiles along with a friend to get 3 day universal tickets for December. All April and march it took 3600 miles.. I just looked and they uped it to over 4000 miles. Ive had the 3600 myself for the last 1.5 weeks, while my friend is struggling, and will now struggle more
You guys think maybe they upped it when they announced the 2 free days when used by the end of September deal, and will put it back down after?

Still waiting on the mega miles bonus to show up

Nicynot I feel your pain. I was planning on getting 4 of those 3-park 3-days park-to-park tickets and upgrading them to 3-park Season Passes when we arrived. Unfortunately we're not close enough to our trip dates to order them since Universal decided to add a 9 month expiration date on them.

Air Miles did this last year as well. As soon as Universal offered the get 2 days free, Air Miles immediately upped the redemption miles. Unfortunately, last year when the Universal 2 days free offer ended on November 30th (with the tickets expiring in May 2018), Air Miles took the Universal tickets off their website. When they brought them back, the redemption went up. So... I would count on the Universal 3-day 3-park-to-park ticket being more.

In fact, I just checked out the redemption site... Be aware these tickets expire 9 months after purchase. Air Miles is now offering:
3-park 3-days park-to-park tickets for 4,050 miles (used to be 3,600). :( * this costs $339.99 online at Universal
2-park 2-days park-to-park tickets for 3,200 miles
2-park 1-day park-to-park tickets for 2,350 miles

As well as the Universal Studios free days promo of:
2-park 3-days (PLUS 2 free days) park-to-park tickets for 3,375 miles
3-park 3-days (PLUS 2 free days) park-to-park tickets for 4,050 miles * this costs $279.99

Don't you LOVE how Air Miles not only increased the amount of miles on the 3-park 3-days park-to-park ticket (with no extra days) :mad: AND left the same redemption for the ticket with the 2 free days, even though Universal is charging $60 less for the 5 day promo? (buy 3 get 2 days free) :furious:

Even in what I thought was going to be a dreadful week AM hunting somehow I managed to make a good week out of it.

Here's how it went (as a means to encourage others to not give up hope even when things seem hopeless)

Metro May 20 - 24 (small targeted offers)
Rexall May 23 - 122 (L&G, email coupon)
Metro May 23 - 20 (OJ)
Rexall May 24 - 212 (Ottawa offer, email coupon)
Metro May 24 - 71 (Quaker bars x3, targeted offer spend $25 get 25AM)

for a grand total of 449AM when at the beginning of the week I thought I would be lucky to hit 200AM.

I did really well today at Metro.

The Quaker Chewy bars are actually 15AM for ever 2, but 3 for $7.00 so for 6 packs for $14 you get 45AM!

Spent just over $60 and got almost 130 AM. 6 packs of Chewy bars, 4 packs of Quaker oatmeal, Johnsonville sausages (targeted offer), Becel (targeted offer), 2 packs of Mozzarella cheesestrings, and 2 organic yogurts. Plus ground chicken and ground turkey which are only $2.99 this week. Sobeys used to always be $3.99 for those but just bumped them up to $4.99 each recently. We love using those for tacos, meatballs, and burgers. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter