Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Did someone already ask this (if so, sorry)….for the Mastercard offer, can I buy a gift card at Staples and have that count or does it have to be a purchase that will actually earn miles?

Not sure if I read that question or had a dream about it. I've had some weird dreams lately, including ones about AM. Ya....I know there's a screw loose.

Did someone already ask this (if so, sorry)….for the Mastercard offer, can I buy a gift card at Staples and have that count or does it have to be a purchase that will actually earn miles?

Not sure if I read that question or had a dream about it. I've had some weird dreams lately, including ones about AM. Ya....I know there's a screw loose.

Hi Hon
I was going to try this but changed my mind and went to rexall for my last 20.00 shop.
Here are the listed terms and conditions--it doesn't say you can't BUT it doesn't say you can.

1. To qualify for this offer, you must make an eligible purchase of $20 or more at each of 3 different participating Partners using your BMO®† AIR MILES® Mastercard®* between September 1 and September 30, 2018, inclusive. Participating AIR MILES® Partners may be added or removed at any time without notice. Visit the “Participating Partners” section of this web page for current participating Partner details. Eligible purchases of $20 or more must be made in a single transaction. Purchase transactions do not include cash advances, cash-like transactions, interest charges, fees, credit or debit adjustments. This offer is valid only for the AIR MILES Collector Number associated with your BMO AIR MILES Mastercard account. A limit of one (1) 500 Bonus Miles offer applies per Collector Number. To qualify for this offer, your BMO AIR MILES Mastercard account must be in good standing at the time the Bonus Miles are awarded. Offer is subject to change without notice.
I did my initial shop to activate the card at Shell --got gas
Small spend $25.00 get 25 airmiles (target offer)-- at Metro--picked up fresh fruits and veggies
$30.00 spend at Rexall get 20 airmiles--picked up cheese,cookies,crackers and a bunch of toothbrushes /toothpaste--on sale 88 cents each(school christmas baskets).(I used my Rexall 10.00 Gift coupon).
Sobeys --ended up spending $22.00 ,picked up fresh buns,Natrel Milk, bananas on sale,peanut butter etc.
so all done.
I should get credited 1000 airmiles for getting the card and doing 3 sponsors.
I wouldn't mind keeping the card and using it but when I tried to link it to my other bank account my bank wouldn't allow it for direct online payment. So to keep it I would need to open a BMO account which I'm not sure I want another bank account.
Some people are saying buying a Gift Card at Shell works for this deal however I have no personal experience with this.
Good luck at Staples,,I hope it works for you.
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
I'm not positive about that, because I heard about using 95/getting 95 at Rona on the radio this morning. I'm in Cambridge, was listening to a TO station. Seems odd they would be promoting it in ON for a store that we can't use it at.

I heard it on the Radio this morning
680 News in Mississauga.
I am going to check at my Rona store tomorrow.
Hugs Mel

Hi Hon
I was going to try this but changed my mind and went to rexall for my last 20.00 shop.
Here are the listed terms and conditions--it doesn't say you can't BUT it doesn't say you can.

1. To qualify for this offer, you must make an eligible purchase of $20 or more at each of 3 different participating Partners using your BMO®† AIR MILES® Mastercard®* between September 1 and September 30, 2018, inclusive. Participating AIR MILES® Partners may be added or removed at any time without notice. Visit the “Participating Partners” section of this web page for current participating Partner details. Eligible purchases of $20 or more must be made in a single transaction. Purchase transactions do not include cash advances, cash-like transactions, interest charges, fees, credit or debit adjustments. This offer is valid only for the AIR MILES Collector Number associated with your BMO AIR MILES Mastercard account. A limit of one (1) 500 Bonus Miles offer applies per Collector Number. To qualify for this offer, your BMO AIR MILES Mastercard account must be in good standing at the time the Bonus Miles are awarded. Offer is subject to change without notice.
I did my initial shop to activate the card at Shell --got gas
Small spend $25.00 get 25 airmiles (target offer)-- at Metro--picked up fresh fruits and veggies
$30.00 spend at Rexall get 20 airmiles--picked up cheese,cookies,crackers and a bunch of toothbrushes /toothpaste--on sale 88 cents each(school christmas baskets).
Sobeys --ended up spending $22.00 ,picked up fresh buns,Natrel Milk, bananas on sale,peanut butter etc.
so all done.
I wouldn't mind keeping the card and using it but when I tried to link it to my other bank account my bank wouldn't allow it for direct online payment. So to keep it I would need to open a BMO account which I'm not sure I want another bank account.
Some people are saying buying a Gift Card at Shell works for this deal however I have no personal experience with this.
Hugs Mel

https://bmoairmilesmastercarduat.sk...r500-_-Facebook-Paid-_-_FBPost-_-See-Partners
Maybe I will do this weekends Rexall spend $30, then use the $10 card from last weekend. Will have to do some cupboard rummaging to see if there is anything we need or will need soon.

You should have no issue at all adding the MC as a bill payment on you current bank account. All my stuff is at TD but I have this BMO card and have been paying it from my TD account for years. I would go in to a branch and ask the teller to set it up as a bill payment in your portfolio. If for some reason they actually can’t, you can always just mail a check to pay BMO or just walk into a BMO branch and pay it at the teller.

I know that MC can't distinguish a gift card from any other purchase so if the AM bonus is truly from MC (which I believe it is) than yes, you could buy a gc and it would count. I know that I did this same thing when I got a similar offer from American Express. Bought gc's from Metro and Foodland for that one.
Now, don't know if I'm correct but I don't think I'm wrong.

Hi Hon
Hugs Mel

https://bmoairmilesmastercarduat.sk...r500-_-Facebook-Paid-_-_FBPost-_-See-Partners

Not sure if I have your issue correct but I pay my BMO airmiles credit card automatically each month from my TD account. I do not have a BMO account, just the credit card.

Not sure if I have your issue correct but I pay my BMO airmiles credit card automatically each month from my TD account. I do not have a BMO account, just the credit card.

Hi Hon
When I logged onto my RBC Bank account and tried to add the BMO MC it said NO cards starting with these four numbers XXXX can be added to payee account
and those are the four numbers my card starts with ..........so I could not add it as a payee.
I am going to go into BMO tomorrow and see if there are any options. I could also check via RBC for options.
Hugs Mel

I'm in the same boat (or is it bed?) AM filters into the depth of my brain at the oddest times!
Hi Hon
Here are the listed terms and conditions--it doesn't say you can't BUT it doesn't say you can.I did my initial shop to activate the card at Shell --got gas
$30.00 spend at Rexall get 20 airmiles--picked up cheese,cookies,crackers and a bunch of toothbrushes /toothpaste--on sale 88 cents each(school christmas baskets).
so all done.

Maybe I will do this weekends Rexall spend $30, then use the $10 card from last weekend. Will have to do some cupboard rummaging to see if there is anything we need or will need soon.
The threshold spend is good for the entire WEEK this time so if you're busy over the weekend don't fret!

I know that MC can't distinguish a gift card from any other purchase so if the AM bonus is truly from MC (which I believe it is) than yes, you could buy a gc and it would count. I know that I did this same thing when I got a similar offer from American Express. Bought gc's from Metro and Foodland for that one. Now, don't know if I'm correct but I don't think I'm wrong.

I've been pondering the whole gift card thing myself today and going in circles. Here's my thoughts on the subject -- feel free to dissect
  • Only 2 things are mentioned in the offer - $20 pre-tax purchase at 3 different sponsors
  • previous offer said specifically we needed to earn at least 1 mile with no mention of $ value (the weekend one use the card x time get x miles)
  • MC only classifies transaction based on store TYPE not what you actually buy at that store
SO -- in my mind if i wanted to i could buy $20 worth of ANYTHING at 3 of the sponsors and be done. HOWEVER -- the MC is our secondary card and i can't afford to spend $60 and find out later my assumptions were wrong. We've done 1 sale at Metro of $20.15 for flowers & ice cream so far. Filled up the rental car at Shell but it came to $19.50 so won't count. The plan is to go to Rexall before the gift card from last week expires for one sale. For the 3rd we'll wait to see what next week's offers are at Sobey's/Foodland and if nothing's good we'll buy a gift card at Shell because i KNOW they count on a regular basis.

I'm in the same boat (or is it bed?) AM filters into the depth of my brain at the oddest times!
If you find a 12 step program let me know.....I need it too. I find myself, far too often, saying 'there's an AM deal on.....' or 'I have to shop at (insert store name) because they have big AM today'.

Since Sobeys has maybe 40AM max for me this week I am planning to do my grocery shopping at Real Canadian Superstore tomorrow and do some price matching! I've screenshotted everything on my Phone and it's also saved in the Reebee app. Any other tips?

Since Sobeys has maybe 40AM max for me this week I am planning to do my grocery shopping at Real Canadian Superstore tomorrow and do some price matching! I've screenshotted everything on my Phone and it's also saved in the Reebee app. Any other tips?
They allow a max of 4 items per price match, it has to state a price per item (no 2/$6 type of thing), produce must match the brand or grown it, fresh meat you must have the meat dept staff make you a new label. They also have a specific list of stores that they will match with.... only the direct, local competitors.

They do not match PC Optimum offers from their other stores like Fortinos, No Frills etc.

Wow. Wayfair is so expensive. Was looking for a halloween-y welcome mat and the cheapest ones are around $40! I will definitely just go to Michaels with a 55% off coupon next time they have one. That'd be around $13!

Indigo is having one of their "top up your plum points weekend" - I got an email Thursday that they topped me up to $20 off next purchase over $20. Just bought a Disney adult colouring book (Disney Animals themed!) and the Coco little golden book. :) Cost me $2.10 after taxes!

Indigo is having one of their "top up your plum points weekend" - I got an email Thursday that they topped me up to $20 off next purchase over $20. Just bought a Disney adult colouring book (Disney Animals themed!) and the Coco little golden book. :) Cost me $2.10 after taxes!

I got an email from Indigo as well...sadly I had just redeemed Plum points, so my offer was only for $5 off but hey I only had something like 50 points left after my last redemption so it was pretty good...I ended up redeeming my $5 for a Rick Steves French saying translation book which will be perfect for my Disney cruise that leaves out of Quebec on September 27!!!!!

They allow a max of 4 items per price match, it has to state a price per item (no 2/$6 type of thing), produce must match the brand or grown it, fresh meat you must have the meat dept staff make you a new label. They also have a specific list of stores that they will match with.... only the direct, local competitors.

They do not match PC Optimum offers from their other stores like Fortinos, No Frills etc.
That might be store specific. Ours in Aurora match nofrills shoppers and fortinos..the ones they dont are Coppa and starkys...so just depends

That might be store specific. Ours in Aurora match nofrills shoppers and fortinos..the ones they dont are Coppa and starkys...so just depends
Each RCSS has a set list of stores that they will price match...it is their direct geographical competitors only.
They will usually price match any store under the Loblaw Corp umbrella, even if it's outside of the geographic boundary, but the store reserves the right not to do so. What they will not match are the PC Optimum point offers that the other stores have.

Over on the Rumors and News board, they were talking about the new pricing structure that might be rolling out as early as October. They also said they think the recent MDE problems are a result of back-end issues due to this new structuring thing.

I wonder how this new pricing structure will reflect the amount of air miles needed for the 5-day and 7-day tickets?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!