Airmiles Armchair Chatter

No pasta at Terry Fox or March Road. I complained about the lack of stock to the cashier at Terry Fox and she said "someone came in and bought all 20 packages at 7am". MY response "there should have been way more than 20 packages for this promo". She said the price and miles are extended through the weekend and more are coming, but I'd be shocked if the miles were actually extended, probably just the price. My planned shop was 830 miles for just over $100. I added some of the prime frozen chicken products and pogos for the kids to offset the lack of pasta, and ended up with 440 miles for just over $100. Still not terrible, but not what I was hoping for.

At Terry Fox it was me! I actually went to Stittsville first and they had 2 near their KD. I then went to Terry Fox for 8:20 (they open at 7) and I split what was on the shelf with another man I saw there - each got 4. But then I noticed a Barillo display in the back near bakery so he and I and another lady cleaned them out - I got 50. But the manager said the deal will extend until Jan 17th and the AM will be on them - I confirmed. So have no worries - sounds like lots of pasta. Barillo would be paying Sobeys for the promo points so surely they would provide stock

None left at 830am at my store, I think they had about 24 to start. Notice on door entering about price correction and deal is now until Jan 13 (not Jan 17 as someone else's store mentioned). So left with a couple of items, 10am and 3 rainchecks with airmiles listed good thirty days. I will try another store since I'll be near one to day but am expecting none.

At Terry Fox it was me! I actually went to Stittsville first and they had 2 near their KD. I then went to Terry Fox for 8:20 (they open at 7) and I split what was on the shelf with another man I saw there - each got 4. But then I noticed a Barillo display in the back near bakery so he and I and another lady cleaned them out - I got 50. But the manager said the deal will extend until Jan 17th and the AM will be on them - I confirmed. So have no worries - sounds like lots of pasta. Barillo would be paying Sobeys for the promo points so surely they would provide stock

Oh man, back where the soup and Italipasta was? I saw the sign there, but no pasta :( If I had gone there first, I would have had some, I hit Terry Fox around 8:30. I guess I will try to get back tomorrow and see if I can get some pasta and miles. I was so flustered this morning I forgot to use the $50 left on my Sobey's gift card too, so I'd happily snap up $50 in pasta tomorrow!

Oh man, back where the soup and Italipasta was? I saw the sign there, but no pasta :( If I had gone there first, I would have had some, I hit Terry Fox around 8:30. I guess I will try to get back tomorrow and see if I can get some pasta and miles. I was so flustered this morning I forgot to use the $50 left on my Sobey's gift card too, so I'd happily snap up $50 in pasta tomorrow!

Yes it was in the top of the display - very easy to miss! I used gift cards I bought as part of STB. My pasta will be going to foodbank through my son's school so win-win

So my store had the notice on the door - 2/$5. Went to the isle and there were 12 packages. Grabbed 6 and another AM shopper came down so I let her take the other 6. She was super kind and gave me $1 off coupons for each of my 6, so it ended up being 2/$3! Great deal! They said more are coming and they are honouring bonus AM until the 13th. Going to stop off at another Sobeys on the way to work to see if there are more there. Got 632 AM this am for $220 spent (this Blue Friday was paired with my normal grocery shopping for the week and was able to get chicken breasts on sale).

I was at my Sobeys at 7:05am. Went straight for the Barilla pasta. None on the shelf, someone had already cleaned them out. Another shopper asked the Grocery Manager and he had 6 cases (of 6) in the back. When he came back we split them up among 3 of us waiting. I don't know if they are getting more in. Paid 2/$5. All other items on the Blue Friday page were well stocked. I spent just over $100 on each card and got 531AM and 400AM. Spent 1 hour picking up the AM items and then a few other items I needed.

Then I went cross country to Foodland to pick up some ham. Spent $30 got 101AM. All in it was a good morning (1032AM), but I've got to say I couldn't shop like this each week. Way too tiring (I need a nap!:D)

I just looked at my Rexall L&G for next week. Spend $60 get 60AM (are they kidding!). I guess I will be going to out to Rexall today to do the spend $50 get 100AM.

If they don't have any tomorrow then I will be getting a rain check. I have gotten rain checks on items before and it includes the bonus air miles as well.
Thanks for the reminder. It seems like the purex detergent is always gone by the time I get there if it's on the Blue Friday special. I always seem to get the tunnel vision and I'm on a mission to get the most Am i can. I always seem to forget that I can get a rain check

Wow this pasta deal is going to be annoying. I actually want the pasta, not to donate but because kiddo will eat it and it seems a lot easier than boiling pot etc just for him. The airmiles on it are an actual bonus. I doubt I'll be back later this weekend for it. Hopefully the rest of the stuff will be in stock that I want to get. I also need some regular groceries and items that don't have airmiles. I'll find out in a couple hours I guess.

Got to say a big thank you to TFC_UNTIL_I_DIE , as I was the other guy at the Terry Fox store. He let me split with him what was left in the pasta aisle and showed me the other spot where they had more. As I went to the cash, I think the manager and the cashier were talking about putting a limit as that they were almost out of pasta. So maybe they might put a limit per customer...

I have been reading on this forum for a while now, especially on the Canadian/Airmiles but never posted. Just wanted to mention that the people here a great. Since September 2017, I accumulated a LOT of Airmiles thanks this group. Thank you everybody!!!

Lots of pasta in Northern Ontario! LoL. I only bought 8 packs cause I will only use them for quickies for the kids before work or hockey etc. So I spent 131 and got 586 am. I used my am cash for 120 though then took 120 out of my account for my travel fund!

I may go back and get a few more pastsa...was just thinking they'd be good for the first part of our trip in our studio when we only have a microwave for meals. Depending on expiry date I guess.

Got to say a big thank you to TFC_UNTIL_I_DIE , as I was the other guy at the Terry Fox store. He let me split with him what was left in the pasta aisle and showed me the other spot where they had more. As I went to the cash, I think the manager and the cashier were talking about putting a limit as that they were almost out of pasta. So maybe they might put a limit per customer...

I have been reading on this forum for a while now, especially on the Canadian/Airmiles but never posted. Just wanted to mention that the people here a great. Since September 2017, I accumulated a LOT of Airmiles thanks this group. Thank you everybody!!!

Can someone give me the quick summary of the big AirMiles point getters at Sobeys please? Closes one is in Ottawa and we don’t get their flyer. I will be in Barrhaven on Sunday and would like to stop and see what I can pick up.

Thanks
John

Welcome aboard Lejockey! It was cool to run into another AM hunter. When I went to the cash - there was a lady who intercepted me and did my order - I heard someone say 'the pasta guy is coming' so I was worried they were going to kill my shop but they were great

Can someone give me the quick summary of the big AirMiles point getters at Sobeys please? Closes one is in Ottawa and we don’t get their flyer. I will be in Barrhaven on Sunday and would like to stop and see what I can pick up.

Thanks
John
Hi John welcome to the group! Hate to be rude but I'm currently wandering around downtown Toronto and in case someone else doesn't answer you soon, I keep the links to all the flyers updated in the first post. Just hop back there and you'll be able to open it up, good luck and happy hunting!

Ok, I admit I'm tired but I don't get it. The pasta is 2 for $5, so spend $10, get 100 AM. Since it's 95 AM for $10, it doesn't really seem like a good deal to me...what am I missing?
earlier it was reported that the pasta would be $2/4 and not 2/$5 so the math now doesn't work as much in favor of the AM collector as it did with the printing error!

Soooooo exciting to see y'all working together with short-stocked stores! :D

So I went to the Sobeys in North Ajax and just as I got there I saw a lady checking out with all the barillo pasta I had seen yesterday. I was thinking I should have walked over earlier but I was waiting for it to get a little warmer. I got my bagels I wanted and went to customer service to check out and get a rain check. They had ordered a couple of cases of the pasta but it never got delivered. I got a rain check for 10 packages and my rain check says $2.00 each not the 2 for $5 so when I finally get my pasta it will be a good deal.

earlier it was reported that the pasta would be $2/4 and not 2/$5 so the math now doesn't work as much in favor of the AM collector as it did with the printing error!

Soooooo exciting to see y'all working together with short-stocked stores! :D
Honestly even with the corrected price it still worked out to “free” when you factor in the miles so I can’t see how it’s not a good deal.
Guess what I had for lunch? :thumbsup2

Ok, I admit I'm tired but I don't get it. The pasta is 2 for $5, so spend $10, get 100 AM. Since it's 95 AM for $10, it doesn't really seem like a good deal to me...what am I missing?

Its like getting the pasta for free so if its a product you use than its a real bonus. If its not something you would use or don't want to donate then its not such a good deal.

Originally when it was $2 each it was spend $8 in pasta get 100 miles. Great deal! For those collecting cash miles, it's break even now. For those collecting dream miles for park tickets or other items, it's above break-even. For example, it costs $80 US / $108 CAN for a Blue Man Group ticket through Universal. Or I can get one for 750 Air Miles. If I purchased 32 packages of pasta I would spend $80 CAD and get 800 air miles. Cash 750 of those miles in for 1 Blue Man Group ticket. Spent $80 CAD instead of $108 CAD and donate most of the pasta. Saves me $28. If I still needed more miles for my tickets, I would totally do this. Back when we thought it was $8 for 100 miles, I would have saved $48.

The assistant grocery manager from our local Sobeys called me last night and said they got their Barilla order in, and all they got was 3 cases = 18 packages!! She said she placed my order again and now it looks like they will have the stock on Sunday. I asked her if the air miles for Blue Friday would be honoured with the ‘rain check’ and she confirmed that I would get the air miles as well as the 2/$5 price. I’ll update on Sunday.

That's great to hear of all these stores that are going to extend the pasta and Air Miles.

My husband went in with my list this morning . I work from home and can’t leave until 5 so he goes on his way to work. He grabbed a flyer on his way in and thought it was an error when the Barilla rang up at 2 for $5. So he showed the cashier the flyer and she adjusted it. There was no sign up anywhere so neither of them knew there had been a correction. Our store had 18, so we bought them all as we will absolutely use them. None of my “My Offers” miles posted. I’ll let it go because of the error in our favour but I need to call at some point because now that I think of it, I haven’t been getting them for a long time now.

Grand total was $105.94 and we received 756 airmiles.

Wow! Nice collecting!

So my pasta shop was a bit interesting....went to Sobeys first (10am), 1 left. I don't usually shop at Sobeys but I had a My Offers bonus so thought I'd try it out. When they didn't have the pasta, I left lol. Went to Safeway across the street. No pasta. But then I looked a little closer...and saw a few packages shoved back on a lower shelf. Grabbed those 2. Kept my eyes open while walking down the aisle and found 4 more shoved in with tea haha. I only took 2 of them. Grabbed a few other things that were on my grocery list and on sale. Grand total of 101 airmiles for $38. I wanted to do the laundry detergent deal but we already have 2 extra bottles of laundry detergent. So I kept it cheap and got a few miles!

Thanks
John

The really good deals are on the Blue Friday items. I'm just reviewing the flyer I brought home from Sobeys Barrhaven (there are 3 different flyers in this city). The online flyer is accurate for the Sobeys store (link on first page). I don't know if I would consider any of the regular AM offerings for the week as a "good" deal. If you happen to need some of the items anyway then why not earn some AM as well.

If you are going to be in Barrhaven, I would stop in at Rexall just down the road from Sobeys and take advantage of their spend $50 get 100AM this weekend. There are quite a few good deals in their flyer. Also check out the back page of the Metro flyer and see if you need anything offered there. Metro is about 5 min away from Sobeys.

Sorry I don't have more exciting news. Other than Blue Friday and Rexall its a AM drought out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!