Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I really hate writing this but I think getting WDW tickets with AM will be a thing of the past after the current promotion. :(

Ya, I didn't want to say that either lol. I agree that's likely, I don't think their business models are matching too well, Airmiles would prefer to stock one or two types that cover everyone, Disney prefers to lock you into the day you want to go and charge accordingly.

Not too many years ago, Disney airmiles tickets were an excellent deal, I remember the return being around 15 cents on an airmile. When Airmiles introduced cash miles, I thought why would anyone ever use cash miles, such a low return (sidenote: I have also been leary of why 95 airmiles = $10 cash, I can quickly see that becoming 100 airmiles = $10 cash). Well as we know the last couple of years they have been set on par with cash miles. So now it's really only a savings vehicle rather than a good deal.

I would switch to 100% cash if I could dedicate myself to cashing in points and buying gift cards each week with the savings. At this point I see it as another thing to keep track of, however if they don't offer them any longer, I'll be joining the group that has switched to cash.

I was just thinking about Mega Miles........
I have just a few cash airmiles in my account. With airmiles being so ...hmmmm looking for a word here.....sparse,,,measly ?
*thinly dispersed or scattered*,,, *contemptibly small or few*.
I think I am going to change up my Dream setting to cash for a week or so,,,I need to stockpile for the Mega Miles promo.
Mega Miles is usually around March 8th right?

Hugs
Mel

I have just a few cash airmiles in my account. With airmiles being so ...hmmmm looking for a word here.....sparse,,,measly ?
I think I am going to change up my Dream setting to cash for a week or so,,,I need to stockpile for the Mega Miles promo.

Hugs
Mel
Good idea! I have a few Cash miles, but if we need 2 or 3 sales, I'm s-o-l. To be honest, I'm thinking that cash is a good thing for me at this point, anyway.

Did anyone else get the invite from American Express to register to purchase $550 from Feb 15-28 for 250 bonus AM? We received it on both of our cards.

As for Mega Miles - Crap - we're away for 2 weeks during that time frame. Hopefully I'll still be able to get it all!

I really can't comprehend what Airmiles will do in order to continue offering Disney tickets, problem is Disney tickets are now all date based. If you go to AAA and Undercovertourist websites, no matter what ticket you buy, you have to pick your start date (even with the flexible date tickets) and you pay in dollars. Not sure how Airmiles will implement this in airmiles.

So my original thinking, was that Airmiles might offer flexible date tickets (no idea how) and/or special discount tickets (looking at what Disney currently has available I thought the 4-park Magic Summer Ticket valid Jan 18 – Sep 30 2019 would possibly be an option)

I really hate writing this but I think getting WDW tickets with AM will be a thing of the past after the current promotion. :(

Sadly I was thinking the same thing. I can’t see how they would be able to keep up with the changes.

I was thinking the same thing.

Along side of the 4-park Summer Magic Ticket that @Days In the Sun mentions, the only thing I can think of that might help would be if Canadian Discounts tickets continue to be a thing, which I highly doubt with all the new Star Wars stuff happening.

Wow it gets pretty pricey after all that doesn’t it ?
If it ends up being the scenario you described I would likely collect all my miles as cash, use them for gas and groceries and use the cash saved from that for trip expenses. Converting my rewards in any program to cash offers me the best flexibility for getting the best prices and discounts on flights, tickets and hotels.
For example I did a comparison of what it costs in airmiles to fly Toronto to Orlando vs. what I would pay in cash ( with today’s exchange rate ) for flying out of Buffalo, and it saves me hundreds to fly out of Buffalo. I realize that’s only good if one can take advantage of Buffalo flights , but in general it doesn’t seem to make me any better off to use the Dream rewards.
I'm with you pigletto. Seems like that's the easiest route to go then travel plans can be more flexible. We prefer to fly out of the US as well with Southwest. Plus I'd rather have the flexibility of booking wherever I can get a good deal (rent DVC points or an offsite timeshare) or have the ability to cancel a hotel booking if I see a better deal come up, or book FD if that's the better deal, etc.

Did anyone else get the invite from American Express to register to purchase $550 from Feb 15-28 for 250 bonus AM? We received it on both of our cards.

As for Mega Miles - Crap - we're away for 2 weeks during that time frame. Hopefully I'll still be able to get it all!

My Amex offer is spend $300 for 150 AM, and a $5 statement credit. Too easy for us. I like your offer better though!

Hopefully Mega Miles extends past our March break since we will be away too...

My Amex offer is spend $300 for 150 AM, and a $5 statement credit. Too easy for us. I like your offer better though!

Hopefully Mega Miles extends past our March break since we will be away too...

I got the sane offer than you. Already 2/3 done after placing an order at Gap.

Mine was spend $300 in that period get 150 AM. Not sure I will make that though.

Hugs
Mel

March 8 is correct for 2018, it was the Thursday before March break. The year before was May 1, 2017, I'm expecting Thursday March 7.

I just got back from a quick stop at Shoppers. I'm really thinking AM may take a back seat to this at least as far as Rexall VS Shoppers goes.
Today was 20 times the points on a $50 spend. They had a lot of good Saturday only sales so it was not to hard to hit the $50 mark but most of my purchases would be considered on the grocery side. They have a good grocery section compared to my Rexall which has one row of mixed grocery's and a bit of dairy but not much. I spent $53.50 before tax. That amount would normally get me 795 points or a value of .79 cents. With the 20 times I should have received 15900 points or a value of $15.90. Then there were points I received for purchasing items from My Offers. That gained me another 1200 or $1.20. I should have also received another 2000 or $2.00 from a coke purchase I made, had to send off a missing points request, much like the request for missing AM's. I hope they are quicker than AM though. AM really needs to get their act together on that side of business, am I right??
Long story short, I earned 17100 points today or a total of $17.10 with another 2000 or $2.00 coming. That's a lot more than I would have earned in AM's at Rexall most weeks. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I got an email from the PC Mastercard saying if I made a $50 purchase before the 20th they would give me 15000 points or $15.00. Add that to the $17.10 and I made $32.10 on a $50 spend. Not bad at all.

Here's a pleasant surprise. I posted on here 32 minutes ago that I was shorted 2000 PC points. Just before I posted this I sent in the request for the missing points so that was 40 minutes ago tops.
I just received an email stating the points have been added to my account, sorry for the inconvenience. WOW! How long would it take to get a missing 5 AM's? Often weeks!
Good job PC!!

not quoting everyone because it’s saturday morning and i’m lazy! haha.

i think people are right about disney tickets—unless disney goes to some kind of digital system (which would probably be too advanced for air miles!!), it’s going to be really hard to fit disney’s new system. i looked through my email—the best i’ve ever done was adult 7 day base tickets for 3250 miles apiece. that was 2 years ago, and was both a better air miles deal and because disney was running a canadian promotion. i have one set left, but i think it’s the last set of air miles tickets i’ll use.

right now i’m still set to 100% dream miles. i think i’ll use them for a vacation. but i see the appeal of cash! they could be used like people use PC Optimum points—redeem 100$ at the grocery store and buy a gift card or put the equivalent cash away for vacation. i’m going to give it some thought before mega miles because i’m not sure what’s best for my family!

as for PC Optimum...let’s just say 20x the points on half-price valentines candy makes everything extra sweet! 40$ spend earned me 12,000 odd points.

Sometimes my own issue with using Cash miles and converting to savings is, well, I spend the money! LOL

At least with gift cards I know I can only use them at Disney. We really only need to go once more to see all of the new rides/lands coming. Then we'll be good for a while. Same with Universal. Go see the new Potter and Jurassic Park coasters, Volcano Bay and then wait until the new park opens in a few years.

The good thing about Dream miles is the use for All Inclusives or cruises (soon!), and of course flights.

I would be sad if all the AM I earned were to not be used towards Disney tickets, but I think it might still be a Thing for them to offer vacation package deals through RedTag. I understand why they might decide to make that change... although it would drive a TON of us AirMiles loyal customers off at that point.

Husband agrees with the other saving strategies - the $$$ saved gets physically re-allocated somewhere like Disney GC and/or USD makes WAY more sense than AM as a savings tool, but right now, our budget needs all the wiggle room it can get. So $20 wishing on a dream may come true, even if it takes years to get there.

I just can't imagine air miles wouldn't try to find a resolution to the new system. I would think when they tally up all of the WDW purchases every year, they might see it as a huge loss if they didn't keep them going somehow. With the exchange tanking and costs rising, if I can save a couple thousand dollars on park passes each time I go (WDW, UOR, etc), then it's still a win for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter