Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I'm also too lazy to quote everyone but have a few things to share with the group on this gloriously sunny Saturday (at least in SW Ontario it is!!)

Mega Miles historical data:

• May 1st - 31st 2017 use 5 coupons get 1250 miles
  • March 8th - April 12th 2018 use 3 coupons get 650 miles or 5 to get 1250 miles
Airmiles and Disney tickets:
We're in a bit of an echo chamber here gang, this is a Disney forum and most of us have redeemed our miles for multiple Disney & Universal tickets. Until I started this thread i had NEVER redeemed for tickets of any kind (i know, gasp, but it's true :P ) I've only ever redeemed for one set for Disney & one for Universal. Whenever i mention to people that they are something you can redeem miles for it seems to be brand new information to them. We don't go very often (again, gasp!) and most visits have been done with a package or we bought the tickets thru CAA. I agree with all of you that the new ticketing system won't be something that AM will want to (or even be able to) tackle, do you remember how long they still had the non-expiring CDN tickets available AFTER Disney stopped selling them? They weren't able to get rid of the stock before the "sale" was over, I have no idea what they'll do this time since they now expire. Do i think this is the end of Disney tickets? Not sure, not much of a gambler, but by looking at the math some of you put out there, i'm leaning towards a strong "possibly"

Most people use their Airmiles for travel related rewards, flights, hotels & car rentals. There's also a LARGE group of people who collect them and never really comprehend how to actually USE THEM (our D-I-L's mother has close to 100,000 sitting in her account, yes, you read that number correctly :eek:)

And those are the thoughts of The Duck

I for one am now glad I have a number of non expiring 5 day passes. I also have 2 child 5 day non expire passes that I will either sell, give to friends or see what $ Disney will give me to convert at the time to adult passes.
I see this as a problem for CAA as well. They sell a lot of passes, and now people will have to have exact dates.
I am a little worried, not really, that there might be snags with my non expiring tickets and how they will honor them. But there are still people out there with E tickets and paper 1 day tickets and multi day non expiring tickets. They just have to see an experienced ticket person.

I'm also too lazy to quote everyone but have a few things to share with the group on this gloriously sunny Saturday (at least in SW Ontario it is!!)

• March 8th - April 12th 2018 use 3 coupons get 650 miles or 5 to get 1250 miles

Thanks for this info!...and WOW about your D.I.L.s mothers Air Miles balance!

For those who have recently purchased WDW tickets with miles, how does the expiry date work? It is one year from the date of purchase? Or is it for all of 2019? If we aren't going again until either February or May 2021, will we have to wait until January 2021 to buy our passes to ensure they aren't expired?

Airmiles and Disney tickets:
We're in a bit of an echo chamber here gang, this is a Disney forum and most of us have redeemed our miles for multiple Disney & Universal tickets. Until I started this thread i had NEVER redeemed for tickets of any kind (i know, gasp, but it's true :P ) I've only ever redeemed for one set for Disney & one for Universal. Whenever i mention to people that they are something you can redeem miles for it seems to be brand new information to them. We don't go very often (again, gasp!) and most visits have been done with a package or we bought the tickets thru CAA. I agree with all of you that the new ticketing system won't be something that AM will want to (or even be able to) tackle, do you remember how long they still had the non-expiring CDN tickets available AFTER Disney stopped selling them? They weren't able to get rid of the stock before the "sale" was over, I have no idea what they'll do this time since they now expire. Do i think this is the end of Disney tickets? Not sure, not much of a gambler, but by looking at the math some of you put out there, i'm leaning towards a strong "possibly"

Most people use their Airmiles for travel related rewards, flights, hotels & car rentals. There's also a LARGE group of people who collect them and never really comprehend how to actually USE THEM (our D-I-L's mother has close to 100,000 sitting in her account, yes, you read that number correctly :eek:)

And those are the thoughts of The Duck

100,000...can you imagine the vacation!?

Only 2336, which includes the StB bonus. Not a great start! Hopefully I can maintain and get Onyx again this year. I have some time I guess :) I haven't even been getting gas at Shell lately. I do hope they have the ice cream deal in the summer again, bonus airmiles on ice cream... I'll walk up to the store for that :)

If I get 250 more AM I can book one way flights home, it would be 4200 AM for the two of us plus $145 in taxes, cash for the flights is $870. So I have my goal for the next couple weeks. Easy enough to do if Rexall has a good deal! Then I start saving for March break pre cruise hotel, and maybe a flight at that time of year.

I disagree on AM having park tickets. There is a no start date option for all tickets....it's an add on just like park hopper. I think we will see the same as it has been for the last couple of years. Just a 5 or 7 day option but with the no start date add on. So the number of miles is going to be pretty high, probably over 6000 for a 5 day.

I disagree on AM having park tickets. There is a no start date option for all tickets....it's an add on just like park hopper. I think we will see the same as it has been for the last couple of years. Just a 5 or 7 day option but with the no start date add on. So the number of miles is going to be pretty high, probably over 6000 for a 5 day.

Hi Hon
So do you think they will no longer have an expiry date on the tickets ?
Like if I get the 5 day Adult ticket right now is 4500 airmiles
From the airmiles site:
The Magic Your Way Base Ticket provides admission to any one of the four Walt Disney World Theme Parks for each day of your ticket.
Tickets and options must be used within 14 days of first use or by September 27, 2019, whichever comes first. Blackout dates of December 24, 2018 through January 1, 2019 apply.
So I only have 6-7 months to use this ticket right?

Hugs
Mel

What Airmiles rewards would you like to see? Just incase Airmiles is listening...................

For me: since Disney Parks tickets are now expiring and date specific I no longer save my miles for them.

I would LOVE the option to exchange Cash Airmiles for Disney Gift Cards.
Hugs
Mel

Oh My Goodness!!!!

Fabulous idea and I totally second it!

That is the kind of reward that would make me extremely loyal to Air Miles. I bounce between AM and PC Optimum but I know I would just do Air Miles if I could redeem for Disney GCs.

Just got off the phone with DFiL. He only got 300AM and said he did 7 offers. We went through his list. He has proof in his account for 5 (I don't know why they didn't give him 1000 at least). He couldn't remember what else he did. I went through the list of possibilities I had. We finally decided that he probably did Rexall spend $40 get 20AM (but he's not sure where the receipt is so he can't prove he used the coupon). The other one he now remembers doing is BMO. I asked if he opted in. He thought so but who knows.

I tried my best to get them to do an extra one or two just in case and they didn't want to be bothered. Now they are bothered that they didn't get the full bonus. It's so frustrating dealing with older loved ones. You try to steer them in the right direction but they insist they know what they are doing (and then they don't!)

You can only lead a horse to water, you can't make him drink.

I agree they could continue. Disney's website makes you pick a date in order to buy tickets, but it seems to ignore the date if you add the "flex date option" making the tickets expire the end of the year. Bad system design really lol.

I called Disney today about the flex date option on tickets and the answer I received was that it's only real value is that you still get to keep the 14 day window to use your ticket. They said they could be upgraded or changed to other tickets at guest services. I thought this was good news, as a very expensive flex date ticket could be exchanged to a regular ticket with hopper which would be about the same price.

Not sure if I called again I'd get a different answer but at the moment, I'm hopeful that the tickets will continue.

For those who have recently purchased WDW tickets with miles, how does the expiry date work? It is one year from the date of purchase? Or is it for all of 2019? If we aren't going again until either February or May 2021, will we have to wait until January 2021 to buy our passes to ensure they aren't expired?

The current airmiles tickets are the Canadian tickets that expire September 27 2019. They have been available on airmiles since October 29,2018 however the Disney promo started August 29, 2018 and runs until March 15, 2019. Airmiles will likely carry them until they run out.

Prior to this was the full price tickets that airmiles started selling June 13, 2018 and they expired December 31, 2018. I was waiting for December 31, 2019 expiry ones and they never came available through airmiles, only directly from Disney.

Disney changed their ticketing in October to date based pricing where you either have to pick your days when you purchase or buy a ticket with a flex date option at a premium which is good for the calendar year. If Airmiles decides to continue carrying Disney tickets after the current ones expire, it would likely be only the ones with the flex date option expiring at the end of the year. Usually airmiles carries new tickets when the old ones expire (which would mean in your case January 2021 or later if they are waiting for stock) or when the previous stock runs out and they aren't replacing them (so perhaps November/December 2020). The premium on purchasing the flex date option is high so I suspect the airmiles cost will be as well, example a 5 day ticket in low season currently costs $419usd, adding the flex date option costs an additional $70usd.

Another option that might be available are special tickets, again likely not available until late 2020 for your timeframe.

At this point, everything is hypothetical.

Did anyone else get the invite from American Express to register to purchase $550 from Feb 15-28 for 250 bonus AM? We received it on both of our cards.

As for Mega Miles - Crap - we're away for 2 weeks during that time frame. Hopefully I'll still be able to get it all!

I too received the AMEX offer...it is too easy for me...we have a WDW trip in March with a room only reservation...I was watching the exchange rate to make my payment but with this promo, I will just make a $550 payment towards our room.

Did anyone else get the invite from American Express to register to purchase $550 from Feb 15-28 for 250 bonus AM? We received it on both of our cards.

As for Mega Miles - Crap - we're away for 2 weeks during that time frame. Hopefully I'll still be able to get it all!
How do these offers arrive? Via email? I am correct in thinking it is random selection.

True, there could be a way. But there’s no chance I would overpay for them just to use miles. So it there’s a good chance I won’t get them either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!