Airmiles Armchair Chatter

My husband cashed in 95 airmiles at Rona in GTA yesterday and didn't receive the 95 airmiles back. Perhaps they come later but it's not looking likely.

I was so excited to see that Thrifty Foods had a gift card deal for their Smile cards, buy $200, get 200AM. I was fully prepared to drop $1000 on 5 cards but as expected it was a "once per card account" deal. :(

If Thrifty Foods is owned by Sobeys, why can't we get the multi card deals??? :sad:

I was so excited to see that Thrifty Foods had a gift card deal for their Smile cards, buy $200, get 200AM. I was fully prepared to drop $1000 on 5 cards but as expected it was a "once per card account" deal. :(

If Thrifty Foods is owned by Sobeys, why can't we get the multi card deals??? :sad:

Sobeys tries to run Thrifty Foods as a separate business as much as possible since they (at point had) a 50% market share on island and the brand was extremely strong. That's why the Alex Campbell signature series products continued. I worked on the due diligence of the purchase (years ago now). Club TF was always run more locally than other Club Sobeys regions (using same systems infrastructure)

Sobeys tries to run Thrifty Foods as a separate business as much as possible since they (at point had) a 50% market share on island and the brand was extremely strong. That's why the Alex Campbell signature series products continued. I worked on the due diligence of the purchase (years ago now). Club TF was always run more locally than other Club Sobeys regions (using same systems infrastructure)

but but but...I want good AM offers! :sad: Especially since we have lost Safeway here in Victoria, our "best" way to get AM is Rexall and there is only so much shampoo I can stockpile!

:rotfl:

I hear you. I am in Ottawa so in theory I can play both sides of the river for offers (IGA and Sobeys), plus metro (never any good) and also Rexall and jean Coutu (there are a few in Ottawa)

Reminder, if you have the Rexall $10 gc given out last weekend, they expire on Thursday (Sept 20). I missed out on my last one so I suppose this is a "note to self".
THANKS! I was planning on waiting till the next flyer came out and i could check to see which week would be better for shopping. Now i KNOW I'll be going before Friday. We always need vitamins, pain killers & bandaids!

Mini Vent
My major credit card compromised,,fraud-and police notified.
This has really freaked me out. The thing is I only used the card at local well known to me places.
My head is spinning as to how this could have happened. Thank-god I check my bank account frequently.
wow just wow.I feel like cancelling everything I have with banks.
Can this happen to other cards I have,,I mean nothing like this has ever happened to me,,I;m kind of lost here.
Mel

Last edited:
don't stress - remember its really the vendors that have to stress. I've had my corporate credit cards compromise so many times over the years - always cabs and hotels but companies still insist on using them there. I had my whole team (22 people) with compromised cards at a major hotel in Niagara Falls once. So it happens. its not your fault, likely not the bank's fault. Probably you used it somewhere they had a skinner device which they rang it through. Whenever a store uses your credit card they need to have their device above the table in eyesight. When the card goes down, fraud is up! I have been an auditor for 20 years and credit card frauds are very frequent.

Last edited:
Mini Vent
This has really freaked me out. The thing is I only used the card at local well known to me places.
My head is spinning as to how this could have happened. Thank-god I check my bank account frequently.
Can this happen to other cards I have,,I mean nothing like this has ever happened to me,,I;m kind of lost here.
Mel
First of all, take a deep breath and release.
Now, I'm retired now however in my past life I dealt with this situation on a weekly basis, often more. Don't try and rack your brain trying to figure out where or when this happened. There is a 99% chance your card was compromised at least 6 months ago, maybe even longer. It takes the 'bad guys' a while to collect a lot of cards, they don't just do one person. Could have happened at one of the well know places you mentioned by a staff member that has since moved on. Doesn't mean the store is involved. Also, it could have been a person just passing you who had a scanner which came close to where you keep your card. Could also have been from a store online you may have ordered from which has had their data hacked. What I can tell you for sure is that the chance of you finding out where this happened has less than a 1% chance so don't worry your head. Banks are prepared for this sort of thing. I know it feels like you have been violated but you will never lose money because of fraud.
I'd be interested to know where your card was used, if you feel like you can share this. Please, no one take offense, however a whole lot of fraud takes place in/from Quebec. It seems to be the card fraud capital of Canada.

don't stress - remember its really the vendors that have to stress. I've had my corporate credit cards compromise so many times over the years - always cabs and hotels but companies still insist on using them there. I had my whole team (22 people) with compromised cards at a major hotel in Niagara Falls once. So it happens. its not your fault, likely not the bank's fault. Probably you used it somewhere they had a skinner device which the range it through. Whenever a store uses your credit card they need to have their device above the table in eyesight. When the card downs down, fraud is up! I have been an auditor for 20 years and credit card frauds are very frequent.

Now, I'm retired now however in my past life I dealt with this situation on a weekly basis, often more. Don't try and rack your brain trying to figure out where or when this happened. There is a 99% chance your card was compromised at least 6 months ago, maybe even longer. It takes the 'bad guys' a while to collect a lot of cards, they don't just do one person. Could have happened at one of the well know places you mentioned by a staff member that has since moved on. Doesn't mean the store is involved. Also, it could have been a person just passing you who had a scanner which came close to where you keep your card. Could also have been from a store online you may have ordered from which has had their data hacked. What I can tell you for sure is that the chance of you finding out where this happened has less than a 1% chance so don't worry your head. Banks are prepared for this sort of thing. I know it feels like you have been violated but you will never lose money because of fraud.
I'd be interested to know where your card was used, if you feel like you can share this. Please, no one take offense, however a whole lot of fraud takes place in/from Quebec. It seems to be the card fraud capital of Canada.

Thank-you guys for replying, this has never happened to me and yes I was trying so hard to figure out how and where it happened.
I kind of felt like if they were able to do this then what else do they know and are they going to do. Deep Breath here--ok it will be alright.
Thanks for caring
BIG Hugs Mel

I'm in Mississauga
two charges
first charge for $1.00
second charge for $918.79
I can't recall the name of company BUT I think it has something to do with online trading.
Company in Edmonton.(My card has been cancelled and online banking info disabled).

Last edited:
So sorry this is happening to you. Did you notice the unusual activity or did the bank notify you. I check my bank account and credit card weekly. Just paranoid about this happening.

Good opportunity to remind everyone to check their accounts regularly for unusual activity.

So sorry this is happening to you. Did you notice the unusual activity or did the bank notify you. I check my bank account and credit card weekly. Just paranoid about this happening.

Good opportunity to remind everyone to check their accounts regularly for unusual activity.

Hi Hon
I use the card daily to build those Westjet dollars,,so I check every other day and pay the balance off.
The charges went on on Sat 15th. I noticed the two unauthorized charges and called them.
I am wondering if my Disney ADR's secured and booked with this card are still going to be ok?
Yep a good reminder to check accounts frequently.

Hugs Mel

I had it happen to me, but the bank called me because someone tried to use and it was pretty much maxed out so they couldn't. I had no idea. The bank was really good about it, they called and confirmed I was me :) then sent me a new card. I was pretty upset trying to figure out where it happened but they basically said it could be anywhere. I also had it happen to me with my debit card twice, it was compromised and cancelled by the bank. Rather embarrassing when they don't notify you and you try to use it and it's declined repeatedly. At least you noticed quickly, it will be resolved quickly. Your ADR's etc should be fine, I have used a card that expired before the trip, I guess if I had not shown up there might have been a problem then!

I can't tell if it's better to use the tap or the chip with my cards. And online I try to use paypal when possible. Not sure it makes a difference!

Its very common to get a small 'feeler' charge first, followed by bigger ones. My corp card stolen in Niagara was used to buy a few dollars of dog food in Manhattan, then on to Dominican Republic where it was completely maxed out at a nightclub. In fact my whole team had their stolen cards tried out in the Us, then they quickly moved to the Caribbean (various places), Serbia and India. BTW the former Yugoslav countries seem to be the nexus of stolen credit card schemes. The Kodi boxes premium services were getting washed through these countries too with lots of fraud.

Sorry your card was compromised. I have never had my accounts compromised but I have had a call from my Credit Union that a bank machine that I used my card at had been reported as being compromised so they cancelled my card and sent me a new one. That has happened twice and both times it was a CIBC bank machine in different locations because I knew exactly where the card had been used. I knew I had used my CIBC card at the same machine so I went to the CIBC and asked them for a new card and they asked why and they gave me a new card as well. I guess I was lucky that my Credit Union is small so they can personally contact their clients and fix any issues in advance.
On another note this was the sky tonight. Wasn't it beautiful?
P9173342 sunset.jpg

Hi Hon
I use the card daily to build those Westjet dollars,,so I check every other day and pay the balance off.
The charges went on on Sat 15th. I noticed the two unauthorized charges and called them.
I am wondering if my Disney ADR's secured and booked with this card are still going to be ok?
Yep a good reminder to check accounts frequently.

Hugs Mel

Is there any way to contact Disney and have them change the CC#? That way you know you can travel worry free.

Mini Vent
Mel

I've had this happen a couple of times to me. I always feel relieved because the banks have been so professional and easy to deal with. It isn't something that you can actually figure out, so rest assured that all is good.

Mine came through from Quebec one time....and at that time, I'd never been near Quebec. I do hear, though, that a lot of the fraudulent behaviour surfaces there. I wonder why?

Thank-you guys for replying, this has never happened to me and yes I was trying so hard to figure out how and where it happened.
I kind of felt like if they were able to do this then what else do they know and are they going to do. Deep Breath here--ok it will be alright.
Thanks for caring
BIG Hugs Mel

I'm in Mississauga
two charges
first charge for $1.00
second charge for $918.79
I can't recall the name of company BUT I think it has something to do with online trading.
Company in Edmonton.(My card has been cancelled and online banking info disabled).
Yeah, those tiny test charges are a clear example of something fishy going on. Note, though, I had a legitimate one-Priceline, maybe?- that did that same thing.

I'm another of the check my bank accounts every couple of days, gal. I have a daughter who has one of my credit cards, and she never tells me when she charges something, so I have to update my Quicken. Nothing gets by me.

I’ve heard about the QC connection too but I lived in QC all my life and never had any issue with any of my cards. And the card scanning has to be done locally whether the ring leaders are here or not... DH had his debit card canceled by the banks 2-3 time one year so I guess he was going to a store I wasn’t that had a fraudulent card scanner. Since then no problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter