Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

We actually flew into SNA and fly back to the East Coast from ONT(Ontario). For some reason it was ~$550 cheaper for my family out of ONT and the schedule was much, much better too. I am not sure how airlines were doing their pricing but I shopped around alot and ended up with 2 one-way tickets there were very affordable.

After arriving in LAX 1x from the East Coast I will never do that again. I am use to city traffic but this was another beast altogether.

I usually do LAX. Flight tends to be cheaper, rental cars tend to be cheaper, flight is faster. All good things for me

SNA and a taxi. It's the absolute fastest!

Generally takes me an hour from LAX. Took me over an hour once to get to SNA in a taxi. It was rotten.

And I don’t like SNA

Can't label either group by the actions of one individual.

People label it positively, so negatively is fine, too.

Our one taxi ride in the area was stressful and irritating. Our rideshares in the area were good. Using super shuttle was not great. Using Karmel Shuttle overall
has been good. Using that cheap shuttle at SNA was bad bad bad bad. 90mph (then-husband was sitting in the passenger seat and could see the speedometer) on one of the flyovers and the van was rattling so badly I thought it was going to fall apart.

But I like rental cars above all.

And always ALWAYS check out ALL prices (transportation and flights) at each airport before making a decision. We had a complicated trip. ONT was the cheapest to fly into. I figured super shuttle had the same pricing structure at all airports. It did NOT. We eliminated all savings in flights with the way our arrivals and departures were, because SS was priced so differently.

so make a chart or a spreadsheet with all the combos.

To be thorough...
There are 5 airports in the greater area.

LAX (Los Angeles)(as a traveler I find this to be a simple airport to navigate. Shuttles to all rental car companies.)

BUR (Burbank)(Bob Hope)

ONT (Ontario)

SNA (Santa Monica)(John Wayne)(very wide. Rental cars and shuttles just across the lanes for pickup and dropoff)

LGB (Long Beach)(Tiny. Adorable. Looks like Casablanca. Has never been even slightly affordable for MY trips.)

SNA (Santa Monica)(John Wayne)(very wide. Rental cars and shuttles just across the lanes for pickup and dropoff)
I'm so sorry to be nitpicky but I don't want anyone to get confused... SNA is Santa Ana, not Santa Monica (LAX is actually right next to Santa Monica though! We could start calling LAX Santa Monica airport to make it sound more glamorous and since LAX has such a bad reputation :rotfl2:)

Last edited:
Countless cab rides from SNA and every single one has been great. They're always clean, well maintained and the drivers were polite.

Who knows, lol. Right now I am really researching Disneyland as a back up trip for next year if we can't cruise...
In doing all your research, look at the sticky threads at the top of the first page of this forum. You want this thread: * DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here!. Click on that and revel in the library of information at your disposal, especially HYDROGUY'S SUPER THREADS AND TIPS. You'll be needing to read:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- SO much helpful trip planning information here!
Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information ~ 3TinksAndAnEeyore -- this is the thread you're in right now -- keep checking here for updated information on airports and ground transportation to DLR
Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure, 3/14/20 - TBA: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here! -- keep checking here for updates on when the CA parks will reopen and for any updates on rules/procedures

I'm so sorry to be nitpicky but I don't want anyone to get confused... SNA is Santa Ana, not Santa Monica (LAX is actually right next to Santa Monica though! We could start calling LAX Santa Monica airport to make it sound more glamorous and since LAX has such a bad reputation :rotfl2:)

haha for the record, Santa Monica is SMO. Trivia fact of the day: TV host Peter Tomarken (Press Your Luck) died in a plane crash after taking off from this airport in 2006. It's also set to close by 2028.

I used to love SNA until I started landing at the far end of the new terminal...it's a hike to rental cars when you've got a kid. My new preferred is LGB, rental cars right across the street and cheap flights from northern california (maybe not anymore since jetblue has left).

But the approach to SNA brings you alongside Disneyland from the north, and that's always fun. If it's in reverse configuration, you land coming in over the ocean/beach. There's also the modified take off procedure I think I mentioned before!

If you could only fly into LAX what shuttle service do you recommend? It would only be me maybe my aunt coming in from baltimore, I would be coming from Hawaii.

If you could only fly into LAX what shuttle service do you recommend? It would only be me maybe my aunt coming in from baltimore, I would be coming from Hawaii.
When are your trip dates? There aren't that many shuttle services to choose from right now. Many people here use Karmel Shuttle. Others use Uber or Lyft or a car service like Lansky's.

So, I'm looking to possibly change my May trip to August. When I booked my flights for my May trip, the cheaper and best airport with the number of flights and times of flights was LAX. Now when I look at an August trip, I can fly into SNA for the same price and same timeframe but there is only one flight. My DD who is coming with me would like to experience and see LAX but I'm looking at smaller Uber fare cost and less hassle of a smaller airport like SNA. What would you choose?

So, I'm looking to possibly change my May trip to August. When I booked my flights for my May trip, the cheaper and best airport with the number of flights and times of flights was LAX. Now when I look at an August trip, I can fly into SNA for the same price and same timeframe but there is only one flight. My DD who is coming with me would like to experience and see LAX but I'm looking at smaller Uber fare cost and less hassle of a smaller airport like SNA. What would you choose?
No question, SNA for convenience and proximity to DLR. However, if that one flight is at a super inconvenient time, then I would be open to looking at LAX.

No question, SNA for convenience and proximity to DLR. However, if that one flight is at a super inconvenient time, then I would be open to looking at LAX.
The flights are almost the exact same times but flying in/out of SNA would mean we would have 1 less different airport for layovers. With using SNA, the layovers are all in Atlanta versus Detroit on the way there and Atlanta on the way home if we use LAX. I wonder in this Covid-19 world right now, is it better to be flying into/out of a small airport or a larger one? Larger may mean higher virus risk and longer time getting in/out (possibly more screening of passengers) but they have more flights available. Smaller airport may have smaller risk and quicker to get in/out of but if the flight gets canceled, I don't have any other options.

When are your trip dates? There aren't that many shuttle services to choose from right now. Many people here use Karmel Shuttle. Others use Uber or Lyft or a car service like Lansky's.
Trip would be next year. But doing research as I have never been to Disneyland. Trying to get a general idea of my basic costs before I really commit to a deal my husband offered me about Disneyland.

I just switched my trip dates from May to November (fingers crossed I didn't make a mistake going with the week of Thanksgiving. LOL) and when I booked airfare in May it was cheapest to fly in and out of LAX for me. Well, now that the dates are changed we will be flying from a different city so I was able to score one way flights to Burbank (the first few days will be in LA and USH) and then we will fly home from LAX after our DL stay. I tried for LGB or SNA, but the prices were either way higher or they didn't fly back into the city we are flying from. I actually banked $150 in credits to use for a future flight. I'm hoping this is all a good sign! Now I have to figure out how to get from DL to LAX the easiest/cheapest/fastest. If the flight doesn't leave until 2:00 pm what time do you recommend leaving Anaheim? Also, is it best to just use an Urber or Lyft or is there shuttles that are better to go with?

I just switched my trip dates from May to November (fingers crossed I didn't make a mistake going with the week of Thanksgiving. LOL) and when I booked airfare in May it was cheapest to fly in and out of LAX for me. Well, now that the dates are changed we will be flying from a different city so I was able to score one way flights to Burbank (the first few days will be in LA and USH) and then we will fly home from LAX after our DL stay. I tried for LGB or SNA, but the prices were either way higher or they didn't fly back into the city we are flying from. I actually banked $150 in credits to use for a future flight. I'm hoping this is all a good sign! Now I have to figure out how to get from DL to LAX the easiest/cheapest/fastest. If the flight doesn't leave until 2:00 pm what time do you recommend leaving Anaheim? Also, is it best to just use an Urber or Lyft or is there shuttles that are better to go with?
Date? Day of week? How many people? How much luggage? Any car seats or boosters needed?

Delta has suspended service to Burbank and Long Beach entirely until September when they will review. The idea is if a market has multiple airports serviced by Delta to consolidate since passengers like in this case can go to LAX.

I love the Long Beach airport, though we usually use Jet Blue. This certainly has some impact on potential summer plans *if* Disneyland were to open.
Here is the official press release.

https://news.delta.com/delta-temporarily-consolidate-flying-select-us-metros

Last edited:
Oh man I'm going to be sad if they keep the SNA route dropped into October. I've just recently starting flying in and out of SNA and it's so wonderful compared to LAX. I usually land around 10am, have tea at the DLH at noon, my room is usually ready by the time tea is done and then hang out in DTD for a little while before an early park day the next morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter