AK - does it make sense?

Zaz936

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

Last time I was at AK, there was no Avatar. Although people seemed at the time not to enjoy it as much, it has always been one of my favorite parks.

I've done a tentative schedule... unfortunately, we may not get what we want for fastpasses as we can only book 30 days out.

Does this make sense? 2 adults, and a 40 inch 5 yrs old and a 12 yrs old ::

Leave Kissimmee hotel at 7:45

Africa
FP : Kilimanjaro safari

10 ish FP : child swap, avatar flight of passage
Navi river

Gorilla Falls Expedition trail
3 PM FP : Festival of the Lion King

Asia
Khali river : being repaired, not available

Mom and 12 yrs old : Everest, single line
Mom and 5 yrs old : Maharaja Jungle Trek

Dinoland

Finding Nemo 4 :30
Dinosaur

Discovery Island
Its tough to be a bug

If time : discovery trails around the tree. or new fastpasses, including character meets.

Lunch or diner : Yak and Yeti café(Africa)

2nd fastpass: Kili safari nighttime.

19h15 : Rivers of Light

Thanks!!

Isabelle

Sorry, meant to say that last time I was at AK, there was no Avatar World so I need to rethink our touring plan... I heard its amazing and I cannot wait to visit.

I would not FP Lion King and would use it on dinosaur or Everest instead sometime after your FOP. There is a big gap of time between 10 and 3.

You definitely will not get FoP at thirty days so if that is a must you have 3 options... 1)Rope Drop it, meaning getting to the park at least an hour before opening, 2) ride at closing as there is no fast pass to compete wth then, or 3) try to snag a same day fast pass and hope for the best. I would expect to fast pass Safari, Dinosaur, and Everest all in the morning and adjust the rest of the day based upon what you decide for FoP. There is no need to fast pass Lion King and you very well may be able to secure a same day fast pass for the evening Safari. Do make your way into Pandora after dark even if you do not plan to ride, the area is amazing at night.

You definitely will not get FoP at thirty days so if that is a must you have 3 options... 1)Rope Drop it, meaning getting to the park at least an hour before opening, 2) ride at closing as there is no fast pass to compete wth then, or 3) try to snag a same day fast pass and hope for the best. I would expect to fast pass Safari, Dinosaur, and Everest all in the morning and adjust the rest of the day based upon what you decide for FoP. There is no need to fast pass Lion King and you very well may be able to secure a same day fast pass for the evening Safari. Do make your way into Pandora after dark even if you do not plan to ride, the area is amazing at night.

Definitely not isn't really true. I would say it's much harder to get a FP for FoP at 30 days out but it can be done. I got one at 25 days out. Sure, it's an evening FP but it's better than not having one. I kept checking a lot and snagged one. Since then, I've seen them pop up again on different days, so it's not impossible. For our family, we really don't want to rope drop FoP, especially since we'll be up early for HS and RotR, we'll also be at Universal early for Hagrid's. So I spent a lot of time checking for a FoP fastpass because then we wouldn't have to worry about doing an early morning or late night.

I'm going to second that opinion it's going to be very near impossible to get those FP's for FoP at 30 days. Sure, if you are lucky and you keep checking, maybe, but just doubtful.

I think the single rider plan for EE is good. I would save the FP for something for the whole family. We sometimes get the FP for FOTLK because we show up right before they shut off FP check-in so we only have to wait 15 minutes for the show. So while I agree you don't have to have that FP, we get it because we've been burned and missed getting in from the stand-by line a couple of times because we just couldn't convince ourselves to get there early enough.

So - you need to lay out TWO plans - one with a FP for FoP, one without a FP for FoP. You'll need to decide if you are willing to RD or wait until close for FOP - and plan the rest of your day based on your ability to do that. And by rope drop - we mean actually being at the tapstiles an hour in advance of park opening. Can your 5 yo handle a VERY long day?

Our last trip - because FOP was a priority and we didn't get the FP at 60 days (plus 1-5!) - we opted for a Disney After Hours Event instead (7pm to midnight). BUT - our kid was 9 and is happy to be given permission to be a night owl. BUT - you won't see the shows with that approach to getting on FoP

Getting FOP at 30 days is not realistic--it is pretty much impossible to get at 60 days. And at 10pm, the wait for Navi River will be long. I would suggest trying to get a FP for Navi River and rope dropping FOP.

Thank you everyone. I thought that FOP had quieted down... I'll do all I can to try and get a fastpass, and we'll adjust the plan accordingly. If we were to decide to rope-drop it, how long could the wait be?

My friend really wants the Safari. So would we have any chance of doing Safari at rope-drop, and getting an AM Navi River fastpass? Maybe that is more doable? Considering the tier system, if we do Navi River and use all of our other fastpass, could we get FOP during the day?

Thank you!

Thank you everyone. I thought that FOP had quieted down... I'll do all I can to try and get a fastpass, and we'll adjust the plan accordingly. If we were to decide to rope-drop it, how long could the wait be?

My friend really wants the Safari. So would we have any chance of doing Safari at rope-drop, and getting an AM Navi River fastpass? Maybe that is more doable? Considering the tier system, if we do Navi River and use all of our other fastpass, could we get FOP during the day?

Thank you!
If you rope drop, FOP you will need to be in the park at the rope absolutely no later than 30 minutes early (ideally earlier) because they let in the FOP crowd early. On our last trip, we had a bus breakdown and didn’t arrive at Pandora until 8:45 for a 9am open, and at that point the queue was snaking around the park and wait time was 90 minutes. Navi remains easy to rope drop though—we walked right on that with no more than around a 15 minute wait.

Same day fastpass drops for FOP do happen, but not consistently. That ride remains very high in demand, for good reason.

Hi all,

Last time I was at AK, there was no Avatar. Although people seemed at the time not to enjoy it as much, it has always been one of my favorite parks.

I've done a tentative schedule... unfortunately, we may not get what we want for fastpasses as we can only book 30 days out.

Does this make sense? 2 adults, and a 40 inch 5 yrs old and a 12 yrs old ::

Assuming you are talking about a 9:00A open, and NOT an EMH day, I can offer some advice... You will not, in all likelyhood get a FoP FP at 30 days (but will probably be able to when you are there). Try to get FP like this: 9:00 Na'vi, 10:00 Safari, 11:00 KRR,

Leave Kissimmee hotel at 7:45 - leave earlier (be parked and heading to turnstiles at least 45 minutes before park opening)

Ropedrop FoP - learn how to do it effectively in advance. If you are up front - you will be finished with FoP before the park has been open 30 minutes (hopefully even faster). Immediately go to Na'vi with FP. Right after you scan your FPs for Na'vi, log in to the app while in line, and start trying to change your 10:00 Safari FP to 9:30 -9:40 start if you can - you will prob have to refresh the times available several if not more times - but heck - you are in line right? Ride Na'vi.

Head toward Africa (the back way - walking past the enormous line for FoP you didn't have to wait in). Ride Safari with your 9:30ish FP. As soon as you scan your safari FPs (and while in line), start tring to modify your KRR FP from 11:15 to ASAP (10:00?) Enjoy the safari. Then it's off to Asia for Kali - As soon as you scan in to KRR, you are free to make another FP - refresh the offerings repeatedly until you find a really good one with an early return time. I suggest you look for Dinosaur anticipating about 30-40 minutes at EE for single rider line on the way to Dino. Remember, as soon as you scan into dino, you can start looking for a 4th FP. Refresh the offerings frequently in order to get an early one you want in AK or any other park.... It might even be too early for Lunch still- but you did the full loop and you will be hungry - sit down to eat and look for the best FP you can get - if you refresh the apps offerings enough, you will find something good at a good time. You will easily be able to see all of AK in a day this way, and maybe even get a second (and third) ride on FoP (I think you will want that). Trails and shows can then be enjoyed at leisure too - generally you won't need a FP for these.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!