Akershus - reviews please!

magicplace4me

Mouseketeer
I'm looking for some feedback on Akershus. I am looking for a good place for dinner within EPCOT. The menu seems to have plenty of options (I have two very different DS's) and the prices aren't bad.

I would love any comments from those of you who have dined here fairly recently! Thanks!

My family and I dined here in 2001, and really enjoyed. Our server was very good, the place was basically empty(in Feb.), the food was diffeent but not to out there. Great price for what you get. The marinated cheese was fantastic. We did not have a PS and were seated right away.

There was only one thing that bothered me at the time. My mother thought I was crazy, but my eyes don't lie.

As we were telling the hostess how many were in our group there were two CM's standing next to me and were looking at me, laughing, pointing, and speaking norwegian.

I swear they were talking about. Hey, You Never Know. But, overall a very good place as long as your not self conscious. LOL

Those who dined were my DH 27, myself 27, DSis 21, DS 7 and DS 1. My husband LOVED this place-he says were are going back to WDW on the condition that we eat here again. I said what if we eat counter service and then we can have a nice dessert while he enjoys his much awaited supper. He loved all the different cheeses, salmon, meatballs, scrambled eggs, and breads. I along with the rest of my family only liked the meatballs and some of the bread. My husband enjoyed his beer, his meal and the atmosphere!!! I agree the atmosphere was nice, we did not have a PS but were seated in 20 minutes.
I guess if your family likes all cheeses, salmon, meatballs-they will love this.
The desserts looked great-we didnt' try because we wanted to watch Illuminations.
We did also eat chinese at Nine Dragons-this was loved by all!!
Oh we ate here Jan 2003.

My DH and I ate here in aug. for lunch. We eat here every year and we have been to Norway so we are used to the food. They have changed the buffet this year. I can't comment on what the difference of the lunch versus dinner offerings will be except for the price difference. Our 3 ds do not like this place 15,13 and 11 so we sent them to the counter service at the american adventure and they were very happy there and we got some nice mom and dad quiet time. Anyway at the buffet there are all the cold items. Assorted breads, herrings etc, and salads. I did notice they did not have soup anymore. Even in aug. we were soaked from the rain and it would have been good. Everything we had was good. I am not a big fish person. DH is the adventorus one. He tries everything. Also in Norway they serve reindeer. That is not on any menu here for sure. For the hot items you are given a menu and are told it will take 15 minutes to prepare. I do feel you are discouraged from ordering a huge portion. I did tell our server we would not be sharing as we both liked different things so he was welcome to have the portion made smaller. They only encouraged 1 selection per person at a time. I chose the lamb with cabbage. It was very good. DH had the trout. THen later he got a serving of salmon. I took a bite and it was excellent. I wanted the meatballs and vegetables. etc. These are only served as sides on a smaller plate. A small serving of veg and potatoes and maybe a few meatballs. DH asked for more potatoes and never got them. I must say our server seemed very immature and young. He disappeared alot and it was a long time before drink refills (note drinks are extra and not included in the buffet as is the dessert choices.) Well for dessert we decided he would get the berry tart and I got the viking ship. We shared and both were excellent. This is not a place you can rush in and out of so schedule your time accordingly. All in all the food was excellent as usual and the service was slow and serene. If you have young picky children they will probably only eat bread and meatballs. Our kids liked the troll cookie dessert.

I am becoming a bit more adventurous in my dining habits. I do not like fish which there is a lot of at Akershus but I love the buffet. There are amny things that are somewhat familiar but spced differently. The scrambled eggs are served cold, there is an egg salad (similar to what we put on sandwiches here) with ham in it and a hint of a different spice. There are sliced ham and turkey and cheeses and meat salad ( never says what kind of meat:but its good). The new way they serve the hot items does take a bit more time but I thought the quality was much better than when everything was sitting on the steam tables. I ordered some interesting meatballs with beets and pickles and cabbage that were good and a mushroom pasta that was very rich and was a nice portion. I still love this place.

We went there twice in Aug, and had lovely meals. I do think that it does help if you like fish although there are other choices. The cold buffet has many fresh dishes, and the entrees are prepared to order. I particularly liked the salmon with garlic custard which sounds weird, but was absolutely gorgeous. The portions aren't large, but you can have more than one if you would like to. It does therefore pay not to be in a hurry if you want to sample more than one dish.

Thanx for all the reponses ~ I can't wait to eat at this restaurant next month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter