• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKL Check In When??? DME Question

geniegirl

DIS Veteran
Ok so we decied to rent a car so we could go shopping our first night and not have to deal with the higher cost, selection issues.... plus this will help out with not having to deal with a stroller on the bus and for our sons morning pirante adventure.

So we land around 11am and plan to hit Epcot for a bit, ride, eat dinner... plan to be back at room around 7. Is there any reason we should stop at AKL and "check in" before we head to the park. I know the room will most likely not be ready but does it help to register then just have to stop and get the key? Thinking about room selection - we booked a 1 br savanna view.

Uggg just realized as I type we need to hit the resort at least to pick up the stroller we rented and may have to leave some bags depending on if it will fit, but should we go through the check in process or not???

Oh and I think I remember reading that in order to have DME take the bags to the room you need to ride the bus, is that the case? We were booked to take DME but just changed this over the weekend for the car. If they could still handle the bags then thats one less issue but I think this is a no, no, just checking.

Thanks

Maybe one person in your party could ride ME to take the bags to AKV, check in and pick up the stroller. Then they could meet you at the park. Just an idea...

You need to ride to have Disney handle your luggage.

If you don't check into your room until later, you run the risk of getting a less desirable room. During the day, the Front Deck CM's might take your assigned room and give it to someone asking for a different room.

:earsboy: Bill

Thas what I was just thinking, I could take the bus with our older son who wanted to take the bus anyways - "check in" then head to epcot while DP picks up the car seat and car and heads over. We can meet at the park or at the resort depending on how each of us are progressing. That way they deal with the bags.

What about heading back, our flight is at 9am so could we give them the bags to be checked the night before or early in the morning but not get on the bus, is that against the rules. Going home is eaiser to deal with the bags but just figured with 2 kids and 2 car seats it might be nice for them to handle the checked bags.

Checkng In Questions

But if I "check in" at 11 am and the room is not ready and I head off the park cant they still take the room from me? I am not making any requests but would like to get as good as a view as we can. Just want to see if "checking in" early would be better or not if they are not ready to give me a key on the spot.

Do you have an AP? Without it or stopping by the resort first to get the paking pass you will have to pay for parking at the park.

Hmmmm - see all this stuff I didnt think about. Ok so it looks like 2 of us will take the bus so they can still handle the bags, then the other 2 will get the car and head to the resort to pick us up after we check in and get the car pass.

Thanks all.

Any thoughts on having DME take the bags back even if we all take the car?

Are you only renting the car for the grocery run? If so you could use wegoshop or garden grocer instead. It would cost less and save you time.

Checkng In Questions

But if I "check in" at 11 am and the room is not ready and I head off the park cant they still take the room from me? I am not making any requests but would like to get as good as a view as we can. Just want to see if "checking in" early would be better or not if they are not ready to give me a key on the spot.

Once you register and get the room keys, the room is yours.

If you are flying one of the partner airlines,
AirTran Airways
Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
Continental Airlines
Delta Air Lines
JetBlue Airways
Northwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines
United Air Lines
US Airways

you can check in at the resort remotely, get your boarding pass and check your luggage using "RAC" remote airline check in. It has nothing to do with ME.

:earsboy: Bill

Yes we are getting a car for food, we have used the on-line stuff in the past but the selection is not as good for vegetarian / vegan items plus the cost is really high on some items so we thought of getting a car just for a day. That was about $60 which is close to the fees they charge for deliverly and tipping when you factor in the upcharges on items as well.

Second the car will help with having to transport stroller and for when we have to get the GF for the morning pirate adventure.

Anyways what I was asking about checking in at the resort for the room - not the plane back- if we get to AKL around noon we most likly wont get a room, therefore we wont get a key. But this is all mute because we do need to "check in" to get the parking pass for the car.

So the new plan is to split up 2 on the bus 2 in the car then check in then head to the park. It is still early enough that we will be ok.

The flights were free and we got a good cost on the car so this is our treat to have a car of own to use. In the past we always used the busses even when we drove down but with 2 kids and a double stroller this just seems eaiser for some days. May end up using the busses for a few days.

Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter