AKL Restaurants

Connecticute

Earning My Ears
We're going to be down at Disney next month. We're hoping to get a dining reservation for one of the AKL restaurants so we can see the animals walking around. It sounds intriguing. So far, no luck getting a meal at a reasonable time for us, but I'll keep looking. If we don't get a reservation for a meal, are we allowed to go to AKL and just check it out? Is there a non-restaurant option for viewing the animals?

I know the pools are off-limits if you aren't staying at the hotel, and I know you are able to travel among the resorts for dining, but what about just checking the place out? We're also hoping to check out the Contemporary, because riding a monorail into a hotel sounds fun. Is that also feasible if we're not staying there?

I can’t answwr the first part of your question as I’ve only ever eaten at Boma at AKL and a reservation is needed to eat there.

For the second question, you can ride the monorail to the Contemporary if you’re not staying there. It is pretty cool especially if you’ve never done it before. At the Contemporary, if you are looking for a place to eat, we enjoy The Wave. Reservations are needed, but are usually pretty easy to come by.

ETA - I just reread your question. You can definitely go to AKL and check it out even if you aren’t staying there. The same goes for any Disney resort.

Yes, you can visit any WDW Resort Hotel without an ADR but you'll have to take WDW transportation. There is great animal viewing if you walk straight to the back of the lobby and out the back doors. It's not reserved for anybody, any person visiting the hotel can go out there and see the animals.

Good luck getting an ADR, Boma and Sanaa are two of our favorite places.

Oh yes, you can visit the common areas of any of the Disney resorts and AKL has some beautiful one's. They also have an area where you can view the animals with night vision glasses. This was a lot of fun and there were not a lot of people doing it when we were there in September.

Boma is very good ( it's a buffet ) but it doesn't have animal viewing. Jiko ( at Jambo House ) and Sanaa ( at Kidani Village ) have views of some of the animals. I'd keep trying to see if something opens at your preferred but Boma is a great option and then viewing in the common areas.

We had a great of the animals both before and during our meal at Sanaa. Also whenever we eat at Boma we always visit AKL early to enjoy the resort. The gift shop has some items unique to AKL.

If you don't get an ADR, you don't need to go all the way out of your way to AKL just to see the animals. The same (and many more) animals can be seen on Kilimanjaro safaris at Animal Kingdom.

If its AKL and animals you want then I'd suggest Sanaa for lunch. They have tables that overlook the savanna and even if you don't get one you can go out and explore before or after your meal. Plus the food is amazing and its one of our favorite places on property.

If you can't get a reservation somewhere and still want to check out the lodge you of course can go at anytime, but you may want to think about checking out their quick service - Mara - which is one of the better QS places on property IMO.

You could also try Boma's for breakfast.

We try to eat and visit AKL during our trips even though didn't stay there. They have other activities like night vision views, story time, etc that we have done with staying there and guess you could as well.

If you can't get a ADR, look at Mara's menu. I know they service Zebra domes!

Boma is very good ( it's a buffet ) but it doesn't have animal viewing. Jiko ( at Jambo House ) and Sanaa ( at Kidani Village ) have views of some of the animals. I'd keep trying to see if something opens at your preferred but Boma is a great option and then viewing in the common areas.

Jiko does not have animal views. It looks out over the pool at Jambo House.

I think AKL is worth a visit just to walk around and take in the artwork. It is stunning. IMO, the animals are a bonus.

I would not worry about getting an ADR at either Boma or Jiko. The Mara is a very good CS restaurant.

They used to let you park and go in to look around. As they have gotten busier, they don't tend to let cars come i to park unless you are staying there or have an ADR.
AKL is beautiful to walk around.
Boma is very good for any meal. Sanaa is also very good, love the bread service.
Jiko is one of our favorite restaurants at WDW.
Good luck with the ADRs.

Our last stay was at AKL. It is a beautiful resort and we love Boma. Boma has, in my opinion, the best breakfast buffet in all of WDW. The dinner is very good, too, and our favorite dinner buffet. We liked the counter service Mara, but I wouldn't go to AKL just to eat there. It was good but it wasn't THAT good. (In fact, the menu is very limited and we got sick of eating the same thing so we stopped eating there)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter