Akl vs. WL

J&Z's Dad

Earning My Ears
We're going to give resort hopping a try on our trip in early September. We've decided to stay at POR for 4 nights and are thinking about either Akl or WL for our last 3 nights. It will be my wife, two sons (3 & 1) and my parents. We'll be getting two rooms. I personally like the themeing (at least from what I've seen on-line) better at WL. Plus the lake and boat to MK are bonuses. My 3-year-old however loves animals and seeing the giraffes and other animals would be great for him. We're torn. Does anyone have any opinions of either that would help us to make up our minds?

Thank you in advance.

Staying at WL would be awesome being so close to the MK (the park you will most likely be at a lot) and then the AKL is totally awesome too with the views of the animals and close to AK park! Wow! this is a hard call, maybe go with the one with the best rate! This is the problem I always run into because I want to do them all when I stay! LOL! With your children so young you may want to do WL to be close to MK! Whichever you choose you will love either one! (I don't think I was such a big help!)

Just a FYI - the architect who designed the Wl also did the AKL - so you will notice similarities Immediately between the two! Both have lots of wood in their designs - and both are beautiful!!

It's a tough call - WL has better MK access, but AKL is so amazing you may not want to leave it (I seemed to find reasons to keep going back to the room - just to watch the animals).

I think the excitment of seeing the animals from your room balcony would be too much to pass up. I'll cast my vote for AKL.

-Kim

My vote is for the WL. Ask for bunk beds, the boys will love this. And you're right about the theming - it is awesome! (of course, I MAY be a little biased, based on my screen name!)

My family will be there in June - 3rd time we've stayed there. But I will be checking out the AKL, as we have never been to it before.

I like them both as well, although the WL is my absolute favorite! :) It really depends on what kind of theming you ultimately like and what parks you will be going to. For example, the Magic Kingdom is quite a "hike" from AKL, but Animal Kingdom is just around the corner. POR is pretty close to MK so if you chose AKL you'd want to do MK while at POR. There is plenty for kids to do at both resorts. It sounds like you're leaning toward WL so I'd go for that. WL is just spectacular! :cool:

We have stayed at both and I would have a hard time deciding. They both have their good points. Both are beautiful but I think AKL is probably my favorite one right now. The African guides are so knowledgeable and friendly. The storytellers at the firepit are wonderful too. I really enjoyed watching the animals.

AKL all the way.....the kids will love it...

Thank you. Seems like people really like the AKL. How is the transportation between the parks and AKL?

WL:D !!! Not only do you have the boat access to the MK, but also to all the MK resorts should you have PS's there. PLUS you can watch the EWP each night from your balcony or beach. The geyser is fun to watch too. There are many ducks and we saw baby deer in Dec. :) Kids LOVE the lobby with the little bridge and waterfall...Ahh...I am ready to return...

If your son really likes animals staying at AKL will make his day. Get a savannah room and he will be able to watch animals right from the balcony. Also make sure you go listen to the story tellers they are very interesting and sitting around the big fire is so relaxing.

Both are great but AKL is really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, reallyreally, really, really, really, really, really GREAT!!!:jester:

As for the transportation, there is a misconception that AKL is in the boonies or something. In fct itakesabout 12-15 minutes to get to MK, 5 minutes to Epcot, less than 5 minutes to MGM and 1.5 minutes to AK. MK is closer to WL but aside from the option of riding the motor launch to MK, transportation at WL leaves a lo t be desired (shared busses with the Poly & GF & FW, for example). AKL has dedicated busses (service AKL only).
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

Stayed at both on our Feb trip. Somewhere, I did a thread "AKL vs. WL" that contrasts the two. We loved both -- but I would give a slight advantage to WL -- I think it has the most wonderful CM's in the World, plus love the EWP and boat to the MK.

You won't go wrong either way. I plan to stay at both again!

We just got back from staying at AKL. We took the grandkids and I can't tell you how much they liked seeing the animals from our balcony! The girls liked the animals as much as the Theme Parks.
AKL transportation was wonderful. We never waited over fifteen minutes for a bus.
Deb
:earsgirl:

Ok, Ok-- you have convinced me. I just made resies this morning for POR and ..... AKL. THanks for all your advice. Maybe next time we'll stay at WL.

We are having to split up this summer - Myself, DD and DS #2 are staying at the AKL in June and DH and DS #1 are staying at the WL in July!!
We have never stayed at the WL before - DH wants to try it this time.
I asked DD and DS #2 (ages 13 and 11) where they wanted to stay and they both said "AKL!!" simultaneously. This was from kids who have stayed at many WDW resorts! We stayed there last summer and were all blown away by this resort. The whole family loved gazing at the animals (get savannah view if you can!!). The architecture is amazing. You are really transported when you step into the lobby. The pool is very pretty and a nice shallow depth for your kids. Only disadvantage for us was distance from some of the parks, but we still have decided to return there this summer.
If you decide to go AKL, spend more time at the MK earlier in your trip.

Just curious. The $139 rate is awesome, but is a standard view too disappointing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter