AKL walking issues

limabeanmom2003

Wilderness Lodge Memories
My parents are staying at AKL for our trip in May. My dad has back and hip problems which make walking long distances difficult. They have a standard room booked and have requested a room close to the lobby. Is there anyone who is familiar with AKL and can reccommend a room location that would minimize walking? I know he will want to go to the quick service food area - is that a long walk from the lobby?

I've only stayed at AKL once. My room was on the same level as the lobby (which I believe is actually level 3), but my room was about as far from the lobby as you can get.

The quick service food area (Mara) is on a different level. It was a long, long trek from my room, but there are rooms that would be closer. I'm just not sure how much of a guarantee you get on which room will be assigned to you.

You might want to look into a wheelchair (limited availability at the hotel) or an ECV (rental).

I'd second the recommendation for a wheelchair or ECV as, if the distance around the hotel will be difficult, smoe form of help would really give him a lot more enjoyment of the parks. If you rent from an external company, you can keep it for the whole trip, so distances around the hotel won't be an issue.

Have a great time :goodvibes !

We have never stayed at AKL, but we have visited there often.
It is a beautiful resort, but very spread out. I'd second the suggestion to get a wheelchair or ECV.
There are many places to go without leaving the resort - a nice overlook path area to look at other savannahs, some very nice covered porches where you can sit in rocking chairs and just watch the animals. If you plan to go to the parks, in order to get to the buses, you do need to go thru the lobby to the bus stop.

So, unless he is planning to stay at the resort the whole time, a wheelchair or ECV would allow him to do a lot more.
If you want more information about ECVs and/or wheelchairs, there is a lot of information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the board.

We stayed at AKL last week and our room was also about as far as you can get from the lobby. If I didn't have an ECV, I am not sure I could walk the distance a few times a day. The restaurants were on a lower level. We plugged my ECV in every night by the double sink.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter