AKV not getting the type of room that you booked

Cyberc1978

DIS Veteran
This is my second longer stay at AKV, I had more shorter stays but it’s also the second time I didn’t get the room that I booked.

We had booked a studio club level but upon arrival they couldn’t accommodate us. For what ever reason we got a savannah view on the 5th floor and a $150 compensation. We still have the same privileges as those on the sixth.

I actually love staying here and are also in the middle of buying a smaller contract.

I’m just wondering if this is the new normal that when booking value or club level rooms then you won’t get the rooms anyway?

I don’t know if being on the fifth floor instead of the sixth is considered a up or downgrade? - we got the better view but need to walk longer for the food.

Regards.

Something may have happened that the club studio had to be taken our of service for maintenance. You still have access to the concierge lounge with the bonus of savannah view and $150 so I'd be happy with that. In terms of how often that happens, I don't think it's a lot.

You said this is the second time...what happened the first time, same scenario with club level?

Last edited:
This is certainly not the norm. By the way, you might want to change the title of this thread to "type" of room, not particular room. Anyway, that would be considered an upgrade, with concierge level amenities, oh heck yeah! You won't have the kitchenette, but I'd take the nice free food all day, over being able to wash my coffee mug!

Something may have happened that a the club studio had to be taken our of service for maintenance. You still have access to the concierge lounge with the bonus of savannah view and $150 so I'd be happy with that. In terms of how often that happens, I don't know if there's a way of gauging that!

You said this is the second time...what happened the first time, same scenario with club level?

Earlier this year we had a value room booked and ended up with a standard/savannah view.

It’s not that I’m complaining about being upgraded I’m just puzzled that it happened again and it’s twice in a year. Most others never experienced being upgraded for any reason.

On another note just talked to the staff in the lounge regarding the pool. They said normally the bottom should get maintenance every few years but never had and going on the 17 year it was heavily overdue.

Are they just dragging out the maintenance for the resort and in the end causing this “room taken out of service thing”

This is certainly not the norm. By the way, you might want to change the title of this thread to "type" of room, not particular room. Anyway, that would be considered an upgrade, with concierge level amenities, oh heck yeah! You won't have the kitchenette, but I'd take the nice free food all day, over being able to wash my coffee mug!

Thanks just updated the title.

This is actually our first club level experience and I didn’t know you would get a kitchenette just the regular microwave and small fridge.

Just wondered since it was the second time we booked one type of room and got another type.

I find the food offerings nice my daughters not so much, except for the free soda and cookies/candy :-)

Not a bad deal. I’m glad they offered you $150 in addition to CL amenities. And if it’s Arusha view, that’s even better.

Cash CL rooms are on the 4th floor, which is an even longer walk. 6th floor DVC CL rooms are over the lobby (can get loud) with a meh view of a Savannah or pool. We will be there next month. Have a great trip!

So by putting us on the 5th floor they have forgotten about the daily mousekeeping and evening turnover service.

We were promised that we would still get this but it looks like they have forgotten about it :-(

CL sixth floor room views are the worse, you got the best of both worlds IMO.

:earsboy: Bill

So by putting us on the 5th floor they have forgotten about the daily mousekeeping and evening turnover service.

We were promised that we would still get this but it looks like they have forgotten about it :-(

We've had them forget it even on the 6th floor.....

Talk to the concierge about it.

Thanks just updated the title.

This is actually our first club level experience and I didn’t know you would get a kitchenette just the regular microwave and small fridge.

Just wondered since it was the second time we booked one type of room and got another type.

I find the food offerings nice my daughters not so much, except for the free soda and cookies/candy :-)

It's the same kitchenette in Club level studios as you have on the 5th floor studio.

We've had a handful of club level stays and have always been in the correct rooms. My last was a longish stay in April. What I've tended to get though was the pool/roof view vs the savannah view with fewer animals. I'm against the norm in that I really like the overhangs but pool vs savannah view is tough.

You didn't happen to book this when there was the sudden bunch of AKV rooms that showed up, did you? That might explain the overbooking. As mentioned though, the hotel side concierge level rooms are on the 4th floor so they aren't really going to think being on the 5th floor is any different than what the hotel has always had.

They are good about making sure the guest doesn't feel cheated out of anything when something like this happens... I always mention upon checking in that if there is a shortage of rooms I would give mine up if needed - only happened twice, but they were very grateful and compensated me for the "inconvenience" :)

You didn't happen to book this when there was the sudden bunch of AKV rooms that showed up, did you? That might explain the overbooking. As mentioned though, the hotel side concierge level rooms are on the 4th floor so they aren't really going to think being on the 5th floor is any different than what the hotel has always had.

No I actually booked it way back in May when suddenly I saw an opening.

On another note I noticed the room does not have the “regular” paper plates they have real plates etc. is that because it’s not a dvc room but a regular room?

On another note I noticed the room does not have the “regular” paper plates they have real plates etc. is that because it’s not a dvc room but a regular room?

It sounds like a DVC room. Regular rooms do not have the kitchenette and only a coffee maker and mini fridge.

All the 5th floor is DVC - that's where you said you were moved to, correct?

All the 5th floor is DVC - that's where you said you were moved to, correct?
Correct.

Odd thing is that next to the door opposite ours it says DVC on a sign so does many of the other doors. Ours does however not have the sign.

Correct.

Odd thing is that next to the door opposite ours it says DVC on a sign so does many of the other doors. Ours does however not have the sign.

Must have fallen off or been popped off. Or maybe they ran out when putting them up. :goodvibes

:-)

What about the missing paper plates which is now regular plates?

The regular hotel rooms don't get any plates so that's a clue it's DVC. Why you have real vs paper? They can be requested so maybe a previous occupant did that and housekeeping never removed them? Just a guess.

This is my second longer stay at AKV, I had more shorter stays but it’s also the second time I didn’t get the room that I booked.

We had booked a studio club level but upon arrival they couldn’t accommodate us. For what ever reason we got a savannah view on the 5th floor and a $150 compensation. We still have the same privileges as those on the sixth.

I actually love staying here and are also in the middle of buying a smaller contract.

I’m just wondering if this is the new normal that when booking value or club level rooms then you won’t get the rooms anyway?

I don’t know if being on the fifth floor instead of the sixth is considered a up or downgrade? - we got the better view but need to walk longer for the food.

Regards.

Your "misfortune" is in actuality "hitting the jackpot." I'd be more than happy with it, even w/o the turndown etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!