AKV or OKW

Lynzer4

DIS Veteran
We are traveling with a large group with 5 adults and 4 kids (ages 12-4).

Room size and people we need a 2 bedroom but most likely would do a studio and 2 bedroom for easier sleeping arrangements. But we could also do a Grand villa at Old Key West

I can do a grand villa at old key west or a studio and 2 bedroom at Animal Kingdom for the points I have and for what I think will be available at my 7 month window. But I am having a hard time deciding what to do. Old key West doesn't really call to me like the other resorts.

Any thoughts, suggestions, tips! Cant decide what would be best. Leaning towards AKV as I think the kids will like it more regarding theme but I like the idea of a Grand and being in one room.

A GV at OKW would give you a nice amount of room, but depending on the time of year may be difficult to book (unless it is a home resort for you).

With a large group, sometimes its nice to have space and separation. A 2BR and studio would be good for this. Studios and 2Br at OKW are large. Kidani gives you an extra bath in the 2BR, but is more points. How much time will you spend in the room/at the resort?

You really can't go wrong either way. AKV is beautiful and OKW has lots of space.

OKW GV gives you a lot of room. We stayed with three children and six adults and had more than enough room. They are hard to get though unless you are booking far ahead of your trip.

With that many people it might be nice to have a separate studio in case some people want a little privacy at times.

OKW is in need of a serious renovation IMO, which it is finally getting now but it won’t be done for 18+ months most likely. After that I think it’ll be a top choice.

None of us can decide which "resort" you will like. We all are different and what appeals to some may be a turn off to others. My family of six adults and three children have managed well with 2BR at both OKW and AKV. But that dictates someone using the sofa in the living room for their bed. Having the Grand Villa or a studio in addition to a 2BR unit would make the sleeping arrangements better for all if you can afford the points.

I love OKW, myself. My daughter-in-law likes AKV better, most in our group is just glad to be there (anywhere on site). OKW has parking near your front door, larger rooms, laid back atmosphere, lush landscaping and I personally like the décor. AKV décor and theming is attractive, but I am not fond of the parking under the units and the distance to all the theme parks other than Animal Kingdom.

Good luck with your choice and have a great vacation.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how your party would divide up if you went the 2BR/studio route. You can note "traveling with" so that you could get your rooms to be close. If you are not all close family there might be a portion of your group who would appreciate some more privacy - not everyone works on the same routine or schedule.

If you were to just compare resorts AKV would win - for uniqueness, views and restaurants (3 great TS). Staying in a grand villa would be nice too. I guess you need to make up a pro/con list with your family. The kids would really like the pools and views at AKV but if Disney springs is a draw then OKW wins.

It is a tough call when you really start looking and comparing the two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter