AKV Price Increased Most in 2017 - 38%

aoconnor

WDW Nut
All resale prices increased since the summer but none as much as AKV. According to data from one of the biggest brokers the average sale price increased 38% in 2017, from $80 in January to $110 in December.

I thought Pandora would give it a little boost but not to this level. I'm trying to add on another 100 points but can't bring myself to do it when just 8 months ago I paid $78/ point for my last add on :eek:

The next biggest increase was BWV at 26% followed by OKW.

Last edited:
Wow. I'm shocked to see that. They really skyrocketed in the past few months. When I was looking at contracts this past summer they were around $95 a point.

Looking to add-on there and just saw the insane increase. Can it stay that high? I doubt it. Anyway, I'm not willing to take the chance that in 6 months it'll return to "normal."

Looking to add-on there and just saw the insane increase. Can it stay that high? I doubt it. Anyway, I'm not willing to take the chance that in 6 months it'll return to "normal."

With all the items Disney is adding before and during the 50th anniversary I don’t assume anything will go down dramatically.

No, you're probably right. But I think this AKV inflation is particular (since it's the highest). I'd pay anywhere in the nineties, but people are asking for 115+ for loaded (not even fully loaded) contracts, and that makes it too much of a seller's market for me to buy.

No, you're probably right. But I think this AKV inflation is particular (since it's the highest). I'd pay anywhere in the nineties, but people are asking for 115+ for loaded (not even fully loaded) contracts, and that makes it too much of a seller's market for me to buy.

Yeah, with the high MFs and easy 7 month booking there, spending only $20 more for a BLT contract just makes too much sense, or $100 for a SSR one.

Yeah, with the high MFs and easy 7 month booking there, spending only $20 more for a BLT contract just makes too much sense, or $100 for a SSR one.
With the rate at which the MF's are increasing at BLT it won't be long until they catch up and/or surpass the other resorts.

Well, Jambo can be hard to get at 7 months but usually fine at Kidani. And the value rooms are a stellar value. Can’t count on getting them every time but it’s great when you do - I’ve personally not had trouble getting them right at 11 months but I don’t travel at peak times.

With the rate at which the MF's are increasing at BLT it won't be long until they catch up and/or surpass the other resorts.

May be quite a while. In 8 years, BLT has increased 35 cents more than AKV and is still 84 cents cheaper.

Well, Jambo can be hard to get at 7 months but usually fine at Kidani. And the value rooms are a stellar value. Can’t count on getting them every time but it’s great when you do - I’ve personally not had trouble getting them right at 11 months but I don’t travel at peak times.

It's interesting to me.... it seems not as many people worry too much about how many points is takes for their stay but will go nuts thinking they're over-paying $15 / pt for something. That cost is minor in my mind -vs- consistently paying 75 points more per trip. I'm fascinated by this, really.

It's interesting to me.... it seems not as many people worry too much about how many points is takes for their stay but will go nuts thinking they're over-paying $15 / pt for something. That cost is minor in my mind -vs- consistently paying 75 points more per trip. I'm fascinated by this, really.

Well all points are even at 7 months. Lots of rooms at AKV. The value ones there are rare enough that people are frequently walking them.

I still think VGF is the best "value" in the sense that prices have not gone up very much at all since the time they've gone resale. (Now I am wondering if I should have gotten 100 or so more points. That ship has sailed, I think, given recent VGF asking prices around $170pp.)

I still think VGF is the best "value" in the sense that prices have not gone up very much at all since the time they've gone resale. (Now I am wondering if I should have gotten 100 or so more points. That ship has sailed, I think, given recent VGF asking prices around $170pp.)

I think it’s definitely the best value of the monorail resorts given the 11 month window is the most necessary and it’s only marginally more expensive. Of course it’s not the cheapest ‘sleeping around’ points, but that’s not the main motivation for many.

Well all points are even at 7 months. Lots of rooms at AKV. The value ones there are rare enough that people are frequently walking them.

I'm not real familiar with what's available at AKV at 7 mo. honestly, so maybe it doesn't apply here or I wasn't following the conversation as it was meant.

I've just noticed a lot of people will buy SSR to "book anywhere" because it's lower buy in and dues (currently), but then make sure they're buying enough points to stay 1 bedroom LV at BLT or a 1 bed P/G at BWV.....something like that because that's what they think will be available at 7 mo. Where as buying less points at BWV where you've got a shot at std studio for 50 points or AKV for a shot at a value for 45 pts or at BLT for std studio at 75 (at a time when that 1 bed LV at BLT is 165 or the 1 bed BWV P/G is 145) seems more practical to me even if it costs me more per point.

Believe me I see where having extra points to blow would be very nice and that a 1 bed is larger accommodations. However, I personally can somehow "get over" the per point purchase price much easier than I can come to terms with the total cost of buying an extra 75-100 points, paying dues for years and years on those extra points, even if the dues are a few cents lower and I "got a good deal" on the purchase. And obviously, studios are ok with me. We'll actually get 2 - I wouldn't spend the points on a 2 bedroom. lol

And I'm not saying anyone is wrong for doing anything they chose to do with their own money or that my way of thinking is even right. I just find it fascinating how some people will view things so differently.

Well buying SSR for a 1 bedroom is a great strategy, if you want a 1 bedroom! Not everyone wants a studio, we wouldn’t stay in one, and once you go 1 bed it’s hard to go back. Much superior rooms and the kitchen is a great bonus. Particularly so at the example of BLT where studios are cramped, but 1 beds some of the best. Depends what you want, but not everyone buys DVC for the cheapest per points a night option, it was the flexibility of accommodation size that sold it to us, if it was just studios we wouldn’t actually have bought in.
The 1 beds compared to the studios are overpriced points wise I agree (compared to cash rates) but again I don’t mind that as it makes them less popular and makes my bookings at any resort I choose very easy to get, the SSR points were very reasonable to buy initially and the extra dues per year are a trade off I’m very happy with for superior accommodations and total flexibility of booking at 7 months.

Can someone link/pm me the article mentioned? I've googled and searched but I can't find it! :)

We opted for a fully loaded AKV contract bc it was the right # of points, right use-year, longer contract length, and the value studio potential (already have 3 nights booked in one for November!)... but all that said, if the price was closer to BLT, I would have gone straight to BLT!

Can someone link/pm me the article mentioned? I've googled and searched but I can't find it! :)

We opted for a fully loaded AKV contract bc it was the right # of points, right use-year, longer contract length, and the value studio potential (already have 3 nights booked in one for November!)... but all that said, if the price was closer to BLT, I would have gone straight to BLT!

It sounds like you made the right call with what you got, though. BLT prices are also rising, just not as quickly as AKV ones. Having home resort advantage at either place offers a few advantages, but you can easily get into the other rooms at either resort at 7 months.

I agree with Kboo's assessment, that in terms of price and availability of rooms, GFV actually managed to move into the best value, as long as it is a place where you want to stay (something I personally have no real interest in).

Discussing the value of each resort is a fun discussion, but of course it is one that will forever be ongoing because different people rate the special features of each resort differently. As long as people are happy with their purchases and can afford them, good for them for buying the timeshare of their dreams.

It sounds like you made the right call with what you got, though. BLT prices are also rising, just not as quickly as AKV ones. Having home resort advantage at either place offers a few advantages, but you can easily get into the other rooms at either resort at 7 months.

I agree with Kboo's assessment, that in terms of price and availability of rooms, GFV actually managed to move into the best value, as long as it is a place where you want to stay (something I personally have no real interest in).

Discussing the value of each resort is a fun discussion, but of course it is one that will forever be ongoing because different people rate the special features of each resort differently. As long as people are happy with their purchases and can afford them, good for them for buying the timeshare of their dreams.

I'm laughing as I am imagining Robin Leatch (sp?) on lifestyles of the Rich and Famous talking about "the timeshare of your dreams." ;) Although if I really were to have a "dream" timeshare, I think it would also include BWV and Poly bungalows.

Well buying SSR for a 1 bedroom is a great strategy, if you want a 1 bedroom! Not everyone wants a studio, we wouldn’t stay in one, and once you go 1 bed it’s hard to go back. Much superior rooms and the kitchen is a great bonus. Particularly so at the example of BLT where studios are cramped, but 1 beds some of the best. Depends what you want, but not everyone buys DVC for the cheapest per points a night option, it was the flexibility of accommodation size that sold it to us, if it was just studios we wouldn’t actually have bought in.
The 1 beds compared to the studios are overpriced points wise I agree (compared to cash rates) but again I don’t mind that as it makes them less popular and makes my bookings at any resort I choose very easy to get, the SSR points were very reasonable to buy initially and the extra dues per year are a trade off I’m very happy with for superior accommodations and total flexibility of booking at 7 months.

Sure, I'm not saying anyone looking to stay in a 1bed should try to stay in a studio as a cost savings strategy. I currently need 2 studios and would definitely choose that over a 1 bedroom even if it were to cost me less points or and even if the 2 bed was a lot closer to the same points as the 2 studios. I don't want to so much as look at a stove or a washing machine while on vacation. I'll consider pouring milk on cereal. That's about as far as I'm willing to go. :laughing: Different strokes for different folks. Honestly, a 1 bedroom doesn't work for us at all right now. Maybe when just DH and I - but not for double the points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter