Aladdin live Action Disney Movie Poll / Discussion

What are your Expectations for the Aladdin Live Action Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

backybri

Brianna Bachteler
Hi everyone!

Hope you are planning to see the live action Disney Aladdin movie on May 24th in theaters.

Let's discuss here after it comes out!

I'll probably see it but the reviews coming in so far haven't been glowing. Mediocre at best. Only 61% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence about whether or not to see it. On one hand, the costumes and sets are impressive. On the other hand, in my mind, Robin Williams will always be the genie...so, there's a bit of awkwardness, there.

I mean, it looks good, but I don't really like these remakes that are so similar to the original. I think they should either do something different with it, or just not make them. Obviously it will make a ton of money, but I'd rather see more like Maleficent and Dumbo, than Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast (and Aladdin and Lion King).

I'd rather see more like Maleficent and Dumbo, than Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast (and Aladdin and Lion King).[/QUOTE]

Can't even wait for Lion King - I will be crying like a little baby in the movie theater.

I saw it last night in 3D and I must say that it was quite entertaining. When it was first announced that Will Smith was going to play Genie, there was a lot of uncertainty, but let me tell you, he was EXCELLENT. He really did make the entire film.

The visuals were superb and I'm sure they will be nominated in the costume department when the award season rolls around.

To be honest, I haven't watched the original in many, many years so I cannot compare and contrast the two like others will be able to.

At the end of "A Whole New World", I challenge you all not to instantly blurt out "Oh boy, Oh boy", because I know I sure did.... Thanks, Philharmagic!

For me personally, I'd rank this movie above Christopher Robin and Dumbo, as far as recent remakes go. Mainly because Aladdin was much more upbeat and had me laughing, versus the other two which I felt were very dark and depressing more times than not.

This one will have to wait for Disney+ for me. But I'll be seeing the Lion King in the theater for sure. BTW, does anyone else think they should have spaced these live-action remakes out a little more to build some anticipation, and let them breathe a little bit? Why are they seemingly trying to cram every single remake into one summer? (My guess: because they can...)

I had no expectations, but I went in and loved it. The animated film was one of my favorites growing up and I even liked the sequels / animated series when I was a kid.

I didn’t mind the changes and I was thoroughly entertained.

I really enjoyed it. I went in expecting to be bored watching a straight recreation of the animated film, but they really fleshed out the characters and their motivations, added a new character or two, a new song, and it all worked out really well.

It was easily the best of the “live action telling of a Disney animated feature” we’ve seen to date. Makes me look forward to the (reanimated?) Lion King even more.

We went just because we wanted to hit the movies and this was the best option for the family.

I was surprised at how much I liked it. The couple tweaks they made to the story made it more enjoyable for me than the original, and I liked the new song

Husband (who was a huge fan as a kid of the original) was expecting to be disappointed at the Genie and he was. He kept saying they should have just let Will Smith be Will Smith, but I think he did put his own spin on it. He also wishes they made Aladdin with more bravado.

The costumes I expected to be fantastic, and they totally were.

Our kids (7 and 4) both really enjoyed it, far more than some other recent "kid" movies. It must have struck the right balance of action and scary but not too scary, because they both were on the edge of their seats and clapping and scared but not so much that it overwhelmed them.

We absolutely loved it ! Smith made the part his own - he didn't try to be Robin Williams ( no one can!) - he was excellent! Naomi is stunning and "Speechless" will win an Oscar ! Only character we felt was miscast was Jafar - not evil enough - still - low expectations, but exceeded them !

We loved it! Aladdin is one of the Disney movies closest to my heart because it came out during my childhood (when I was 6), and I grew up watching it on VHS, playing with the toys, and basically being obsessed with it. So I was a little nervous coming into this movie, but I really did enjoy it. I liked that they fleshed out things and characters a bit more rather than making it a shot for shot remake, especially Jasmine, who was always my favorite character. (Side note - seeing Rajah, Abu, and especially Iago as realistic looking animals makes them so different from the cartoon!) I also loved that Will Smith made the genie his own. I was very relieved that he didn't try to copy Robin Williams' version.

I am now looking forward to The Lion King, which I was also on the fence about before. That's another childhood favorite - I was 8 when it came out - and it's very close to my heart, so I just want to see them do it justice. The trailers do look promising so far.

We absolutely loved it ! Smith made the part his own - he didn't try to be Robin Williams ( no one can!) - he was excellent! Naomi is stunning and "Speechless" will win an Oscar ! Only character we felt was miscast was Jafar - not evil enough - still - low expectations, but exceeded them !

I was surprised at the younger-looking Jafar when I saw the trailers, but seeing the film I really liked what they did with him.

He was still evil (pushed that guy down the well without a second thought, left Aladdin to die in the cave), but we got more insight into his origin, and some parallels between him and Aladdin making him serve as a character foil. That and the writers / Naomi really adding to Jasmine as a character were probably my favorite parts. Dahlia and the Genie’s relationship was a cute addition too.

We loved it! I wasn't expecting much for some reason and wasn't thrilled with the idea of Will Smith as the genie but he was hysterical! Friend Like Me was a fantastic scene, I was cracking up throughout the entire movie.

DH and I said we wished they cast Oded Fehr (from Covert Affairs/Mummy movies) as Jafar, but I thought the rest of the casting was great.

DW and I really enjoyed the movie! Aladdin is one of my favorite Disney animated films of all time, so I went in with high expectations. The music, scenery, costumes and acting were wonderful. Will Smith did a great job on adding his own spin on the Genie (definitely had some Fresh Prince of Bel-Air vibes, which I loved). My only gripe with the film was Jafar. By no means do I think that the actor did a bad job, in fact I loved the part where we learned a little of his back story and he did start to grow on me towards the end of the film. However, I prefer Jonathan Freeman as Jafar.

I had very, very low expectations but Aladdin is probably my favorite movie of all time, so I had to go.
I LOVED it. Literally.
It was so good. I am going to have to go again. I didn't expect to like it.
I didn't love Jafar either, I don't think he was creepy enough for me.
My only complaint was during Prince Ali, (not sure if this was just my theatre) it seemed like it was sped up? Not the music, but their movements and mouths. Othertimes, it felt slowed down.
However, I am a sucker for the live action movies. I loved them all expect Cinderella.

I seriously loved this movie! It obviously isn't better than the 1992 version, but I still really enjoyed it. Previously my favorite of the live action remakes was The Jungle Book but I think I enjoyed Aladdin more!

I had very, very low expectations but Aladdin is probably my favorite movie of all time, so I had to go.
I LOVED it. Literally.
It was so good. I am going to have to go again. I didn't expect to like it.
I didn't love Jafar either, I don't think he was creepy enough for me.
My only complaint was during Prince Ali, (not sure if this was just my theatre) it seemed like it was sped up? Not the music, but their movements and mouths. Othertimes, it felt slowed down.
However, I am a sucker for the live action movies. I loved them all expect Cinderella.

I noticed the speeding up several times and during a couple of the songs. I thought it was their attempt to sync the live action and lips syncing up to the music, but my DH says it's a device that Guy Ritchie uses in some of his films.

But I'm with you... I LOVED the movie!! So much fun! And Will Smith was perfect :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!