Alamo "Drive Happy" deal?

Standard is same as midsize. If you are allowed to pick your car and proceed to the aisle, You should be able to get your choice of any thing in the midsize aisle they tell you to go to, even if it's larger. No up charges. Also we were on the A side, don't know about the B being open. They work the same way either side.
Whenever we book standard at MCO, we are directed to the full size aisle, not midsize. After all, standard usually prices out higher than midsize and lower than full size when booking. I usually book through Costco.

So, normally thats been the case for all the years ive been renting from Alamo. However, with Covid they are stopping you in garage and directing you to specific car types. As I just arrived tonight in Orlando and for the first time ever was told which car I had to take. Which was a pickup truck! I had a very salty "manager" young girl argue and talked very condescending to me.
Maybe it was the heat of the late night or a bad day, she explained in a matter of fact voice it was "we pick" meaning she decided what car would be the drive happy special for the day. I was just here in Jan and that was not the case and never had. I refused the truck as I have bad knees and can't get up into one. Luckily I did have another reservation through costco for a fullsize for less $ than the drive happy. After some attitude She then relented and gave me a big jeep-again hard on the knee & larger than wanted. Mind you there were vans and a few suvs there that normally i could just take pre covid. So I would say that until Covid measures are gone you might want to just reserve what you want, or reserve two separate, 1 Drive happy and go to garage and look at choices or ask about inventory before finalizing (The garage is just outside the alamo desk) Alamo was pretty deplete of cars on this night at 9pm which is probably why i was being forced into a pickup. Though my alternate full size reservation may have been subbed for the same as well 🤔
I will go to exchange my 4 wheelin utility jeep for a practical family car when they recieve more inventory tomorrow. Best wishes on your car quest and hoping you have a good experience! I hope it all goes back to normal soon!
Yes, we rent from Alamo annually at MCO and were there in July. We usually rent mini vans but they were just way too expensive this year. The jeeps were less expensive and we thought would be fun to check out. Anyway, we went straight to the garage and there was a woman there who asked if we needed help, I said no but she insisted. So I asked where the jeeps were, hoping to get her to just point and we'd be on our way. Nope she insisted on seeing my paperwork and was "salty" about it as well. Then had to walk us over to the jeeps. Funny thing was she wasn't stopping others as they passed by us. It was about 3 pm. I was nice but frustrated as our plane had just been diverted to Tampa to refuel because we couldn't land because of storms adding 2 hours to our flight. I have never had this happen before. And it was silly to be treated that way after I told her we were very familiar with Alamo's garage. She was definitely condescending. Not good customer service. She wasn't young tho. Probably late 40's? Hope this practice goes away with Covid!

Yes, we rent from Alamo annually at MCO and were there in July. We usually rent mini vans but they were just way too expensive this year. The jeeps were less expensive and we thought would be fun to check out. Anyway, we went straight to the garage and there was a woman there who asked if we needed help, I said no but she insisted. So I asked where the jeeps were, hoping to get her to just point and we'd be on our way. Nope she insisted on seeing my paperwork and was "salty" about it as well. Then had to walk us over to the jeeps. Funny thing was she wasn't stopping others as they passed by us. It was about 3 pm. I was nice but frustrated as our plane had just been diverted to Tampa to refuel because we couldn't land because of storms adding 2 hours to our flight. I have never had this happen before. And it was silly to be treated that way after I told her we were very familiar with Alamo's garage. She was definitely condescending. Not good customer service. She wasn't young tho. Probably late 40's? Hope this practice goes away with Covid!
Sounds like our experience! It was frustrating as I know the Alamo procedure well and she didn't like me refusing the truck she said i "had" to take. And that i knew i had other solutions i could take. I was ready to go back in or vine back next day. I have a knee injury and was in pain the entire week getting up and in that jeep!. But for my kids and for time i kept it. Her name was Ashley, you know, it was late and dark and she was wearing a mask. I could have assumed she was younger lol. She said she had only been there a year and that it had been that way always..I knew better...Another mgr assistant at the national side (also alamo brand) near the jeeps was very nice. He said she was moving to sales the next week. I hope so!

Whenever we book standard at MCO, we are directed to the full size aisle, not midsize. After all, standard usually prices out higher than midsize and lower than full size when booking. I usually book through Costco.
That's usually the case. Also you can still book directly through Alamo adding the costco ID on your own then use any coupon you want to further reduce. Sometimes it pays to price it out both ways. Incidently, Alamo told me on my last visit in Jan they no longer charge for second driver in Orlando. Which was the main reason i use Costco. But might ask again next time, if there is a better deal going on outside costco with a different corporate rate out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!