Alaska cruise with little kids

Chrislovesdisney

DIS Veteran
we’re planning on cruising with extended family/older relatives, none of whom love the heat, and all of whom want to see Alaska and so we are considering booking Alaska rather than the Caribbean for summer 2020. However, our dds will be 4.5 and 7.5. We live near beaches so I don’t care if they miss the beach experience but I don’t want them to miss out on anything Disney being on the smaller ship where there’s an assumption of less kids.

- are there still plenty of princess meet and greet opportunities?
- is there a royal tea? Anything else they will be missing out on?

We did eastern Caribbean last year. Tia!

There are plenty of character interactions- princess meet and greet, frozen meet and greet, and Pixar party. My girls had plenty to do.

I don’t know about Royal Tea.

I haven't done Alaska yet, but am going this July with my 3.5 year old. Based on the reviews & reports I've read, there are tons of things for kids to do.

I've got scheduled meet & greets w/ princesses, Frozen characters, & Proncess tea. Plus a character breakfast

I don't think they exclude kids in facf, I think Alaska would make the kids area more available for kids

We were on the Wonder for the opening week of the DCL Alaska season a few years ago, when our little ones were barely 3 & 5 y.o. They had a wonderful time, as did we 4 adults with them! There was plenty for all ages to see and do!

we’re planning on cruising with extended family/older relatives, none of whom love the heat, and all of whom want to see Alaska and so we are considering booking Alaska rather than the Caribbean for summer 2020. However, our dds will be 4.5 and 7.5. We live near beaches so I don’t care if they miss the beach experience but I don’t want them to miss out on anything Disney being on the smaller ship where there’s an assumption of less kids.

We did eastern Caribbean last year. Tia!

We did an Alaska cruise in 2014 when my dd was 6 yrs old. There were just as many greetings/activities on that cruise as there are on the Fantasy, we haven't been on the Dream. We were on the Wonder again for an Eastern Caribbean this past March. My dd is now almost 10 yrs old and she had just as much fun on it as she did on the Fantasy. They do have the Royal tea and BBB on the Wonder I believe, my dd has outgrown those things, so not 100% sure. I personally like the stage shows on the Wonder a lot more than the ones on the Fantasy, Frozen is the best!!! Tiana's Place is so much fun, Tiana will come to your table during dinner, plus other fun things happen. They don't do the Crush show in AP on the Wonder, the one they do is so much better than the Crush show. The Wonder may be a smaller ship, but you won't be missing out on the Disney magic.

I've been looking into Alaska for family cruise with my side of the family. The only disadvantage I have seen with Alaska vs. some of the itineraries is there are quite a few excursions that we would be interested in doing, but my niece (who will be 3 at the time) would be too young to do. We will likely still book it and just split up on the port days as needed.

The smaller ships do not mean less "Disney". When DS was 7, we were on the Magic for 21 nights (B2B) cruises and it was as magical as any Fantasy or Dream cruise! DS actually preferred the kids club on the Magic because it wasn't as chaotic as the ones on the bigger ships.

We've done the 4 ships. I've come to prefer the smaller Magic class. DS7 says he likes the Fantasy best because we had lots of opportunities to ride the Aqua Duck. That being said, we're going to Alaska next year and he can't wait. It was actually his idea. He's looking forward to the Wonder again. The character opportunities are there for sure, the shows are better in my view (at least vs. the Fantasy - haven't seen B&B yet). The ship has a more intimate feel. Your kids are likely to see the same kids over and over, which tends to make the kids clubs more enjoyable (for those who like the the kids clubs). Have fun!

When I saw the title of your post, I was expecting your kids to be younger. We took my son to Alaska at 1.5 and there was plenty for him to do. With older kids there will be even more. There are characters, parties, shows, kids clubs, pools will be open, etc.

I've been looking into Alaska for family cruise with my side of the family. The only disadvantage I have seen with Alaska vs. some of the itineraries is there are quite a few excursions that we would be interested in doing, but my niece (who will be 3 at the time) would be too young to do. We will likely still book it and just split up on the port days as needed.

In many cases, excursions that are not available to 3 year olds through Disney can be done through private companies that will book them, almost always at a lower price.

IMO, except perhaps the White Pass railroad in Skagway (and obviously the Tracy Arm boat tour, if you want to do that), all excursions in Alaska should be done through private operators.

I just booked Alaska for September 2019! Will be with my DH, DD who will be 8, and DS who will be 5.
Can anyone recommend must do excursions? Or do families mostly watch the scenery from the ship?

Yes and yes. There is a free ticketed Princess Gathering, and Frozen Gathering.

There is also a Royal Tea, and BBB as well if you're interested. There isn't a pirate night, but instead, a Frozen the Night Away show on deck in its place, with the characters from Frozen, along with Pixar Pals Party.

In many cases, excursions that are not available to 3 year olds through Disney can be done through private companies that will book them, almost always at a lower price.

IMO, except perhaps the White Pass railroad in Skagway (and obviously the Tracy Arm boat tour, if you want to do that), all excursions in Alaska should be done through private operators.

YEs, we were looking at private companies. Even then there was an age restriction on a few that popped our interest. Though the restrictions were younger, like age 5 vs. 8 or 12 through Disney for a same or similar excursion. It isn't a huge deal for us, the group is large enough it is probably easier to spit up some. Plus my dad has been having some back issues and it is likely anything a 3 year old cant do he wouldn't be able to do either anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. My dds are princess obsessed, so I’m less concerned about overall Disney-ness (I know that will be there!) than I am about making sure there’s plenty of princesses specifically onboard. Sounds like the meet and greet, tea, frozen gathering, and tianas place will fit the bill!

YEs, we were looking at private companies. Even then there was an age restriction on a few that popped our interest. Though the restrictions were younger, like age 5 vs. 8 or 12 through Disney for a same or similar excursion. It isn't a huge deal for us, the group is large enough it is probably easier to spit up some. Plus my dad has been having some back issues and it is likely anything a 3 year old cant do he wouldn't be able to do either anyway.

We are quite protective of our kids normally, but on our previous cruises we have left 1 or more small kiddos in the clubs/nursery while we did excursions. We try to limit it to once or twice during a cruise, and not for an entire day, but we felt comfortable with the staff and did it. That is an option for the 3 year old. We have Alaska booked for next year and my DD will be 3.5 also. She will stay on the ship once or twice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter