Alaska footwear

Chrislovesdisney

DIS Veteran
So excited for our Alaska cruise in August! I’m wondering if, in the ports and onboard specifically for the summer months, we are better off with waterproof hiking shoes (sneaker styling but waterproof), rain boots (e.g. Hunter, wellies), or warm waterproof boots. We haven’t selected our excursions yet but we have two young children so the excursions won’t be too adventurous. Tia!

We wore tennis shoes on the ship and waterproof boots for excursions. We didn't do any hiking and didn't have any days of rain. My dd was 6 yrs old, so we were also limited on excursions. We live in Ohio so we get snow where we live, I didn't go out and buy anything for the trip, just our usual winter jackets/shoes. We wore t-shirts under sweatshirts and medium jackets on all excursions. Weather was in the 50s entire time, so not really cold. We went in June, so at the beginning of summer. Have a great trip, I'd love to go back now that my dd is older(we went 5 yrs ago).

we went n August, tennis shoes and hiking shoes were fine. We didn’t get much rain and what we did get didn't warrant boots. If you want to fit in with what the locals wear leave the hunters and wear xtratuf’s lol.

Alaska is like the UK, it's gonna rain. We hedged our bets and all brought comfortable waterproof walking/hiking footwear and it paid off. We even wore them about in Vancouver ahead of time for our pre-cruise visit. Of the 4 port days (if you include the glacier visit) it rained every time at least a passing shower. For reference our cruise departed 20 August. We didn't want to be walking/hiking about with wet feet so we took the plunge. Our girls still wear their boots back home on rainy days

We went early August and it poured. Running shoes for the boat, but waterproof hikers for excursions. I wore mine with smart wool socks. The decks on the ship, when wet can be slippery, so plan wisely. I will never regret bringing my waterrpoof hikers. My feet were always happy, warm and dry.

We did waterproof hiking shoes on our 8/2016 Alaska cruise. It worked out perfectly for us. Not too big to pack, kept our feet dry, and good traction for walking around on trails, etc. We also used them on our 8/2018 Baltic cruise--so glad we had them to wear in the ports--they were so comfortable on the cobblestones! I need to remember to send DD19 with hers next year when she does a semester abroad.

I always bring a good pair of walking shoe for on the ship, and my waterproof hiking shoes for getting off the ship. Even if it's in the Caribbean. Rain is rain no matter where you are and I don't like wet feet and waiting for my shoes to dry.

If I'm confident it is not going to rain I wear my walking shoes when getting off the ship. We did Alaska two years ago and got very lucky with the weather, we never got rain while in port. I have a sister and her husband that took an Alaska cruise the year before and unfortunately they got a lot of rain. We did the Norway cruise last year and while on the Pulpit Rock excursion we had steady rain all the way back to the bus.

It pays to be prepared. If you have room to pack everything.

We went late August of 2015 and it rained every day except for Tracy Arm Day. I had my dress shoes for dinner, sneakers for the ship and waterproof winter boots for excursion/ports. I didn’t bring a water resistant backpack and had to cover it with a blue recycling plastic bag I brought from home when we walked around towns. We didn’t go hiking but did the glacier dog-sledding excursion. Next time if I go again in August, I would bring waterproof hiking boots instead of winter boots as they are usually lighter. Alaska is not that cold in August from our experience. But we might just have a warmer summer that year.

Since you indicated you won't be doing anything that adventurous, waterproof hiking shoes (sneaker styling but waterproof) will be just fine. Insulated boots not needed in summer, and unless you plan on wading in a river, the rain boots aren't needed either!

Thank you all for your input! We live in NY so I have my snow boots and rain boots but it may be worthwhile to see if I could find waterproof hiking shoes in a great sale.

do you have the Sperry ones? Did you find them too hot, or ok? This is what I’m thinking about getting.

Mine are LL Bean, but I am sure the Sperry ones are similar. No, I did not think they were too hot. I also appreciated they came up over my ankles, because there were a few puddles where I think the water would’ve gotten in if I was wearing regular shoes.

I don't think you will need the boots, but bring at least 2 pairs of shoes. Just in case one gets wet and needs drying. But that time of year it normally is like a nice spring/summer day. We have been to Alaska twice in the summertime and if I remember correctly we had only 1 morning with rain.

We (DW, DD6, DS4) wore Keen Targhee Waterproof low cut hikers anytime we were off the ship whether it was walking around the towns, excursions, etc. It was one of the better decisions we made on what to bring for footwear. Not as bulky as full hikers and great traction especially on some of the boat excursions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts