Alcatraz with kids - yea or nay?

Just booked the night tour on June 2nd. My children are DS11 and DD16 and both are very excited about going. Just watch a show abut prison breaks and the escape from Alcatraz. Got the kids even more excited. Can't wait for our CA vacation to start.

OP here & back with an update. Both DD`s liked it quite a lot. DD 12 thought the section of the audio tour about the riot & guards being killed was too scary. Turned out they liked it more than I did. Would highly suggest early tour if not doing night. We were on second tour and got most of audio tour in before it started getting very crowded which kind of detracts from it. Overall, good decision to go and thanks to all who posted.

Myself, DH and DD (aged 14) were on the 11 am tour only last week and really enjoyed it :hippie:
Got some great photographs and I'd say it's a really thought provoking place to visit.
When I saw one of my work colleagues this morning she was telling me how her 10 year old son had seen the pictures and demanded a history lesson from her ;)
My name was mud :rotfl2:

I thought the most interesting display was a replica of the kitchen's knife holder. Inmates who behaved were given jobs (and I think pay) and one of them was to cook. The knife holder had specific cutouts to match the shape of each knife, and each knife rested in its own specific cutout. At the end of the day if a knife was missing, the guards would know and they could place the prison on lock down.

436158083_988f0640e7_z.jpg

Just a follow-up. We just returned from our SF trip and did the night Alcatraz tour with DS(12) and DD(17) and both had a great time. Would totally recommended having kids go

Would the night tour be too scary for a 10 year old and 13 year old? They are not good with haunted houses. Is it any scarier than the day tour?

Being that it was summer it was light most of the time. It wasn't scare at all. Mostly why the night tour is better is more informative and less crowds. The only sell a set amt of tickets and narrative on the ride over and 3 different speakers. One was on the escape attempts, closing of the cell doors and I can't remember the other one and then a movie you can attend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter