Alcohol policy: cans/splits of sparkling wine?

RedStars

DIS Veteran
I was thinking about bringing cans/splits of sparkling wine for in-room mimosas (a 750ml bottle would be a waste).

In total, 4 cans/splits equal 750ml. I was only planning to bring 4 (it's a package deal) but I also wanted to bring a bottle of red (750ml).

Does anyone have experience with this?

The policy is each adult can bring up to 2 bottles of up to 750 ml. So bring four splits would be in excess of the 2 bottle maximum.

Traveling as 2 adults able to bring on alcohol we have brought 500ml and 1L tetra packs of wine (one cruise we had 3-1 L boxes as they do not have 750ml boxes) and have never been stopped as all are usually packed into the same nap-sack one of us carries.

Technically 2-750ml bottles is what they allow and they could raise a stink our packs were 1L but we did not exceed 1.5L per adult allowed to be brought on board for our travelling party. DCL policy as written unfortunately does not mesh with how packaging can vary (especially for travelling with where an entire bottle may not wished to be consumed at once).

Truth be told we actually once mistakenly :) had 4-1L boxes (darn 750ml not available) and were not stopped . If they had questioned I would, I would have gladly have given up to be confiscated till disembarkation one of the packs to still take on 3L for the two adults travelling in our party.

I was thinking about bringing cans/splits of sparkling wine for in-room mimosas (a 750ml bottle would be a waste).

In total, 4 cans/splits equal 750ml. I was only planning to bring 4 (it's a package deal) but I also wanted to bring a bottle of red (750ml).

The official policy is 2 bottles total per adult. That being said, what you are suggesting might be allowed by whichever security person is in charge that day. But, you should be prepared to surrender 1 of the bottles to be held until after the cruise.

Could you bring three of the smaller bottles for the mimosas and then the 1 larger bottle of red?

If it looks like cans of beer in the x-ray, I'd be surprised if they stop you, especially if you have it in another bag where the label is not out for casual inspection.

I think I'll risk it; the worst that can happen is they take one can.

I agree that the policy isn't worded well.

I agree that the policy isn't worded well.
I think it's pretty clear:

Q.Are Guests allowed to bring alcoholic beverages on board the ship?

A.Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port of call. These beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/...onboard/?int_cmp=INS-intDCLtoFAQAlcoholPolicy

I think it's pretty clear:

Q.Are Guests allowed to bring alcoholic beverages on board the ship?

A.Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port of call. These beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/...onboard/?int_cmp=INS-intDCLtoFAQAlcoholPolicy
I didn't say it was unclear. I said it wasn't worded well.

I didn't say it was unclear. I said it wasn't worded well.

It is worded to say what it means. Just because it doesn't encompass how you see wine (cans) doesn't mean it's not worded well. Until they stop putting wine in bottles, it is well worded and clear.

It is worded to say what it means. Just because it doesn't encompass how you see wine (cans) doesn't mean it's not worded well. Until they stop putting wine in bottles, it is well worded and clear.

It is worded to indicate bottles, I was asking about cans.

Thank you to all the helpful replies with anecdotal experiences! :cheer2:

It is worded to indicate bottles, I was asking about cans.

Thank you to all the helpful replies with anecdotal experiences! :cheer2:

Exactly. You are allowed to bring BOTTLES of wine on board. Not cans.

Do people flaunt the rules and get away with it? Probably. But the more people who do that, the more likely they are to take away the ability to bring ANY beverages on board.

Exactly. You are allowed to bring BOTTLES of wine on board. Not cans.

Do people flaunt the rules and get away with it? Probably. But the more people who do that, the more likely they are to take away the ability to bring ANY beverages on board.
Are you trying to say that bringing cans are against the rules? I'm not trying to bend or break the rules. I asked a question because the policy didn't include cans. And I was confused if they were limiting it by ml total or bottle number.

I'm sure it was written as a guide and probably by someone who didn't know canned wine existed. They're clearly not as classy as me. Lol

Either way, I'm just going to roll with it and enjoy my last few days before my trip.
Have a nice day!

I’m curious about this as well. Mostly because I’m not a beer drinker but do enjoy my vodka coolers and assorted ciders, and would like to bring cans of that aboard instead.

Also, what about bringing your cans / bottles of your own up to the deck to enjoy? Or is it strictly for cabin/verandah consumption?

Mark

Are you trying to say that bringing cans are against the rules? I'm not trying to bend or break the rules. I asked a question because the policy didn't include cans. And I was confused if they were limiting it by ml total or bottle number.

I'm sure it was written as a guide and probably by someone who didn't know canned wine existed. They're clearly not as classy as me. Lol

Either way, I'm just going to roll with it and enjoy my last few days before my trip.
Have a nice day!

Yes. The policy is 2 750ml BOTTLES of wine or 6 bottles or cans of beer.

Not boxes of wine (which did exist when the policy was changed) or cans of wine (which I've only seen in the past year or so, so did not exist). If they had wanted to include boxes they could have. Or if they wanted to include cans, they could have changed the policy already.

But the policy is clear. 750ml bottles of wine if you're going with the wine option.

No experience with taking cans of wine aboard but since you stated the total was equal to one 750 bottle it is hard for me to imagine anyone quibbling with it. It is not like you are trying to take extra ml of wine aboard. I would just check the total ml if it were me. I've always thought splits were half bottles not quarter bottles. Have seen tiny cans of sparkling wine that are may be equivalent to 1/4 bottles.

As for the verbiage of "bottles" of wine, I would think that is simply because the vast majority of wine is packaged in bottles not cans. I can't imagine DCL cares just as it doesn't care if a guest brings can or bottles of beer as long as the oz are within the stated limits.

I’m curious about this as well. Mostly because I’m not a beer drinker but do enjoy my vodka coolers and assorted ciders, and would like to bring cans of that aboard instead.

Also, what about bringing your cans / bottles of your own up to the deck to enjoy? Or is it strictly for cabin/verandah consumption?

Mark

Vodka drinks would not be allowed. It is beer or wine only.

And yes, technically the beer or wine you bring is to be enjoyed in your cabin. I believe you can take a bottle to the dining room and pay a corkage fee if you choose to. But otherwise the alcohol you bring on board is supposed to be consumed in your cabin. (Again, plenty of people will flaunt this as "there's no way to prove where the liquid in my glass came from". But technically taking it out to enjoy (other than the bottle to an MDR and paying corkage) is against policy.)

OK fine, you've convinced me...4 full-size bottles (between DH & I) it is! This cruise is going to be lit. Lol

I'll make to sure to report back on my experience.

My wife and I were waiting on the ship near the alcohol check in in Bermuda. Talking to the crew member, about how he wasn't very busy, he mentioned that they were short on storage space, and weren't enforcing the 2 bottle wine/6 cans beer limit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!