Alex & Ani bracelets?

hellodisneysunshine

Mouseketeer
Anyone else purchased A&A bracelets from the parks? I purchased some last year and in a few months they turned completely black. And yes, I've tried every cleaning tactic imaginable. I have read about/talked to people and they all say that the silver ones last better than the gold ones, which are the ones I have. Disney costume jewelry is poor quality, but the A&A ones should not be. I have emailed the parks merchandise customer service and might be able to exchange them.

Has any one else had problems with their bracelets?

DD has two silver ones for about a year now, wears them every day and they haven't tarnished, nor has she had to do anything special to clean them. I agree that for their cost, I would expect them to hold up better than you describe.

Oh wow. I was hoping to buy one on my upcoming trip. I'm curious if other people have had this problem as well.

DD has two silver ones for about a year now, wears them every day and they haven't tarnished, nor has she had to do anything special to clean them. I agree that for their cost, I would expect them to hold up better than you describe.

That's good to hear. Like I said originally, it seems to be that the gold ones don't last and the silver do. Thanks for the info!

I only have silver ones and have had no issues with them. I do have a non-Disney one that seems to be chipping in some spots though. The only Disney one I had an issue with was the enameled Hakuna Matata one. The enameled part fell out in 2 or 3 different places so I got in contact with the Disney Store (where I purchased it) and they let me exchange it. The new one seems to be doing the same thing and I'm scared to wear it stacked with my others.

I have two gold ones for less than a year and they are starting to tarnish/turn black. It is not too bad at this point, but I am afraid to see what they will look like within the next several months. Not sure if I want to purchase any more gold bracelets on my trip beginning next week, may switch to silver.

Not sure if any of this will be of help to you but here is what they recommend for care and cleaning of their bracelets.

This jewelry was created with the utmost love and care. Follow these simple steps to help keep your jewelry look its best year after year.
Use the ALEX AND ANI polishing cloth regularly to effectively clean your jewelry.
  • Always store each piece separately, especially our expandable necklaces. The best way to store your necklaces is to hang them.
  • Apply beauty products such as perfume, hairspray or deodorant before wearing your jewelry as certain chemicals in these products may damage the finish.
  • Always remove your jewelry before swimming, bathing, doing household chores or using abrasive cleaners.
  • If your jewelry requires further cleaning, use a mild soap, water and a soft cloth. Rinse with clean water and pat dry. Never use jewelry cleaner on Trend pieces. Jewelry cleaners are too harsh and may contain abrasives. We recommend using a polishing cloth for Precious pieces.
  • Use a soft toothbrush to clean crystals if necessary.
  • Make sure your jewelry is completely dry before storing.
  • To avoid black markings either on your skin or the bangles, be sure to clean your bangles regularly. These markings are due to trapped oil and dirt in the metal and can be easily cleaned.

I gave my sister one I bought at the emporium and she has had no problems.

Not sure if any of this will be of help to you but here is what they recommend for care and cleaning of their bracelets.

This jewelry was created with the utmost love and care. Follow these simple steps to help keep your jewelry look its best year after year.
Use the ALEX AND ANI polishing cloth regularly to effectively clean your jewelry.
  • Always store each piece separately, especially our expandable necklaces. The best way to store your necklaces is to hang them.
  • Apply beauty products such as perfume, hairspray or deodorant before wearing your jewelry as certain chemicals in these products may damage the finish.
  • Always remove your jewelry before swimming, bathing, doing household chores or using abrasive cleaners.
  • If your jewelry requires further cleaning, use a mild soap, water and a soft cloth. Rinse with clean water and pat dry. Never use jewelry cleaner on Trend pieces. Jewelry cleaners are too harsh and may contain abrasives. We recommend using a polishing cloth for Precious pieces.
  • Use a soft toothbrush to clean crystals if necessary.
  • Make sure your jewelry is completely dry before storing.
  • To avoid black markings either on your skin or the bangles, be sure to clean your bangles regularly. These markings are due to trapped oil and dirt in the metal and can be easily cleaned.

I gave my sister one I bought at the emporium and she has had no problems.

Thanks, but I've done all of this. And that's why I'm wondering why I'm having problems.

I have a ton of their bracelets including several purchased at the parks and none of them have tarnished one bit at all. I don't think it's an issue with Disney but more just a natural issue that may occur with the materials due to mixing with body chemistry, elements, etc. I store them separately and never stacked together unless on my wrist. Those cleaning instructions are great for future reference!

Thanks, but I've done all of this. And that's why I'm wondering why I'm having problems.
Disney will replace them if they are badly tarnished.

My CM friend purchased an Alex & Ani at the A&A shop in Winter Park last week. Because I had read on DISboards that tarnished bracelets would be replaced, I asked and the salesperson confirmed that Alex and Ani's policy is to replace tarnished bracelets. She did advise using the polishing cloth - $6, but hopefully it keeps the bracelet from tarnishing.

I have two Disney A&A bracelets and two non-Disney (all silver). Have not had the issue you're describing. However, when I purchased one of my bracelets, the guy at the jewelry shop said to polish them with ketchup and then rinse them with dawn dish soap. I looked at him like he was crazy, but he saws the ketchup takes cleans the bracelets and the dawn will then get rid of the ketchup smell. I haven't tried it, but thought I would pass along the tip.

I have two Disney A&A bracelets and two non-Disney (all silver). Have not had the issue you're describing. However, when I purchased one of my bracelets, the guy at the jewelry shop said to polish them with ketchup and then rinse them with dawn dish soap. I looked at him like he was crazy, but he saws the ketchup takes cleans the bracelets and the dawn will then get rid of the ketchup smell. I haven't tried it, but thought I would pass along the tip.

I've tried that as well. The ketchup works because the acid in it takes away the tarnish. However, it seemed like they tarnished back quicker that way. I'm waiting on the Disney merchandise customer service to approve my exchange, so hopefully I'll be getting silver ones soon!

I have both gold and silver A&A bracelets and had noticed my gold ones starting to tarnish. I hope I can get them clean or that will make me sad to have the bracelets ruined. I do rub mine with a soft cloth after wearing and store them separately. Silver ones are fine. Guess that means I will be buying only silver ones from here on out.

I have several, have had them for many years, only one from wdw and only one silver. None have turned black and I wear them most days.

I ordered a silver one from the Disney store and it was tarnishing after a month of having it. They let me exchange it, but now I'm scared to wear the new one!

I use baking soda, a little bit of water to make a paste and use a soft toothbrush to clean on a towel and brush with vigor on all faces. After i pass under water to clean excess soda and dry with an other towel.

I have several A & A bracelets. The gold ones are all tarnished to the point of not being able to wear them. I emailed Alex & Ani and was basically told that it is normal wear and tear. I still occasionally buy the silver ones but I am very disappointed in the gold and won't buy as many of the bracelets anymore. Mine were all less than a year old.

Anyone else purchased A&A bracelets from the parks? I purchased some last year and in a few months they turned completely black. And yes, I've tried every cleaning tactic imaginable. I have read about/talked to people and they all say that the silver ones last better than the gold ones, which are the ones I have. Disney costume jewelry is poor quality, but the A&A ones should not be. I have emailed the parks merchandise customer service and might be able to exchange them.

Has any one else had problems with their bracelets?

My silver bracelets were so tarnished that they looked like brass. I put an old sock on my hand like a mitten, dampened it with warm water, then put a little dollop of Crest Pro Health toothpaste on it. I then scrubbed and rinsed my bracelets; it took about 2 minutes for each one. They look brand new!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter