All about the Autotrain

Anyone have any experiences with the roomettes?

Been on the Auto train before but first time in a roomette.

Thanks

Thanks

What in particular about them? We've done the bedroom and family room, so I'd be happy to help with sleeper car questions. My knowledge of roomettes comes from having stood in one for a few minutes, so not as good! :)

Thanks

We've done roomettes the last three or so trips and a bedroom one time. What info are you looking for? Just our experience, we prefer it to coach because it is quieter at night (less people and walking through), the beds are somewhat narrow and DH always take the top bunk. Once the beds are down, there's not a lot of storage space so we pack very light (weekend lesportsac, DH's backpack for his electronics, my laptop bag and a purse). The mattresses are fairly thin, some people bring pillows and foam toppers but that's overdoing it for us. The pillows aren't great, but you get two so I use both. This upcoming trip in Oct/Nov we're in a bedroom going and a roomette returning. Returning isn't as big of a deal because we live 45 min from Lorton so if we don't sleep much we don't have far to go to get home. That said, a roomette is still better than coach for us as it's just the two of us going. Any specific questions? I'll be checking here later but I'm at work right now so I won't be on for a while.

We've done roomettes the last three or so trips and a bedroom one time. What info are you looking for? Just our experience, we prefer it to coach because it is quieter at night (less people and walking through), the beds are somewhat narrow and DH always take the top bunk. Once the beds are down, there's not a lot of storage space so we pack very light (weekend lesportsac, DH's backpack for his electronics, my laptop bag and a purse). The mattresses are fairly thin, some people bring pillows and foam toppers but that's overdoing it for us. The pillows aren't great, but you get two so I use both. This upcoming trip in Oct/Nov we're in a bedroom going and a roomette returning. Returning isn't as big of a deal because we live 45 min from Lorton so if we don't sleep much we don't have far to go to get home. That said, a roomette is still better than coach for us as it's just the two of us going. Any specific questions? I'll be checking here later but I'm at work right now so I won't be on for a while.

Thanks for your responses!!
Do they provide water and coffee in the sleeper car?
Also do you tip the attendant?
Glad to hear it is quitter than coach one of the main reasons we booked the roomette.

Glad to hear it is quitter than coach one of the main reasons we booked the roomette.

Yes, there are bottles of water in each room and a dispenser with cups and there is coffee available the entire trip in each sleeper car, as well as hot water, tea bags and hot chocolate mix. There is also coffee and water in the lounge car. Yes, we always tip the attendant.

Dinner and breakfast are also included in the price for sleeper car rooms. :)

2 weeks till we are back on board the AT for our 12th annual WDW vacation. We have traveled in all types of accomadations over the years. We have also traveled with children as young as 13 months old all the way through teenagers. We are excited to be riding . We consider the AT not just a mode of transportation but part of our vacation. I'd be happy to answer an questions you may have about the AT.

2 weeks till we are back on board the AT for our 12th annual WDW vacation. We have traveled in all types of accomadations over the years. We have also traveled with children as young as 13 months old all the way through teenagers. We are excited to be riding . We consider the AT not just a mode of transportation but part of our vacation. I'd be happy to answer an questions you may have about the AT.

Yes, we too consider it part of the vacation (I do anyway as DH would just as soon fly but I hate flying). I love the train. This upcoming trip will be our 7th round trip on the AT starting in 2005. We've also done coach, roomette and bedroom. Only thing we haven't done is travel with children as ours are grown and haven't traveled with us on the train. It's the only (with the exception of Acela first class) Amtrak train that includes meals. They also show a movie in the lounge car which we've never done as we bring our own. We have said we will never do coach again. I look almost as forward to the train as I do to the b2b cruises we're doing and our 5 days at WDW. There are several posters on this thread who feel the same way. We've also done probably at least 10 round trips on the NE regional to NYC.

We've traveled the AT 3 times now. We've always done coach, last time home with snowbirds and will never do that again! I was talking to a gentleman in the lounge and he had a roomette. He said he couldn't imagine anyone who was claustrophobic being able to do manage it.

So for those who use the roomettes, do you feel the same way?

Yes, there are bottles of water in each room and a dispenser with cups and there is coffee available the entire trip in each sleeper car, as well as hot water, tea bags and hot chocolate mix. There is also coffee and water in the lounge car. Yes, we always tip the attendant.

Can you get more than one bottle per person if requested (I drink a lot of water)?

We are booked to do a roomette in December -- but not on the auto train. We are going from Philadelphia to Palatka, FL to visit St. Augustine. We're looking at it as a great adventure. I watched a bunch of You Tube videos and tutorials and am prepared for the cramped space and the non-privacy toilet LOL. My Mom and I took trains from Miami to Rhode Island to visit my grandparents and I have fond memories of those trips. Of course, the sleeper cars were much different then!

Never felt claustrophobic in a roomette, but prefer the bedroom for space and bathroom. We leave the door at least cracked unless we're sleeping or changing clothes while we're in the roomette. As for water, we've never asked for more and you can get cups of water from dispensers. You can also bring your own. I always bring snacks (high protein to hold me) and wine. Sigh, miss the days when there was wine tasting in the sleeper lounge and wine served with dinner.

Thanks

I've done a roomette twice. Once alone and once sharing with my son (both were a few years ago)
my opinions .....

1) a roomette for a single is great as it affords you some degree of privacy at night ... you can stretch out. When I shared one with my son, both 6 footers, we were crowded in the chairs..... when they lower the second bunk the 'room' is comically small. See the pictures of old Pullman sleepers opening to a center aisle ... you're not much better off

2) the train 'consist' aka the way the train is put together flips between the northbound and southbound routes. When you are close to the engine you hear the horn go off every 39.7 seconds ..... if you are a light sleeper ... 'forgetaboutit'

3) Both times I had a roomette the a/c was very weak ...... the trips were mid summer and especially at night I found the temp uncomfortable

4) found the shower convenient and clean over all ..... water closet was airline like .....

(both my AT trips were to move 'classic cars')

We're taking the AT for the first time in less than 3 weeks. We are driving from NJ and I want to leave plenty of time to get there. Is there a place to stop for lunch close by the station in Lorton?

We're taking the AT for the first time in less than 3 weeks. We are driving from NJ and I want to leave plenty of time to get there. Is there a place to stop for lunch close by the station in Lorton?
Yes, we usually check in at the AT, but not the car yet. There is a Plaza super close down the street. There is a sports restaurant, typical to 99s, applebees, etc with sports tvs all over. We eat lunch, then go in the grocery store for snacks for train.

You can check in as early as 8:30am once the station is open. Just drive by the entrance booth, stay left and park in one of the marked spaces. Then go in to the ticket counter to check in and reserve your dining time. Then you can go back to your car and return around 1:30pm or so.

Like the previous poster mentiioned, there is a small strip mall as you pull out of the station and make a left then a quick right. The restaurant is like a Fridays/Chili's type of place called Glory Days. There are video games for the kids as well. You can also go to the supermarket next door and grab some last minute snacks etc for the ride.

Instead of turning right in to the strip mall you can go a little further and make the right at the next light. About 200 yards there will be another light. Turn left and there is another strip mall with a Ihop restaurant and other stores.

Alternatively, get back on 95 south and go one exit. There is a massive shopping mall there (although I feel a little uncomfortable leaving my car parked with everything in it).

Last edited:
Yes, we usually check in at the AT, but not the car yet. There is a Plaza super close down the street. There is a sports restaurant, typical to 99s, applebees, etc with sports tvs all over. We eat lunch, then go in the grocery store for snacks for train.

You can check in as early as 8:30am once the station is open. Just drive by the entrance booth, stay left and park in one of the marked spaces. Then go in to the ticket counter to check in and reserve your dining time. Then you can go back to your car and return around 1:30pm or so.

Like the previous poster mentiioned, there is a small strip mall as you pull out of the station and make a left then a quick right. The restaurant is like a Fridays/Chili's type of place called Glory Days. There are video games for the kids as well. You can also go to the supermarket next door and grab some last minute snacks etc for the ride.

Instead of turning right in to the strip mall you can go a little further and make the right at the next light. About 200 yards there will be another light. Turn left and there is another strip mall with a Ihop restaurant and other stores.

Alternatively, get back on 95 south and go one exit. There is a massive shopping mall there (although I feel a little uncomfortable leaving my car parked with everything in it).

This is terrific information and will come in handy if we do this next year. Thanks so much for the tip about checking yourself in, but not your car right away. Never thought of that.

This is terrific information and will come in handy if we do this next year. Thanks so much for the tip about checking yourself in, but not your car right away. Never thought of that.

No problem for a fellow Red Sox Fan!

D.C. Area person here who uses the AutoTrain a lot.

Mid December 'shouldn't' have much snow but as PP said, check the weather. I'm about 45 minutes away from Lorton, VA and our school district will shut down for just 1-3 inches of snow. Also, we are in the border of storms means many times we get the slick ice that just melts and refreezes and causes unsafe conditions.

I'm from PA but agree that people in this transitory area do not know how to drive in snow...and personally, I don't like it either. Imho, many drivers think they can still go 60+mph until they hit ice and cause accidents which cause huge backups. Then there are the others who only Drive 5mph and cause huge backups.

So, yes, check out the weather. If any chance of a storm, plan to be in Lorton the night before. If weather is fine, then just get up early and drive early to Lorton.

We like to get to train station no later than 1pm ... this gets us the early, 5pm, dinner time which works better for our kids. The 7pm seems to be the most popular, and if we had to wait until 9pm service, we'd have miserable kids and adults waited no that long to eat.

HTH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter