All about the Autotrain

We're taking the auto train in October with our adult son who uses a power wheel chair (no special medical needs).

In VA boarding begins at 11:30 am and "last call" is 2 to 2:30 pm.

Arrival in Sanford, FL is 9 am the next day. I've heard unloading can take as long as two hours.

There can be delays. A few years ago my daughter in law's family encountered a six hour delay somewhere in North or South Carolina. The regular trains have priority over the auto train.

There are a few auto train videos on YouTube that will give you more information.

We did not get a sleeper car. My son's wheelchair seat raises and reclines, he'll be able to spend the night sleeping in the wheel chair. He'll probably be more comfortable than my wife and I in the regular seats.

There is one "open" area on the bottom level of each sleeper car that they use for folks in wheelchairs. You can't reserve these spots, it's first come first served.

Boarding does not start at 1130. Cars are accepted to be loaded then, but actual boarding starts at 2:00 or so. The train is scheduled to leave at 4, but in all our trips (7 roundtrip so far) we have always left by 3:45.

Yes, the train can be delayed. We've never been delayed more than 5 hours, but there have been delays of 12 hours or more (rare) in the past. Our last trip down to FL, we didn't arrive in Sanford until after noon, due to two issues we encountered. There are very rare instances where the train is even later.

There are sleepers for handicapped on the lower level of each sleeper car (1 per car). I'm not sure what you mean by an "open" area on the bottom level for a wheelchair. ETA, I just looked at the layout and I see where the coach seats are there is open space, so that's probably what you're referring to. The bottom level has bathrooms, family bedroom, some roomettes, handicapped bedroom, and shower room as well as the entrance/exit for the car. The lower level of the coach cars have coach seats and bathrooms. Those in wheelchairs and have mobility issues are told to reserve seats/rooms on the lower level as the only way upstairs is a narrow winding stairwell. The only way between cars is the upper level.

Unloading time for cars really depends on how many cars are on the train. It can vary a lot, but we've never had our car faster than about an hour after arrival. You can pay for priority unloading, but there are a limited number available and they sell out pretty quickly.

Each seat has an outlet (two against the window for every two seats). Each sleeper car has at least one outlet. I don't know about plugging medical equipment in.

Yes, they will bring your dinner to you if you let them know once you are onboard. Your car attendant is the person to ask.

Here's a link to a page that shows the layout of the cars (sleeper and coach). Ignore the transition sleeper as the Auto Train doesn't use those. Just the Deluxe sleeper, sleeper and coach as well as dining and lounge cars. http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

Last edited:
We've done about 6 trips but I can only help with a couple of your questions.
Everyone boards about the same time, but they do board by groups/cars. So likely you would board first.
It can take awhile or be quick when you arrive depending. For example if it's early, which it has a couple of times, you have to wait for the station to open. Disboarding (see what I did there, lol) is also by groups, so likely you get off train earlier. Priority is about the vehicle, so how long you wait in the train station to get your vehicle.
I've had the train run early arrival to destination, very late, usually due to storms on the route, and on time.

Thank you everyone! This is super helpful.

Can someone describe the loading and unloading process to me? Where are you during that time? For how long?

Also, if anyone has traveled in the accessible bedroom, or with oxygen or other medical equipment, I'd love to hear about that experience.

Thank you everyone! This is super helpful.

Can someone describe the loading and unloading process to me? Where are you during that time? For how long?

Also, if anyone has traveled in the accessible bedroom, or with oxygen or other medical equipment, I'd love to hear about that experience.

Just traveled in April with my husband who is on oxygen and sleeps with a bi-pap. Prior to loading they have you in an air conditioned waiting area. There is a little store to grab snacks. Our train was not full so plenty of room to spread out. We sat outside in a seating area for a while which was nice. When we checked in they asked if we needed help with boarding probably because I had DH in one of the wheelchairs they have in the station (they have people who can help with loading if you need it). The woman said she would note our reservation and car for assistance. DH can walk a short distance and was able to walk up the stairs to get to our room. I like having the bedroom for the private bathroom for DH and having the room for all his equipment to spread out. The bi-pap has a reserve battery which we haven’t had to use but they have advised us every time we take the train that there could be a short time where the train has to shut off and have no power to the rooms. We haven’t experience this but they do warn you it can happen. DH can use his portable oxygen concentrator with his bi-pap at night so I don’t drag the huge concentrator on the train. There are enough outlets in the bedroom for both machines to be plugged in and my phone and iPad to charge. We haven’t used the accessible rooms. When you get down to Sanford they unload by train cars. I was told we could have someone help with getting off the train if we needed. I just needed a wheelchair for DH when we got off and I told them when we checked in for departure. When we got there, there was a chair right at the exit of our train car. You can wait for your vehicle inside the air conditioned area for your car number to be called (forgot to mention you’re given a number when you check your vehicle in so don’t loose it). Because the woman had marked our reservation/car for assistance our car was brought next to the covered area which was great because we needed a little extra time to load DH and our stuff back in the car. Otherwise it would have been brought to a loading area which seems more rushed to me. I’ll try answer any other questions if you have any.

Our trip isn't until October, but I've seen a YouTube video of the loading process. An attendant opens and lowers a platform. Drive the wheelchair on the platform. Then the platform is raised up and the wheel chair user drives in to the car.

We are also going to Disney on the Auto Train in October(12). I'm travelling with my wife, 3 year old daughter and 10 month old son. We have a Family bedroom. Has anyone done the Family bedroom before? It's hard to find good photos/videos of what the family bedroom looks like. Also we got a good rate on the way down and what seems to be a normal rate on the way back. Has anyone ever tried to get a better price after they booked?

We are also going to Disney on the Auto Train in October(12). I'm travelling with my wife, 3 year old daughter and 10 month old son. We have a Family bedroom. Has anyone done the Family bedroom before? It's hard to find good photos/videos of what the family bedroom looks like.
I posted couple pics some pages ago, quoted below.

I'd urge you to think very hard about whether or not the auto train is right for you. I can't imagine a baby sleeping on the train...there's just so much random movement. My family did not enjoy our first experience. It took two more trys of me going on the train alone (with my wife flying home with our two kids) to get somewhat used to the motion.
We had a family bedroom with 2 kids, who were 4 and 9 at the time:

View attachment 280966View attachment 280967

The top bunks are too narrow for more than one person. One of the lower bunks might fit a second person, if those people were okay touching/cuddling. It'll be very tight in bed.

My boy was probably between 40 and 44 inches back on that trip.

The space will be fine for seating.

We are also going to Disney on the Auto Train in October(12). I'm travelling with my wife, 3 year old daughter and 10 month old son. We have a Family bedroom. Has anyone done the Family bedroom before? It's hard to find good photos/videos of what the family bedroom looks like. Also we got a good rate on the way down and what seems to be a normal rate on the way back. Has anyone ever tried to get a better price after they booked?
We didn't have the family bedroom, we had a bedroom suite (I think they called it), which is 2 of the bedrooms side by side with a door opened between them. So I cannot comment specifically on the exact sleeper type you mentioned. However, what I can comment on is taking a baby. We took the auto train twice, the first time our twin boys were 6 months old and the second time they were 16 months old (we also have 2 older boys, who were 5 and 8 the second trip). We didn't have any problems taking them at all, and both times had great experiences. The only thing was when they were 6 months old we took their baby bjorn bouncers, thinking they could sit in them on the floor an maybe sleep in them, and found out that because of the train movement it bounced them like crazy and we couldn't leave them in them without us directly making sure they didn't bounce much! I did get a couple of amusing videos of them bouncing before we took them out, though :-) . I personally love sleeping on the train (in a sleeper), the movement is like being lulled to sleep, and everyone else in the family did well also.

IIRC the family bedroom compared to the bedroom suite just doesn't have a bathroom/shower in it and is configured a little differently than a regular bedroom, but like I said I haven't been in one myself. I can sympathize, I remember before our first trip I seemed to have a hard time finding info on the bedroom suite, and not really being able to picture it until I saw it myself. We loved the autotrain, and considered it an extension of our trip instead of just a way to get to Disney.

Just traveled in April with my husband who is on oxygen and sleeps with a bi-pap. Prior to loading they have you in an air conditioned waiting area. There is a little store to grab snacks. Our train was not full so plenty of room to spread out. We sat outside in a seating area for a while which was nice. When we checked in they asked if we needed help with boarding probably because I had DH in one of the wheelchairs they have in the station (they have people who can help with loading if you need it). The woman said she would note our reservation and car for assistance. DH can walk a short distance and was able to walk up the stairs to get to our room. I like having the bedroom for the private bathroom for DH and having the room for all his equipment to spread out. The bi-pap has a reserve battery which we haven’t had to use but they have advised us every time we take the train that there could be a short time where the train has to shut off and have no power to the rooms. We haven’t experience this but they do warn you it can happen. DH can use his portable oxygen concentrator with his bi-pap at night so I don’t drag the huge concentrator on the train. There are enough outlets in the bedroom for both machines to be plugged in and my phone and iPad to charge. We haven’t used the accessible rooms. When you get down to Sanford they unload by train cars. I was told we could have someone help with getting off the train if we needed. I just needed a wheelchair for DH when we got off and I told them when we checked in for departure. When we got there, there was a chair right at the exit of our train car. You can wait for your vehicle inside the air conditioned area for your car number to be called (forgot to mention you’re given a number when you check your vehicle in so don’t loose it). Because the woman had marked our reservation/car for assistance our car was brought next to the covered area which was great because we needed a little extra time to load DH and our stuff back in the car. Otherwise it would have been brought to a loading area which seems more rushed to me. I’ll try answer any other questions if you have any.

Thank you! This is sooo helpful!

My biggest worry is the oxygen. My kid can use a stationary oxygen concentrator (weighs about 20 lbs, and needs to be plugged in) or tank oxygen, but not a portable one. Amtrak allows six tanks, which lasts him about 8 hours. Amtrak also requires that passengers have 4 hours worth of oxygen for an emergency, so I am trying to figure out if the remaining 4 hours are enough to handle the boarding and unloading process, and any driving on either end.

In both directions, we should be able to switch out or refill oxygen tanks until very close to arriving at the station, but on the other end we will need to drive some distance.

Do you have any thoughts on timing? I know that the ability to recharge makes the POC different.

We do have some flexibility, in that we'll probably meet other family members in FL, so we can probably figure out a way to have them bring tanked oxygen to meet the train or something like that.

Last edited:
Sorry for all the questions, but I have another!

If we take this trip, it will definitely be myself, my husband, and my son with the medical needs on the train.

I think the accessible bedroom only sleeps 2, so one adult would need to buy a seat elsewhere, probably in coach for budgetary reasons. But we'd need the adults to be able to switch off in the night, and to both be there for boarding, departure, any emergencies, and ideally just to hang out together. If they'd let the second adult sleep in the bottom bunk with our son, that might be ideal.

Does anyone know how easy it is to move back and forth between coach and the sleeper car.

Does anyone know how easy it is to move back and forth between coach and the sleeper car.

There is a sign at the entrance to the sleeper car that you must be ticketed in the sleeper to enter the car.
We saw a car attendant give a young woman the boot back to coach who was wandering through the sleeper car.

The bottom bunk in the accessible room was wider than the top bunk and may fit an adult and child. Try calling Amtrak directly to book.

There is a sign at the entrance to the sleeper car that you must be ticketed in the sleeper to enter the car.
We saw a car attendant give a young woman the boot back to coach who was wandering through the sleeper car.

The bottom bunk in the accessible room was wider than the top bunk and may fit an adult and child. Try calling Amtrak directly to book.

We would need to book over the phone, because of the oxygen, but we're no where close to ready to do that. I will probably call and ask questions though.

If we take this trip, it will because my child makes it his wish with Make a Wish. At this point, I don't think he'd make that wish, because he doesn't know it's possible. Before I suggest it as one of the things he might wish for, I'd like to have a sense of whether it's something we could safely do. He's had enough disappointment in his life that he doesn't need his mom telling him "There's this amazing resort in Florida where you can go see Cape Canaveral and Harry Potter World, and feed a dolphin, and meet Mickey." and then later telling him "Just kidding, we can't get you there." So, I'm asking a million questions before I bring it up.

If there are doors and passageways between the cars that are unlocked, but just have signs, I'm not particularly worried about the signs. I figure any attendant with half a heart is going to respond differently to someone saying "I wanted to see what it looked like" and "We're on a Make a Wish trip, and my child needs a lot of attention in the night. I'm switching places with my husband so he can get some sleep. Here is my child's ticket showing that he's booked in the accessible bedroom."

Our trip isn't until October, but I've seen a YouTube video of the loading process. An attendant opens and lowers a platform. Drive the wheelchair on the platform. Then the platform is raised up and the wheel chair user drives in to the car.

I've never seen that on the Auto Train because they don't do that and the lower level of the train is at the level of the platform. I have seen wheel chairs being rolled on, but there's no need to lift and the train cars don't have platforms like buses do.

The video you saw is the one I just found and it's not for the Auto Train. That was a standard one level train Viewliner car which has a higher entrance level and requires steps or a lift, not the Superliner's that they use for the AT. Any video you search for can't just be for any Amtrak train. Just like if you search for a roomette on Amtrak you'll get two different ones. The Viewliner roomettes have their own toilet and sink (hidden) and the Superliner does not.

Thank you! This is sooo helpful!

My biggest worry is the oxygen. My kid can use a stationary oxygen concentrator (weighs about 20 lbs, and needs to be plugged in) or tank oxygen, but not a portable one. Amtrak allows six tanks, which lasts him about 8 hours. Amtrak also requires that passengers have 4 hours worth of oxygen for an emergency, so I am trying to figure out if the remaining 4 hours are enough to handle the boarding and unloading process, and any driving on either end.

In both directions, we should be able to switch out or refill oxygen tanks until very close to arriving at the station, but on the other end we will need to drive some distance.

Do you have any thoughts on timing? I know that the ability to recharge makes the POC different.

We do have some flexibility, in that we'll probably meet other family members in FL, so we can probably figure out a way to have them bring tanked oxygen to meet the train or something like that.

The tanks will last him 8 hours total? The train trip is 17.5 hours when it's on time. So, as long as you don't sit for any length of time with no power you can use the oxygen concentrator.

Last edited:
I've never seen that on the Auto Train because they don't do that and the lower level of the train is at the level of the platform. I have seen wheel chairs being rolled on, but there's no need to lift and the train cars don't have platforms like buses do. The video you saw is the one I just found and it's not for the Auto Train.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. We watched this video several months ago and I was pretty sure it was for Auto Train, but I guess that was wrong.

Nice that the platform and lower level of the train are on the same level, that'll make boarding much easier and faster.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. We watched this video several months ago and I was pretty sure it was for Auto Train, but I guess that was wrong.

Nice that the platform and lower level of the train are on the same level, that'll make boarding much easier and faster.
This one is pretty clearly from the auto Train:

The tanks will last him 8 hours total? The train trip is 17.5 hours when it's on time. So, as long as you don't sit for any length of time with no power you can use the oxygen concentrator.

Exactly. They ask that you have 4 hours worth of oxygen, I assume so that if the train breaks down, or the electricity goes out, they've got 4 hours to either fix it or arrange a rescue.

But that 4 hours doesn't include checking out of wherever we're staying, driving to the train station, waiting to board, waiting for the car to come off the train, and driving to the resort and checking in (on the way down), or driving to a friend's house who has let us store oxygen for the ride home (on the way back). So, while 4 hours sounds like a lot, it can get used up fast. My understanding is that Make A Wish will help if need be, e.g. by sending volunteers to the train station with tanks, so I'm trying to get a sense of what we'd need to problem solve.

This one is pretty clearly from the auto Train:

That's awesome, thank you!

I'm not really worried about the actual getting on the train. They get adults in power chairs onto the train, a small child in a manual chair should be a piece of cake for them. If need be, one of us carries him and one lifts the chair. What I worry about the process, how long are you waiting, is there disability preboarding, are there outlets where you wait, etc . . .?

What I worry about the process, how long are you waiting, is there disability preboarding, are there outlets where you wait, etc . . .?
Gotcha.

Here's the process: as you drive up to the AT station, you'll partially check-in at a drive through like kiosk. You have to check in your car before 2:30.....they recommend 2 PM and won't check-in any after 2:30. The only reason to get in early is if you care about you dinner seating assignment or if you're in coach and want a particular seat assignment.

At the drive-up kiosk they will check your reservation and assign your car a number, and put a big magnet with a number on the side of your car.
Amtrak%20Auto%20Train%2005-03-04-2009-0248-L.jpg

You'll then drive up to the covered loading zone and remove from your car the things you want with you on the train. You can take your time here. an attendant will take your car for loading when you're done.

Amtrak%20Auto%20Train%2005-03-04-2009-0720-L.jpg

There aren't Red Caps here, but there are many luggage carts.

You then have to go inside and check-in with the station agents.
sanfordauto4.jpg

There you will select a dining time and they will confirm your room assignment. I recall you'd like to eat in your room. You'll have to discuss that with your train car attendant. I think the attendants are required to bring meals to disabled rooms upon request, but Amtrak staff varies, and you never know if someone will give you pushback. With a child in wheelchair, it would probably have to be the worst attendant ever if they resisted. These attendants work for tips, so I doubt there will be any issues.

After checking in, you sit and wait until boarding is called. There are probably some outlets around, but many of the seats are in the middle of the room so you might have to hunt.
newsroom-featured-1.jpg

Boarding can be as early 2:30, or it could be a while if the arriving train was late. There's no way of knowing this until you arrive.

I think they offer preboarding, but its not really necessary. Its not like an airplane where your fighting for overhead space...everybody in a sleeper car has their own room, so that's where their carry-on luggage goes. There's a little bit of storage in the lower level of the car, but the attendants mostly use that. If you need to use some of that, I'm sure an attendant would assist you.

Also, you don't have to rush to board. Boarding can take 20-30 minutes, and after that they still have to 'put the train together'. You may have noticed train cars on both sides of the walkway on the track, that's because they split the train in two upon arrival. Note that there's a brief power loss during this period when they're combining and splitting the train. Maybe 5-15 minutes.

So You could easily wait for everybody to board, then go out to the tracks and board at your leisure, and then there's still about an hour of work they have to do before the train actually departs at 4.

Oh my goodness, this is enormously helpful! Thank you so much!

I'm putting some comments in blue below.

Gotcha.

Here's the process: as you drive up to the AT station, you'll partially check-in at a drive through like kiosk. You have to check in your car before 2:30.....they recommend 2 PM and won't check-in any after 2:30. The only reason to get in early is if you care about you dinner seating assignment or if you're in coach and want a particular seat assignment.

I guess one question I need to ask when I call is whether everyone has to be there for check in. Because on one hand, we'd need an early dinner reservation, and we'd want whichever parent is in coach to be in a close by car. However, getting there early is a problem oxygen wise. But if one parent could get there at 1:00, and the other parent could stay at the hotel and arrive with kid by Uber 20 minutes before boarding, that would make an enormous difference in the timing.

At the drive-up kiosk they will check your reservation and assign your car a number, and put a big magnet with a number on the side of your car.

You'll then drive up to the covered loading zone and remove from your car the things you want with you on the train. You can take your time here. an attendant will take your car for loading when you're done.

There aren't Red Caps here, but there are many luggage carts.

You then have to go inside and check-in with the station agents.

There you will select a dining time and they will confirm your room assignment. I recall you'd like to eat in your room. You'll have to discuss that with your train car attendant. I think the attendants are required to bring meals to disabled rooms upon request, but Amtrak staff varies, and you never know if someone will give you pushback. With a child in wheelchair, it would probably have to be the worst attendant ever if they resisted. These attendants work for tips, so I doubt there will be any issues.

From the maps, it looks like the only way to move from car to car is on the second floor, which is only accessible by stairs. On the first floor, it looks like one end of each sleeper car is blocked off by the family bedroom, so they must plan on bringing meals to all wheelchair passengers.

After checking in, you sit and wait until boarding is called. There are probably some outlets around, but many of the seats are in the middle of the room so you might have to hunt.

I will definitely ask about outlets, or alternate waiting spaces, because we'd need that.

Boarding can be as early 2:30, or it could be a while if the arriving train was late. There's no way of knowing this until you arrive.

I think they offer preboarding, but its not really necessary. Its not like an airplane where your fighting for overhead space...everybody in a sleeper car has their own room, so that's where their carry-on luggage goes. There's a little bit of storage in the lower level of the car, but the attendants mostly use that. If you need to use some of that, I'm sure an attendant would assist you.

We would be boarding with a lot of stuff, the concentrator, other pieces of medical equipment, the chair, 6 tanks of oxygen . . . But I know of other families with even greater equipment needs who have done it, so I assume there is a solution there.

Also, you don't have to rush to board. Boarding can take 20-30 minutes, and after that they still have to 'put the train together'. You may have noticed train cars on both sides of the walkway on the track, that's because they split the train in two upon arrival. Note that there's a brief power loss during this period when they're combining and splitting the train. Maybe 5-15 minutes.

So You could easily wait for everybody to board, then go out to the tracks and board at your leisure, and then there's still about an hour of work they have to do before the train actually departs at 4.

Thanks again! This is super helpful, and gives me a sense of exactly what to ask when I call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter