All about the Autotrain

Oh my goodness, this is enormously helpful! Thank you so much!

I'm putting some comments in blue below.

Dinner is separate for coach and sleepers. They each have their own dining car so you might want to ask if it's possible to eat together. Most of the pictures GrnMtnMan posted are from Sanford in particular the waiting area and entrance as well as the check in area. Lorton is very similar and the pic of the cars sitting under the canopy are from there. There are scattered outlets throughout the waiting area. the Lorton one is larger. I'm pretty sure you can board first. I haven't paid attention the last couple of trips, but they used to board those in wheelchairs first.

If there are doors and passageways between the cars that are unlocked, but just have signs, I'm not particularly worried about the signs. I figure any attendant with half a heart is going to respond differently to someone saying "I wanted to see what it looked like" and "We're on a Make a Wish trip, and my child needs a lot of attention in the night. I'm switching places with my husband so he can get some sleep. Here is my child's ticket showing that he's booked in the accessible bedroom."

I'd definitely call and ask about this. I don't think it has anything to do with an attendant having a heart. If this rule is due to safety, which I imagine it is, they may not have the option of letting you in unless it's been worked out ahead of time. I imagine they certainly can work out ahead of time, though. :) Best of luck!

Dinner is separate for coach and sleepers. They each have their own dining car so you might want to ask if it's possible to eat together. Most of the pictures GrnMtnMan posted are from Sanford in particular the waiting area and entrance as well as the check in area. Lorton is very similar and the pic of the cars sitting under the canopy are from there. There are scattered outlets throughout the waiting area. the Lorton one is larger. I'm pretty sure you can board first. I haven't paid attention the last couple of trips, but they used to board those in wheelchairs first.

I don't think we can eat in the dining room at all, because I don't see how we'd get him there. Maybe there's some accessible route between cars that I'm missing? So, at least one parent and kid would have to order the food delivered to the room. If they let us move between cars, the other parent could come and keep us company, and eat something from home, or more likely we'd feed kid something we brought, and the other parent could just eat his meal. So, the question would be whether they'd let other parent come to the car. I'll ask that when I call. If the answer is no, it would probably be a deal breaker. Hopefully, they'd just let us all ride together in the bedroom, and the coach seat would go unused altogether.

This is really helpful in that it lets me build up my list of questions. I'm one of those people who kind of hates talking on the phone, so I'm trying to build up a list so I just have to call once.

I'd definitely call and ask about this. I don't think it has anything to do with an attendant having a heart. If this rule is due to safety, which I imagine it is, they may not have the option of letting you in unless it's been worked out ahead of time. I imagine they certainly can work out ahead of time, though. :) Best of luck!

I will add that to the list to ask.

You have read this page, I assume, but if not, here it is. https://www.amtrak.com/accessible-travel-oxygen-equipment

And this: https://www.oxygenconcentratorstore...amtrak-and-your-portable-oxygen-concentrator/

Last edited:

Thank you! I did find both of those. The first is super helpful, the second doesn’t apply to us now, but there is a possibility that either his flow rate could improve or a portable concentrator could come on the market with a higher flow rate. That would be a game changer for him, because we’d have the ability to recharge batteries. It would also make flying a possibility.

I don't think we can eat in the dining room at all, because I don't see how we'd get him there. Maybe there's some accessible route between cars that I'm missing?
There is **not** an accessible route between cars. Your understanding was correct that you can only go between cars on the upper level, and the only way up to the upper level is through steep narrow stairs.
So, at least one parent and kid would have to order the food delivered to the room. If they let us move between cars, the other parent could come and keep us company, and eat something from home, or more likely we'd feed kid something we brought, and the other parent could just eat his meal. So, the question would be whether they'd let other parent come to the car. I'll ask that when I call. If the answer is no, it would probably be a deal breaker. Hopefully, they'd just let us all ride together in the bedroom, and the coach seat would go unused altogether.

This is really helpful in that it lets me build up my list of questions. I'm one of those people who kind of hates talking on the phone, so I'm trying to build up a list so I just have to call once.
I don’t think there will be any issue walking between cars. I’ve done so before, walking into coach and back from the sleepers. so long as you know your car and room number, you shouldn't have any problems with an attendant.

I am concerned your not going to get the answers you want when you call. Remember, Amtrak is a government entity, and the phone people are not going to promise anything that varies from policy.

The on-board attendants are another matter. I suspect most would have no problem, after seeing your situation, letting a second adult/third person at least sit in the room.

On the other hand, you might be asking a bit too much by asking to have a coach passenger occupy a sleeping car. They might have rules about the total number of passengers in the sleeping car, and your extra/non-sleeper passenger puts them over a safety limit. The solution to this is for you to buy a roomette....there are some on the same lower level as the accessible bedroom.

Does you son absolutely have to sit in his wheelchair during the trip? Could you book a family bedroom or regular bedroom, both of which allow for 3+ occupants? The regular bedroom has its own bathroom, but its on the upper level. The family bedroom is on the lower level, but it does not have a bathroom. I think one of the public bathrooms on the lower level is accessible. Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your situation....I just want to make sure you know the alternatives.

Oh my goodness, this is enormously helpful! Thank you so much!

I'm putting some comments in blue below.
I don't think you have to worry about dinner reservations. I'd bet your attendant will bring it from the seating time of your choice.

Also don't forget that Sanford is a good hour from Disney/Universal and Lorton is on a very heavy traffic part of 95.

I can't answer the part about everybody being there for check-in (I doubt its necessary), but both stations have shuttles that take people to the nearby towns/shopping areas, so its perfectly normal for people to leave the station after checking-in.

I posted couple pics some pages ago, quoted below.

I'd urge you to think very hard about whether or not the auto train is right for you. I can't imagine a baby sleeping on the train...there's just so much random movement. My family did not enjoy our first experience. It took two more trys of me going on the train alone (with my wife flying home with our two kids) to get somewhat used to the motion.
I agree! My family took it once (we were in two separate sleeper compartments) and that’s enough for me. I don’t think I slept. I never got used to the movement. My husband and kids slept fine, so I guess it’s an individual thing you have no way of knowing how it will affect you. We did all enjoy the being able to watch the scenery go by and little things like the dining car. It was nice having our car in Orlando. But since there’s not much price difference between the autotrain and flying, flying wins because it’s faster and more comfortable.

I agree! My family took it once (we were in two separate sleeper compartments) and that’s enough for me. I don’t think I slept. I never got used to the movement. My husband and kids slept fine, so I guess it’s an individual thing you have no way of knowing how it will affect you. We did all enjoy the being able to watch the scenery go by and little things like the dining car. It was nice having our car in Orlando. But since there’s not much price difference between the autotrain and flying, flying wins because it’s faster and more comfortable.

We live right around the Lorton station and have taken the AT once. It's a LONG trip. None of us slept really. My friend's mother, who has some disabilities (COPD mainly) took the train up last winter because they are getting to old to drive and the oxygen is a problem. They got a sleeper car but no one was able to sleep and I think, in general, they weren't overly comfortable so they'll be flying from now on.

I don't think we can eat in the dining room at all, because I don't see how we'd get him there. Maybe there's some accessible route between cars that I'm missing? So, at least one parent and kid would have to order the food delivered to the room. If they let us move between cars, the other parent could come and keep us company, and eat something from home, or more likely we'd feed kid something we brought, and the other parent could just eat his meal. So, the question would be whether they'd let other parent come to the car. I'll ask that when I call. If the answer is no, it would probably be a deal breaker. Hopefully, they'd just let us all ride together in the bedroom, and the coach seat would go unused altogether.

I mentioned in a previous post that there is no way to get from car to car unless you go upstairs. I was just answering your question as it would pertain to anyone about dinner. You can have dinner brought to you but you might have an issue eating together as the menus are a little different for coach and sleepers so not sure how they'd handle that. You really need to check.

Interesting comment by a pp about babies sleeping on the train. Having taken the train multiple times starting in coach and now in roomettes and bedrooms, I can tell you the ones that sleep the best are babies and small children. When we were in coach, we were always in the adult car but had to walk through the family car to get to breakfast. Invariably, all the small children would be sound asleep at 6 am and the parents were awake. We have had trips that we've slept pretty well and others that we haven't but we usually get at least 4-5 hours. The worst sleep we got was in coach when a family traveling with a family member with health issues would wake that person up every hour, yes every hour to check them and they weren't quiet. They should have been in a bedroom. It was really unfair to everyone else in that car. I love taking the train and see it as part of the vacation. We live 45 minutes from Lorton.

Last edited:
I posted couple pics some pages ago, quoted below.

I'd urge you to think very hard about whether or not the auto train is right for you. I can't imagine a baby sleeping on the train...there's just so much random movement. My family did not enjoy our first experience. It took two more trys of me going on the train alone (with my wife flying home with our two kids) to get somewhat used to the motion.

Thankfully I'm not asking whether we should or shouldn't go on the Auto Train with a baby. The trip is already booked. I hate flying. We flew to Miami last year with my 1.5 year old and it was a nightmare(flight delays and stuff). I refuse to do the lap baby thing and I'm not dragging two car seats through an airport. I was willing to drive the whole way but my wife wasn't willing. We compromised with the Auto Train. I love trains so I'm super excited. The train should also be way more comfortable than an airplane too.

There is **not** an accessible route between cars. Your understanding was correct that you can only go between cars on the upper level, and the only way up to the upper level is through steep narrow stairs. I don’t think there will be any issue walking between cars. I’ve done so before, walking into coach and back from the sleepers. so long as you know your car and room number, you shouldn't have any problems with an attendant.

Except there are signs telling coach passengers not to go into the sleepers. As long as she clears it with the attendants, it shouldn't be an issue, but don't just assume.

Does you son absolutely have to sit in his wheelchair during the trip? Could you book a family bedroom or regular bedroom, both of which allow for 3+ occupants? The regular bedroom has its own bathroom, but its on the upper level. The family bedroom is on the lower level, but it does not have a bathroom. I think one of the public bathrooms on the lower level is accessible. Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your situation....I just want to make sure you know the alternatives.

He wouldn’t be in the chair, we’d transfer to a bed. He wouldn’t be able to sit up all night.

The stairs wouldn’t be an option. My impression of the family bedroom is that there isn’t enough floor space for a rack of oxygen tanks, a wheelchair and the other stuff we’d need. I also think the bathroom would be hard but no necessarily impossible.

If anyone who has used the family bedroom could comment on floor size that would be helpful.

He wouldn’t be in the chair, we’d transfer to a bed. He wouldn’t be able to sit up all night.

The stairs wouldn’t be an option. My impression of the family bedroom is that there isn’t enough floor space for a rack of oxygen tanks, a wheelchair and the other stuff we’d need. I also think the bathroom would be hard but no necessarily impossible.

If anyone who has used the family bedroom could comment on floor size that would be helpful.
Heres a pic from my trip in a family bedroom:

I'm 6' 1" for context. I'd think tanks would be fine, but wheelchair would have to be stored in the entrance vestibule.

I have no idea if this would work for you, I just want to make sure you understand the options.

View attachment 408803

I'm 6' 1" for context. I'd think tanks would be fine, but wheelchair would have to be stored in the entrance vestibule.

I have no idea if this would work for you, I just want to make sure you understand the options.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, that wouldn't work. We'd need the wheelchair in the room, to be able to transfer him to it to get to the bathroom, and also because we'd need the chair to hold other medical equipment. I'm not sure whether his chair would fit in that floor space (it's pretty small because he's small), but there wouldn't be room for an adult to move around it in the way that we'd need to.

View attachment 408803

Is there anything to keep someone from rolling off the upper bunks? Since one is definitely for a child I would assume there is some sort of protection.

mom2jandjands I am curious to know if there is a reason that driving wouldn't work for your family? Yes, you would probably need to do an overnight stay somewhere along the way, but that might be better sleeping for all of you. Perhaps I missed your reason for doing AutoTrain in your original post.

mom2jandjands I am curious to know if there is a reason that driving wouldn't work for your family? Yes, you would probably need to do an overnight stay somewhere along the way, but that might be better sleeping for all of you. Perhaps I missed your reason for doing AutoTrain in your original post.

There are a few reasons. My son’s tolerance for sitting up, whether in a wheelchair or a car seat is about 5 hours. Then he really needs to lie down and sleep attached to machines that need to be plugged in. Since we live in New York, that would mean we’d need to spend 4 days on the road. But he also receives medicine via infusion that needs to be done every 3rd or 4th day in a hospital outpatient setting, which would add a day and a whole other layer of complexity since we’d need to get preapproval for the hospital(s) enroute, plus one in Florida, and figure out how to switch out oxygen tanks midway. The whole thing would be outside my comfort zone.

I am still not sure that the Auto Train will be in my comfort zone either, but it is the only way I can imagine doing such a trip, and even then I can really only imagine it with the support of Make a Wish. So I want to figure out if it’s possible before I broach the topic with my son or my other kids.

Edited to add that you may be thinking “wait there are other kids”? We have two other boys. My tentative thought is that they would drive down with their Grandfather and Uncle who would probably want to come along. They have no stamina or medical issues and would be fine with 16 hours straight in the car.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts