All about the bling! and staying healthy, of course :) Comments Welcome

QueenFernando

Mouseketeer
Hi all! I’m Kellie. I've been a fan of The Dis for a while now, but just found the running forum a few months back. Everyone is so inspiring and supportive! That can be difficult to find on internet forums these days.

So, here's my training journal. Please feel free to comment, offer advice when I'm stumped, and words of encouragement.

About me: I’m a 49yo mother of 2 (13 and 10). Married DH in 2003. We’re local to Orlando, so runDisney medals (the bling!) is what got me interested in organized runs.

While I’ve been somewhat active throughout my life, but had never ran an organized race until my friend, Michelle, and I did the 2015 Princess Half Marathon. I know, right?! Staring with a HM! We were at a charity event, a few drinks in, talking to some girls at our table who had just done 2014 PHM. Them:“It’s easy and fun! You just sign up and go run it!” My friend and I: “We can do that!” LOL!! Never mind that these girls were 20+ years our junior. We didn’t even realize that the registration was a marathon in itself. I signed up a few hours late and ended up in corral O, panicked by the balloon ladies the whole race though I didn’t actually seen them until in Epcot. But I finished! And, we fell in love with the medals!! Haha!

This year we did the Fair Tale Challenge. We didn’t do much training for this race either, but finished without killing ourselves. I even spent the rest of the day after the HM walking around Disney Springs with family down for a WDW trip. Also, the announcement of the Kessel Run challenge caused me to convince my DH to do that with me last year. I actually trained between the PHM and SW, so I did a bit better on that one.

My DH and I got more serious about our running this summer. It’s great to have a running buddy. I’ve trained alone in the past, but it’s more motivating for me to have someone to run with. On days when he’s not so into it I’m gung-ho, and vice versa. We just finished our couch to 10k training and are headed to St. Augustine this weekend to run the 10k there. Wish me luck! After that we’re going to start some speed training to get my pace a bit faster. Ha! I’m very slow. My DH keeps reminding me that I’m lapping everyone on the couch.

Goals:
1) Keep improving my running and health.
2) Run a 10k POT for getting out of corral F in Disney half marathon runs.
3) Run a sub 1hr 10k.
4) Run all the Vacation Races.

Race Schedule:

Feb Princess Fairy Tale Challenge – Finished!
Apr Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon – Finished!
Aug 18 Celebration of Running 5k (Track Shack Fanatic series) – 48:08
Sep 15 Battle of the Bands 5k (Track Shack Fanatic series) – 47:36
Oct 28 UCF U can Finish 2mi&5mi Distance Dare (Track Shack Fanatic series) – 27:15/1:20:35
Nov 11 St. Augustine 10K - 1:31:00 (recap)
Nov 22 Hot to Trot 10K, Knoxville TN - 1:34:20 (recap)

Jan 19 Park Ave 5k (Track Shack Fanatic series)
Feb 9 Run 4 Love 4mi (Track Shack Fanatic series)
Feb 22 Princess 5k
Feb 23 Enchanted 10k - Fairy Tale Challenge
Feb 24 PHM - Fairy Tale Challenge
Mar 23 Winter Park 10k&2mi distance dare challenge (Track Shack Fanatic series)
Apr 7 SW Half Marathon
Apr 27 Run for the Trees 5k

Last edited:
Welcome! I totally hear you on the bling--those Disney medals look SO fun! I'm working towards getting my first ones for the Kessel Run challenge next year! Looking forward to following your journal.

Awesome! That's a lot of runs planned - I'm jealous. I find myself considering adding more 5ks to my schedule, but there aren't any that I really want locally right now.

Awesome! That's a lot of runs planned - I'm jealous. I find myself considering adding more 5ks to my schedule, but there aren't any that I really want locally right now.
The 5Ks are really helping/forcing me to work on consistent pacing. I'm really bad to go out hot at the beginning then burn out. I get caught up in the excitement with everyone at the stary. In the August 5k I started too fast then overheated. I felt very crappy the rest of the day.

St. Augustine 10k Race Recap

It's about 1.5 hr drive for us, so we headed up in time to go to the expo to pick up our bibs and look around. Well, I'm used to the runDisney bubble and was very underwhelmed by the "expo" to say the least. Two tables of socks and stickers. Oh, well. Got our bibs, walked around, and had dinner on St. George st. Bed by 9:30pm!
We stayed at a B&B within a short walk of the race start, so the morning was easy. Temp was about 67deg, so pretty perfect.

Wow! I was shocked at how small the race was! 257 finishers in the 10k. I'm used to the runDisney crowds. As well as the Track Shack series races. It was nice not being so crowded. We ended up chatting with a man who had done the W&D challenge this year. He's a St. Augustine local and does the 10k every year. We ended up rubber banding him the whole race until the end when I had to walk a bit more.

DH and I have been talking about run/walk intervals. He doesn't like short running intervals, so for this race I set my Garmin to run 1mi and walk 1min, repeating 6 times, plus a run interval until I hit lap press just in case I needed more time at the end. We kept this up until mile 5. I needed a bit more walking at that point. I think for our next 10k on Thanksgiving we'll do run .5mi and walk 1min.

As we approached the finish, I noticed we weren't near the end of the run interval. Thought I had messed up my watch somehow. 1:31:00 finish time. It's a PR for me. Slow, but I'm getting faster!

After the race we ran into our new buddy, and he mentioned the race being short. And, when I checked the race in Connect, sure enough, 6.03 total. Oh, well. I would have still PR'd at 6.2, so I'm happy. And, kept an avg pace of 15:06 per my Garmin.

We're definitely going to do this race again next year. Nice baseline to see where I can get between now and then!

Just keep running!!!
Kellie

Hot to Trot 10K
Well that didn't go as planned....

DH and I were going to run the Hot to Trot 10k on Thanksgiving morning. On Sunday my DD (13) decided she wanted to do the 5k. The course was 1 lap on the course for the 5k and 2 laps for the 10k, so perfect! I was happy for her to want to do it too. Then DS (10) want to run too. Yay! I've been trying to encourage them to run without being pushy. It's a dream of mine to be a running family. We go do 5ks and have fun. Sigh. Maybe someday.

DS got about .25 mi into it and was tired. I tried to be encouraging but pretty much had to drag him through the course. Ugh! Sometimes his attitude is so bad! Kids! :)
Our 5k split was 51:21. Sigh. I had felt so strong this week and was sure I could PR. And I was so frustrated dropping them off at the end of the 5k.
DH and I pushed it and ended up finishing the 10k at about 1:34:20. 3min more than I did a couple of weeks ago without kids, so I'm happy with our makeup speed in the second half. With the performance and endorphin high I was able to ditch my frustration about DS's attitude and have a great Thanksgiving. And my DD loved it and wants to do more 5ks and a 10k. So, YAY!

Overall, it was a successful exercise in coping when things don't go as planned.

I was very impressed with the race organization. The race is just through the Turkey Creek shopping area, but still a very pleasant course. And, Fleet Feet did so well with the overall execution of the event. The awards were hand crafted mugs made by a local artist! So unique! I would do a race with them again when we are in TN.

This week we've started a rotation in our training plan. Intervals - Long run - Tempo - Easy.

Intervals kicked my butt! It's like starting from zero all over again! But I can definitely see how this will help me improve.

This week we've started a rotation in our training plan. Intervals - Long run - Tempo - Easy.

Intervals kicked my butt! It's like starting from zero all over again! But I can definitely see how this will help me improve.
Keep it up! Adding designated paces and speedwork to my running is when I really started improving. Before that I ran every run as fast as I could. Now I can really enjoy the easy runs and race much faster, win-win!

Woo Hoo!!! I hit the 10bs lost mark today!! 10.2 to be exact. :) This has been since the first of August with an average of about .6lbs per week. I've been doing portion control so it doesn't feel like I've had to really work at it. Just trying to make smarter choices.

Tempo run today. Sigh. My least favorite. But hopefully the joy from my weight loss will carry me through.

Great day today! Tempo run went so well!

Plan:
walk to the end of our street or a bit further
10min easy jog warm up
30min or 2mi tempo run at 14:00-14:30 pace
5min cool down
walk rest of way home

Run:
walked to the end of our street. It was windy and a bit cool so I wanted to get started running to warm up.
10min easy jog. nice warm up
2.22miles in 30:08min for an average of 13:36 pace! I was even able to push it and leave DH in the dust a bit at the end.
5min cool down which left us about 2min walk to home

And, I feel great! At least until DH used all the hot water, and I had to take a quick lukewarm shower. :rolleyes:

Went out today in the rain, by myself, and did intervals! DH had a work emergency and couldn't go. But I just put my phone in a ziplock bag and went anyway! I increased my intervals this time because last interval session was a bit "easy". It kicked my butt, but I'm very happy that I was able to motivate myself and not succumb to excuses!

Went out today in the rain, by myself, and did intervals! DH had a work emergency and couldn't go. But I just put my phone in a ziplock bag and went anyway! I increased my intervals this time because last interval session was a bit "easy". It kicked my butt, but I'm very happy that I was able to motivate myself and not succumb to excuses!
I hate starting a run in the rain, and generally avoid running if there is rain around, but on the odd occasion I have been caught in it I love it!

We went skiing in Breckenridge, CO right after Christmas through NY. Wow! My running really helped me dealing with the altitude, and I didn't get so exhausted from skiing. Awesome!

However..... getting back into running after taking just one week off was surprisingly difficult. And, I was very active during that week. For the first run we were going to do 5 miles. After about 1.5 the outside of my left calf just above the ankle started really hurting. So, we walked a bit. Then tried running again, but after about 1/4 mile my leg would hurt again. So, we just kept doing that for 4 miles to get back home. This got me very worried. We run every other day, so two days later we did a slow easy 3 miles. Whew! No pain! I guess skiing just used such different muscles my leg was freaking out. Cross-training definitely needs to be a priority in 2019. The first 1/2 mile was rough, though. Warm up is the worst for me.

Yesterday was intervals. Just about killed me. Got a late start because of DH's work call, and the temp was very warm. I'll blame it on the heat. Tomorrow will be another easy run because right before Christmas I decided to sign up for the 10k of Marathon weekend. Yay! Really looking forward to it! My friend that runs Princess weekend with me is going too. If I can get signed up for Wine & Dine that means I will do at least one race in each WDW race weekend this year.
So excited to experience Marathon weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!