I thought that I would share my experience last week.
1. I had bought 5 day park hopper tickets from Undercover Tourist before the price increase earlier this year.
2. We had used a couple days of the tickets when I went to the concierge at our resort to add the water park option.
3. He charged me over $50 per ticket for the upgrade because he knew that I had paid the old price for the tickets and he said that he had to charge me the current price for the plus tickets.

4. Was there anything different that I could have done that would have made the added cost only $26.63 per ticket instead of over $50?

5. The tickets that I bought from Undercover Tourist were hard tickets, not e-tickets. The tickets were linked to the MDE accounts.
1. Got it.
2. That's fine. That will not affect your upgrade cost, one way or the other.
3. That is the correct amount. (See math below.)
4. Not directly. (You can always "ask nicely" for a lower cost.)
5. That's fine. That will not affect your upgrade cost, one way or the other.

Bottom line-
Looks like you were charged the correct price for the upgrade you requested.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the breakdown of how to figure the costs of upgrading.

(Copied from HERE in the Ticket Sticky.)

There are currently three different ticket upgrade scenarios:

Ticket bought from an Authorized Reseller/Discounter
Ticket bought as part of a WDW Resort Package:
Ticket bought at a Disney Store:
A __ Created BEFORE Feb.12,2017 - (2016) Prices HERE.
B __
Created BETWEEN Feb.12,2017 & Feb.11,2018 (2017) Prices HERE.
C __
Created ON and AFTER Feb.11,2018. (2018) Price list HERE.

A __________
Find the full Disney 2016 price for the kind of ticket that you HAVE on the 2016 Price list HERE.
Subtract that 2016 price from the current 2018 full Disney price for the kind of ticket that you WANT. 2018 Price list HERE.
Pay that difference price for the upgrade.

B __________
Find the full Disney 2017 price for the kind of ticket that you HAVE on the 2017 Price list HERE.
Subtract that 2017 price from the current 2018 full Disney price for the kind of ticket that you WANT. 2018 Price list HERE.

C __________
Find the full Disney 2018 price for the kind of ticket that you HAVE on the 2018 Price list HERE.
Subtract that 2018 price from the current full Disney price for the kind of ticket that you WANT on the (same) 2018 Price list.

YOUR situation fits the "B" status in the above description.
So:

$527.18 5-Day PH PLUS (2018 Disney Value)
-473.93 5-Day PH (2017 Disney Value)
= 53.25 Cost to upgrade from 2017 to 2018 adding the "PLUS" (Water Parks) feature.

(All prices include tax.)

Last edited:
Hello all!

I was wondering what the best ticket option for Annual Passholder/Florida resident during blackout dates?

I’m looking to do one or two day tickets for myself, Hopper not *necessary* but considering it if it’s not astronomical.

Hello all!

I was wondering what the best ticket option for Annual Passholder/Florida resident during blackout dates?

I’m looking to do one or two day tickets for myself, Hopper not *necessary* but considering it if it’s not astronomical.

One-day and two-day tickets are not available at a discount.
(Disney does not wholesale them to resellers.)
So, they are about THE most expensive way to visit WDW.

Taking into account how much a one or two-day ticket costs, have you considered upgrading your APs to "standard" so that you don't have blackout dates?

Does Disney still mail a paper voucher when you order APs online? We purchased APs online a few months ago. While it's showing in our MDE, we never received anything in the mail as we have past times we purchased APs. We also did not receive a magnet, Mickey Monitor, or the option on MDE for AP magic bands. The last time we purchased APs was a few years ago, so have things changed?

Last edited:
Does Disney still mail a paper voucher when you order APs online? We purchased APs online a few months ago. While it's showing in our MDE, we never received anything in the mail as we have past times we purchased APs. We also did not receive a magnet, Mickey Monitor, or the option on MDE for AP magic bands. The last time we purchased APs was a few years ago, so have things changed?
You won’t get the option for AP MagicBands until after your first trip to WDW during which you activate your AP(s.)

Can anyone please confirm my calculation

Want to do AP Bridging.

Buying Undercovertourist tickets

10 day with park hopper

2X adult 1011,14$
1x child 492,12
Total: 1503,26$

At customer service they will refund me gate price (+txs) so
10 day park hopper
2x adult 1150,20$
1x child 553,80$
total: 1704$ refund.

Then they charge for gate price of AP.

My saving would be 200,74$

Is that a correct calculation?

Hopefully this is a pretty simple question, but my wife and I are planning to hit Magic Kingdom for one day in September. We just took a trip and stayed on property earlier this month, so we have Magic Bands.

We are going to purchase one day tickets through Disney's site and then want to book FP+ at 30 days out. Is it simple to link the tickets to our existing Magic Bands?

Hopefully this is a pretty simple question, but my wife and I are planning to hit Magic Kingdom for one day in September. We just took a trip and stayed on property earlier this month, so we have Magic Bands.

We are going to purchase one day tickets through Disney's site and then want to book FP+ at 30 days out. Is it simple to link the tickets to our existing Magic Bands?

If you buy your upcoming tickets through your MyDisneyExperience account, the tickets will instantly and automatically
appear in your MDX account.

Any ticket that appears in your MDX account will automatically be accessed by any MB
also in your account.
Under normal circumstances, there really nothing that you need to do
for the MBs to continue to work with any new tickets.

Can anyone please confirm my calculation

Want to do AP Bridging.

Buying Undercovertourist tickets

10 day with park hopper

2X adult 1011,14$
1x child 492,12
Total: 1503,26$

At customer service they will refund me gate price (+txs) so
10 day park hopper
2x adult 1150,20$
1x child 553,80$
total: 1704$ refund.

Then they charge for gate price of AP.

My saving would be 200,74$

Is that a correct calculation?

You didn't say WHAT KIND of AP.
(I'll assume Platinum AP)

What you actually PAY for a DISCOUNTED ticket does not affect the cost of upgrading, so we can ignore that.

I don't like to talk about upgrades as "refunds" of ticket prices, because Disney does not do ticket refunds.
I also only like to deal with a single ticket at a time, then you can do the multiplication for additional tickets.

Current Disney Prices (including tax)
10 day park hopper
adult $553.80
child $532.50

------------------------------
How to calculate the cost to upgrade current (2018 prices) tickets:
Find the full Disney 2018 price for the kind of ticket that you HAVE on the 2018 Price list HERE.
Subtract that 2018 price from the current full Disney price for the kind of ticket that you WANT on the (same) 2018 Price list.

So...
$904.19 (Platinum AP)
-553.80 (Adult 10 Day PH)
=350.39 (Cost to upgrade adult)

$904.19 (Platinum AP)
-532.50 (Child 10 Day PH)
=371.69 (Cost to upgrade child)

All prices include tax.

Question for you AP experts out there: My fiancée and I will be heading to Disneyland in mid-October and WDW in early November, and I'd like to get us Premier Passports.

That said, we'll be staying at the B Resort at Disney Springs in November, and would also like to take advantage of the 60-day FastPass+ window. Since you can't buy the Premier Passport online, I'm thinking I'd need to buy WDW annual passes >60 days before the WDW trip (~September), then try to have it upgraded to a Premiere Passport while at Disneyland in October.

Will that be possible? At that point I'll have a WDW AP that hasn't actually been used to enter a park (but I assume will be activated so I can get the 60-day FastPasses). Forgive me, I've never had any kind of AP before, so this is all new to me :)

Last edited:
Question for you AP experts out there: My fiancée and I will be heading to Disneyland in mid-October and WDW in early November, and I'd like to get us Premier Passports.

That said, we'll be staying at the B Resort at Disney Springs in November, and would also like to take advantage of the 60-day FastPass+ window. Since you can't buy the Premier Passport online,
1. I'm thinking I'd need to buy WDW annual passes >60 days before the WDW trip (~September), then try to have it upgraded to a Premiere Passport while at Disneyland in October.

2. Will that be possible?
3. At that point I'll have a WDW AP that hasn't actually been used to enter a park
4. (but I assume will be activated so I can get the 60-day FastPasses).
Forgive me, I've never had any kind of AP before, so this is all new to me :)

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Purchased, but as yet unactivated APs ("AP certificates,") can be used to pre-book FP+.
Have fun on your trips!

:welcome: to the DISboards, nathos !

Thanks Robo! I love it when a plan comes together :earsboy:. (Long-time lurker who has gotten lots of WDW & Aulani tips from the boards)

Last edited:
Am I thinking way too hard about this? We are staying offsite, and doing MNSSHP and 1 day at Epcot in a few months. We have magic bands from a couple of years ago that we can use (instead of buying new ones)... but how do we link the tickets to these old magic bands? Do I have to make sure the magic bands are active in MDE first? Buy the tickets first? ...I'm making this more complicated than I need to I think.

Am I thinking way too hard about this? We are staying offsite, and doing MNSSHP and 1 day at Epcot in a few months. We have magic bands from a couple of years ago that we can use (instead of buying new ones)...
1. but how do we link the tickets to these old magic bands?
2. Do I have to make sure the magic bands are active in MDE first?
3. Buy the tickets first? ...I'm making this more complicated than I need to I think.
1. You don't do that, actually. MBs simply access tickets and FPs that are in your MDX account.
2. If YOU have NOT ever DE-activated your older MBs, they are still active.
3. Just buy your new tickets and do so from your MDX account.
The tickets will automatically show up in your MDX account and any MBs that you have
in that same account will be able to access those tickets.

We will be Florida residents soon, and are traveling down before our move so we can look at houses. We bought 2 day tickets for DH and DD to visit the parks (I already have an AP) but would like to upgrade to APs. If we buy the AP now at regular price, can we have the difference refunded once we have proof of residence? I'm guessing not, but was curious.

Either way it will work out cheaper to upgrade to the AP now rather than waiting to move.

We will be Florida residents soon, and are traveling down before our move so we can look at houses. We bought 2 day tickets for DH and DD to visit the parks (I already have an AP) but would like to upgrade to APs. If we buy the AP now at regular price, can we have the difference refunded once we have proof of residence? I'm guessing not, but was curious.

Either way it will work out cheaper to upgrade to the AP now rather than waiting to move.
Never heard of a “retroactive discount” for guests who moved to Florida.
Once an AP has started being used, there is no prorating if a change in AP type is made. Also, in general, there is no “refunding” of ticket costs.

Just renewed our APs for the first time. Our next trip is in September and we are arriving around 6:30pm. We were hoping to head straight to AK when we get there. Since this is our first visit after renewal is there any reason we'd need to stop at a ticket window or GS or can we just go about our evening in the park?

1. You don't do that, actually. MBs simply access tickets and FPs that are in your MDX account.
2. If YOU have NOT ever DE-activated your older MBs, they are still active.
3. Just buy your new tickets and do so from your MDX account.
The tickets will automatically show up in your MDX account and any MBs that you have
in that same account will be able to access those tickets.

AH! That makes sense. I have never deactivated any ticket or magic band I've ever had... I have a list of like 20 :upsidedow. Thanks for the info Robo!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!