The question in the FAQ is if older tickets before the new concept can be upgraded and should ONLY address that:

Paragraph one - references it can't be upgraded.

Paragraph two - now talks about upgrading (albeit sounds like the new tickets but really shouldn't even be talked about with this FAQ - especially with the 14 day window when it doesn't mention you have to buy that now).

Not confusing at all Disney!

However - these tickets were sold by Disney with a promise (at least I believe it was a promise) that even if they expired they would retain their value that could be applied to a new ticket. Unless they are not rescinding on that promise then it can be "upgraded" via getting a credit. I'd do it before use but I'd argue til the cows come home that it is what they said about the MYW tickets with expirations and they need to do that.

We'll be seeing ourselves in a couple of weeks when my niece upgrades from a MYW to an AP.

If I go to Disney's website and click on the upgrade policy it states:
Tickets Purchased Before 2005
You cannot upgrade tickets purchased before 2005. However, while older tickets cannot be upgraded, if an older ticket does not have an expiration date, the ticket remains valid until all admissions are used.
If it is within 14 days of a Disney Theme Park Ticket's first use and the ticket has remaining admissions, you are able to upgrade the ticket. If it is more than 14 days after first use or if no admissions remain, then a ticket may not be modified or upgraded

Given the status of Disney's website I have no idea if the verbiage posted by a PP is more or less current then what I quoted.

JMO Guests want to upgrade third party tickets to an AP. Disney could theoretically base the "trade in value" on the retail value of the ticket (bridge the value), what you paid UT or what UT paid Disney.
Bridging the ticket is, in effect, giving the guest a discount on a ticket which isn't sold by authorized resellers. It makes no, logical, sense for Disney to indirectly allow UT to sell discounted AP through a continuation of "bridging" I know that's the way it's worked in the past but a lot has changed.

I tried to upgrade tickets bought through a cancelled COSTCO package on the phone on October 15. Couldn't be done on the phone. I was told they made a note of my request and I
ll be able to do the upgrade when I arrive.

I wonder if either of those FAQs were written with upgrading to APs in mind at all. 1. They don't mention APs, and 2. They talk about upgrading at hotel concierge desks (which, if I remember correctly, can't do APs.)

However - these tickets were sold by Disney with a promise (at least I believe it was a promise) that even if they expired they would retain their value that could be applied to a new ticket. Unless they are not rescinding on that promise then it can be "upgraded" via getting a credit. I'd do it before use but I'd argue til the cows come home that it is what they said about the MYW tickets with expirations and they need to do that.

We'll be seeing ourselves in a couple of weeks when my niece upgrades from a MYW to an AP.

I've read that "promise" on DIS. Can you point to anything on Disney's website which directly states expired tickets retain their original purchase value? How long before Disney decides to charge a change fee or a service fee charged when utilizing expired tickets?

This whole thing looks complicated. I wonder why Disney doesn't just offer the flex ticket to resellers. Only offer the, possibly, less expensive date based pricing to guests booking a WDW resort package?

For the most part airlines stopped paying travel agency commissions years ago. Some TAs charge a fee for booking airline tickets. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney starts to reduce resellers.

So now I find out that the physical tickets I bought from UT have to be used by Feb 2019. I'm going in May. So they said to cancel the order and buy e-tickets, which they say to their knowledge can still be upgraded. Regardless of the new ticket system, have e-tickets in the past been able to be upgraded to an AP?

So now I find out that the physical tickets I bought from UT have to be used by Feb 2019. I'm going in May. So they said to cancel the order and buy e-tickets, which they say to their knowledge can still be upgraded. Regardless of the new ticket system, have e-tickets in the past been able to be upgraded to an AP?
Yes. To Disney, all tickets, whether plastic or /e/, are just digital data in their system. They check your MDX account and use that data as the basis for the upgrade.

UT was very accommodating - cancelled the order (they hadn't shipped yet) without the usual 5% refund fee.

I 'll wait until UT starts selling the new tickets and buy those to insure they are able to be upgraded. Not worth buying the older e-tickets without knowing for sure if they can be upgraded to AP.

UT was very accommodating - cancelled the order (they hadn't shipped yet) without the usual 5% refund fee.

I 'll wait until UT starts selling the new tickets and buy those to insure they are able to be upgraded. Not worth buying the older e-tickets without knowing for sure if they can be upgraded to AP.
Yes, UT has been very accommodating to us in the past! Glad they helped you out. I'm with you, though... afraid to buy the e-tickets without certainty they can be upgraded.

I spoke with Disney ticketing today and with DVC member services today by phone. Both indicated that tickets can always be upgraded. Tthey told me I had to do it in person at guest services. DVC member services said that I can apply my MYW ticket to a Gold AP and pay the difference based on what I paid for the MYW ticket. DVC member services said that the amount I paid for the MYW ticket would be applied towards an AP. What's still unclear if Disney will upgrade based on the standard gate price on October 15th or what we actually paid for the ticket. I purchased mine from UT. I have a premium plus AP right now. I bought a 7 day MYW PH ticket through UT that I'd like to upgrade to a Gold AP. I was told that I could get the 15% discount on the renewal for the Gold AP.

I spoke with Disney ticketing today and with DVC member services today by phone. Both indicated that tickets can always be upgraded.

That doesn't explain this on their website:

Q.
Can I upgrade a theme park ticket that I purchased before Disney Theme Park Tickets was introduced? How about a more recent ticket from a previous visit?

A.
Unfortunately, tickets purchased before Disney Theme Park Tickets were introduced are not able to be upgraded.

Parksavers has the new tickets for sale at a discount. Looks like the savings are about the same as they were with the old ticket prices, at least for the time of year I'm going (May). 8 day PH ticket is roughly $62 less than gate price, most other PH tix are about $52-57 less. So for those who don't want to take a chance that the old tix can't be upgraded and also don't want to wait for UT to start selling the new tix, Parksavers is an option right now.

Great! Even after I've started using them?
Actually, to do it yourself on MDE you have to wait till you start using them. There is no way to upgrade online till them.

This message on the WDW site seems to say that we cannot upgrade valid MYW tickets?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/tickets/upgrades/

Someone there with a ticket now can check this very easily. Look on their MDE. It will show them an upgrade link (or not)
I'm going to say this is not 100% accurate and not addressing the exact question of moving them to an AP

Boardwalk Ticketing is showing as the lowest priced option on Touring Plans’ “Ticket Calculator” page.

There are more options than only UT.

Am I looking in the wrong place, or is the upgrade tickets option gone in the app? Or does it only appear when you're onsite?
It only appears when you are on site AND have used 1 day of the ticket. Even though doing it in person doesn't require you to use a day, the app does.

So happens, I was looking at my app and there's a ghost ticket on my MDE account that is used. Belongs to someone we traveled with last week, and I can see it as we linked our MDE accounts. Because it shows as used, the message to upgrade is there. It has no entitlements left on it so there's no value but the app still sees it as a used ticket so, it reads that you can upgrade to an annual pass before or on the last day of your tickets "to keep the fun going in the parks"
Just like it always has. This is an older, MYW ticket, just like you'd buy from the resellers right now.

ETA - Just read the ticket closer, and this is a NE Ghost ticket. Has 0 entitlements left on a 6 day NE PH ticket. I guess this could be why it never fell off their account, and now I can see it. But it remains that the message to upgrade is still there. With no value on the ticket what should be a link to apply the cost to an AP doesn't do anything so I can't go through the check out process to further test the process.

Last edited:
Thanks I must have seen it when I was there last time, because I definitely saw it once!
Now that I'm looking at the message on a ghost ticket I can see that it doesn't require you are at WDW. Just that you use it first. Now, most tickets drop off MDE so once you've used it and left, they aren't there, which is why it appears the message only appears when on site. What the actual trigger is, is that you have to use a day first, then the message comes up.

So coincidentally I just got a call from customer relations Re: an email that I'd sent earlier in the week.

She told me- the reason it says MYW tickets can no longer be upgraded is because when we upgrade, they are essentially issuing new tickets, and they are no longer issuing MYW tickets. The value of our tickets can still be used to buy any higher value ticket, AP, etc as before, paying the price difference between the cost of the ticket at the time is was issued and the cost of the ticket we want.

(and I know I'm just agreeing with PP here but figured it couldn't hurt to post)

So coincidentally I just got a call from customer relations Re: an email that I'd sent earlier in the week.

She told me- the reason it says MYW tickets can no longer be upgraded is because when we upgrade, they are essentially issuing new tickets, and they are no longer issuing MYW tickets. The value of our tickets can still be used to buy any higher value ticket, AP, etc as before, paying the price difference between the cost of the ticket at the time is was issued and the cost of the ticket we want.

(and I know I'm just agreeing with PP here but figured it couldn't hurt to post)

Sometimes explaining the technical really doesn’t need to be done. In every manner that’s Exactly what upgrading a ticket is although yes, not to what they called the MYW ticket. I for one don’t care what they call it - just about the days it gets me in.

So happens, I was looking at my app and there's a ghost ticket on my MDE account that is used. Belongs to someone we traveled with last week, and I can see it as we linked our MDE accounts. Because it shows as used, the message to upgrade is there. It has no entitlements left on it so there's no value but the app still sees it as a used ticket so, it reads that you can upgrade to an annual pass before or on the last day of your tickets "to keep the fun going in the parks"
Just like it always has. This is an older, MYW ticket, just like you'd buy from the resellers right now.

ETA - Just read the ticket closer, and this is a NE Ghost ticket. Has 0 entitlements left on a 6 day NE PH ticket. I guess this could be why it never fell off their account, and now I can see it. But it remains that the message to upgrade is still there. With no value on the ticket what should be a link to apply the cost to an AP doesn't do anything so I can't go through the check out process to further test the process.

I'm curious whether it stays on there until the 14 day period is up. Not to go down another rabbit hole but I absolutely added a day to our tickets after all the entitlements were used last trip on check out day- the concierge desk was deserted the night before. But they did it at the gate to MK the next morning with no comment- I didn't realize at the time I was "breaking the rules" and I'm wondering if it's relatively easy for them to do during the 14 day period, even if it's not allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter