You would think that, but running the actual numbers with the new ticketing structure, it's much more pricey for me to upgrade 6 day hoppers than 4 day hoppers. I know I still saved in the beginning but the difference in upgrade costs is prohibitive.

Sorry, but you have something incorrect in your figures.

Yeah. I understand that, but the numbers aren't static upgrading between 4 days and 6 days. It's approximately 250 to upgrade our 8 tickets as 4 day tickets and 675 to upgrade them as 6 day tickets.

Yeah. I understand that, but the numbers aren't static upgrading between 4 days and 6 days. It's approximately 250 to upgrade our 8 tickets as 4 day tickets and 675 to upgrade them as 6 day tickets.

What kind of tickets do you want to upgrade to?

Do you want 4-day Hoppers or 6-day Hoppers?

Why where you "afraid of" that?

If you are upgrading, that is GOOD news.
You only paid the cost of a 4-day ticket to buy it, but
you will get the price-value of a 6-day ticket in the upgrade transaction.

What kind of tickets do you want to upgrade to?

Do you want 4-day Hoppers or 6-day Hoppers?

I want 6 day hoppers. Per post 3 I found the value from when I purchased in 2018 prior to October 16 and subracted that from current prices. I'm looking at my cost today irrespective of what I paid already. If I could treat them as 4 day tickets, it would be less money out of pocket today, but I understand now that they aren't. I think I'm not being clear in my explanation, but I understand how it works.

Thanks for all the help.

Ok so now you have me intrigued, because that makes no sense at all.

Were they purchased from UT before 10/18/18? Are they under the OLD pricing structure, or are they date based tickets?
If they're under the new date based pricing, what is your start date?

Kinda want to see the numbers for myself because I'm not seeing what you're saying to be true

I have a convoluted question about tickets, and I would be really appreciative if someone can just point me in the right direction if this isn't the thread for this kind of help. My husband and I have APs that will expire on June 01, 2019. We have an 8 day vacation planned for May 27-June 3. We originally planned to leave on June 1 but had to adjust because of work dates changing. We have two adult children going with us on this trip and purchased four 8-day park hopper tickets with the plan to give all tickets to our children and just use our APs. We have the free dining and got the 4 day for that reason. Now that our dates changed, what are my options since my husband and I will need tickets for June 2 and 3? I do not want to lose the free dining.

I want 6 day hoppers. Per post 3 I found the value from when I purchased in 2018 prior to October 16 and subracted that from current prices. I'm looking at my cost today irrespective of what I paid already. If I could treat them as 4 day tickets, it would be less money out of pocket today, but I understand now that they aren't. I think I'm not being clear in my explanation, but I understand how it works.

Thanks for all the help.

Post #6 (HERE) in this post is this thread with the Upgrade cost computations.

If you want 6-day Hoppers, you subtract the "Early 2018" price of a 6-day Base ticket from the current cost of a 6-day Hopper.
That will give you the Upgrade cost.

That Upgrade price will be less than if you were to subtract the "Early 2018" price of a 4-day Base ticket from the current cost of a 6-day Hopper.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Early 2018" 4-day Base Upgrade "trade-in" value: $404.70 w/tax
"Early 2018" 6-day Base Upgrade "trade-in" value: $431.33 w/tax

Last edited:

I have a convoluted question about tickets, and I would be really appreciative if someone can just point me in the right direction if this isn't the thread for this kind of help. My husband and I have APs that will expire on June 01, 2019. We have an 8 day vacation planned for May 27-June 3. We originally planned to leave on June 1 but had to adjust because of work dates changing. We have two adult children going with us on this trip and purchased four 8-day park hopper tickets with the plan to give all tickets to our children and just use our APs. We have the free dining and got the 4 day for that reason. Now that our dates changed, what are my options since my husband and I will need tickets for June 2 and 3? I do not want to lose the free dining.

I'm confused - did you purchase 4 8-day tickets or 4 4-day tickets with the expectation that your kids could use sets of two 4 day tickets consecutively?

I purchased 4 4-day tickets for the kids to use consecutively. Sorry about that.

Gotcha. You are much better off just changing all of your tickets to 8 day parkhoppers rather than buying 2 day tickets for you and your husband, if you don't plan on renewing your APs

You can still use your APs to get food and merchandise discounts

Cost of 4 4 day parkhoppers with tax $2065.76
Cost of 4 8 day parkhoppers with tax $2281.96

Difference of $216.20

Cost of 2 2 day parkhoppers with tax $616.60

Gotcha. You are much better off just changing all of your tickets to 8 day parkhoppers rather than buying 2 day tickets for you and your husband, if you don't plan on renewing your APs

You can still use your APs to get food and merchandise discounts

Cost of 4 4 day parkhoppers with tax $2065.76
Cost of 4 8 day parkhoppers with tax $2281.96

Difference of $216.20

Cost of 2 2 day parkhoppers with tax $616.60

Could @Kai Rose upgrade just the adult childrens' tickets to 8 day hoppers AFTER arrival? She and husband use the 4 day hoppers booked with Free Dining after AP expires. Upgrade kids' tickets to 8 day hoppers after checkin. That would save some money.

Could @Kai Rose upgrade just the adult childrens' tickets to 8 day hoppers AFTER arrival? She and husband use the 4 day hoppers booked with Free Dining after AP expires. Upgrade kids' tickets to 8 day hoppers after checkin. That would save some money.

Yes.
AFTER arrival, even "package" tickets can be upgraded individually, if desired.
(Not all tickets must be "the same type" as is the situation BEFORE check-in.)

Yes.
AFTER arrival, even "package" tickets can be upgraded individually, if desired.
(Not all tickets must be "the same type" as is the situation BEFORE check-in.)

But wouldn't they lose one day of use?

4 day tickets are only good for 7 days - if the start date of the tickets is May 27, they are only good until June 2, and PP needs to use tickets on June 2 and 3.

ETA: Nevermind - I just remembered that tickets are good for length of stay OR ticket valid date, whichever is longer. Brain fart.

But wouldn't they lose one day of use?

4 day tickets are only good for 7 days - if the start date of the tickets is May 27, they are only good until June 2, and PP needs to use tickets on June 2 and 3.

ETA: Nevermind - I just remembered that tickets are good for length of stay OR ticket valid date, whichever is longer. Brain fart.

Package tickets are good for lenght of stay or the state use period, whichever is longer.

1. Yes.
2. Nope.
3. “Upgrading” means making it as though you had bought and used the “new” ticket from the start.

Thank you!

strange, when i look in the App now, my DVC ticket shows as upgradeable, but says the expiration date would be 12/12/19, not 1 year from my my first day of use, which was 12/5/18. I used my 6th ticket day on 12/11/18, and as mentioned above, have 1 ticket day left. Seems they are using my date of LAST ticket used, and not first ticket used? is that odd?

A few questions:
1) I got an Annual Pass in November - (Purchased online and activated at Disney Spring Guest Services on arrival). We got our cards and a brochure there, but is there anything that comes int he mail? Like the "generic" Annual Passholder magnet or some other welcome packet? It has been over 2 months now and we never received anything in the mail -- so just curious.

2) My wife noticed "3 day ticket" gift cards at Target. Are those really tickets you redeem online (and if so, how does that work with the variable pricing?) or is it simply a $300+ gift card that is just marketed that way since it would be enough to buy 3 days? Just curious .. if they are just a generic Disney gift card, I would buy those instead of the $50 or $100 ones .. since it is a larger quantity.

Thank you!

strange, when i look in the App now, my DVC ticket shows as upgradeable, but says the expiration date would be 12/12/19, not 1 year from my my first day of use, which was 12/5/18. I used my 6th ticket day on 12/11/18, and as mentioned above, have 1 ticket day left. Seems they are using my date of LAST ticket used, and not first ticket used? is that odd?

Only "odd" if you don't consider a preponderance of incorrect info being displayed on MDX.

If your upgrade (actually) does expire on 12/05/19, consider that right and proper.
If your upgrade (actually) does expire on 12/12/19, consider that gravy!

A few questions:
1) I got an Annual Pass in November - (Purchased online and activated at Disney Spring Guest Services on arrival). We got our cards and a brochure there, but is there anything that comes int he mail? Like the "generic" Annual Passholder magnet or some other welcome packet? It has been over 2 months now and we never received anything in the mail -- so just curious.

2) My wife noticed "3 day ticket" gift cards at Target. Are those really tickets you redeem online (and if so, how does that work with the variable pricing?) or is it simply a $300+ gift card that is just marketed that way since it would be enough to buy 3 days? Just curious .. if they are just a generic Disney gift card, I would buy those instead of the $50 or $100 ones .. since it is a larger quantity.

1) Your MDX account should pop up with an opportunity to "customize" your AP MagicBand.
Then, it will be sent to you. (Sometimes with an "AP Slider," sometimes without the Slider.)

2) Who knows how long those cards have been in stock?
Since its really a "Target question" and not really a Disney ticket question, I can't
offer more info.

Only "odd" if you don't consider a preponderance of incorrect info being displayed on MDX.

If your upgrade (actually) does expire on 12/05/19, consider that right and proper.
If your upgrade (actually) does expire on 12/12/19, consider that gravy!

But i really want it to expire 1 year from 7th day usage which will be used on 4/27/19 - :tongue::tongue: maybe it will change in the app after i use my last day??? wishful thinking......o_O

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!