all my dvc brochures have arrived - Qs

bex7583

DIS Veteran
ok so a early knock on the door woke me up with a huge box full of all our dvc brochures

dh had been speaking to somebody in our hotel during our holiday ( i was totally amazed to see him doing this i didnt even force him ) anyway the man we spoke with whilst in orlando said packages for uk guests start at £10,000 and that gets you 3 nights or £18,000 for 5 nights he never mentioned points or anything

unfortunatley we didnt feel we had time to go to the meeting while there ( plus i worked telesales for grand vacation club so know how long these things can take ) and i know im an impulsive buyer and didnt want to sign anything then spend the rest of my holiday fretting about it

the brochures that have come are fully of lovely pictures and how amazing dvc is but no mention of price or costs of the points ??

looking through the book i do think the grand floridian villas would be best for us as they fit 5 in , the 1 beds at other resorts were more points ??

i just have no idea of costs and im not really sure the figures and info we were given at the chat on holiday are reliable ?

so do the costs of the packages alter depending on what resort you choose or do you pay the same amount but get less points depend on your home resort choice ?

OK, so first things first. As you will have seen from the brochure you received, DVC does work on a points system. In a nutshell, you buy a vacation club interest at a number of points. The amount of points we bought was determined by the time of year we planned to visit most often and the size of villa we would need. In hindsight, I wish we had bought enough points to allow us to have (at least) a studio in high (Magic) season every year.

In previous years, you have been able to get a discount on the per-point price if you have a recommendation from another DVC member, although I'm not sure if this is the case currently. There are often other promotions running too - again, in previous years, you have been able to get a free cruise if buying a certain number of points.

The price per point is currently between $115 and $165 per point, depending on where you buy. There is a good indication of points costs and incentives on this link.

The only thing I would say to you is to think long and hard about what you are likely to use your membership for. If the answer is that you will always want to use it to stay at a DVC resort, you would be wise to look at buying resale as well as direct (just to compare).

If you have any other questions, please ask.

I would think long and hard about planning on staying as a party of 5 in a VGF studio. They are bigger than other studios granted but 5 in there will be very cramped. Have a look at the AKV value 2 bedrooms I don't know off the top of my head how many more points that would be but they are good value also have a look at the standard view 1 bedrooms at Kidani village both are reasonable on points but give you space.

First of all have a good read on how DVC works - DVC News has a good beginners guide.

Second are you going to travel to Disney at least every 3 years?

Third, there will be "guide" assigned to you and I would bet they will phone now you have the package. They will give you pricing for the different resorts including any promotions.

Like others there is no way I would put 5 people in a studio - we always have a one bedroom and there is only 3 of us. Part of the beauty of DVC to us is the space and facilities on the villas (rather than the studios) - like the in-room washing machine and the full kitchen. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter