All Work and a Little Play Makes Jen a Happy Girl!

I’ll pretend the next stop was the restaurant.

Margaritaville!

marg45 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg38 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg39 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg40 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg41 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg42 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg127 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg43 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was not as big as the one at Universal Orlando but it could hold a lot of people. They often have concerts in the restaurants or outside by the beach. This was something we were told about quite often.

Ok, since I don’t remember the order of room visits, I’ll just post some room pictures and views. We saw several different kinds with different views and layouts and price levels. I have priced out this resort a few times…always over a holiday season and it is PRICEY…..but oh so cool!

To take an elevator you must have a room key to activate it. It keeps people who are not staying out of the floors with guests staying on them.

Let’s start with some views! Margaritaville has ALL water view rooms….because one side is the ocean and the other side is the water way. Super cool!

Patio chair.

marg13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

A look down.

marg16 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Pool

marg22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg27 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg29 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg30 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg116 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg117 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg118 by Jenseib, on Flickr

See the shops off to the left side of this picture….that is where we were supposed to have free time to look and roam in a little bit.

marg125 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And ocean!...that little building down there is where they have concerts.

marg19 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg119 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg120 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg121 by Jenseib, on Flickr

How about this view? Pretty cool, isn’t it?

marg20 by Jenseib, on Flickr

MARG25 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg26 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg28 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And another pool.

marg11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg15 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg82 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg100 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And down by the one pool.

marg122 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg123 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg124 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And down by the main pool.

marg44 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg46 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg47 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And the boardwalk area.

marg48 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg49 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg128 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Now for some room shots. These are mixed up and different types of rooms, but it gives you an idea.

marg71 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg73 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg74 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg18 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg76 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg78 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg79 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg80 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg83 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg84 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg94 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg95 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Continued….

marg96 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg99 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg102 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg104 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg105 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg106 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg107 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg108 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg109 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And they had really nice bathrooms as well.

marg85 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg90 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg92 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg91 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg93 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg114 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg115 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg75 by Jenseib, on Flickr

By now the tour was running pretty long and Gonzalo said we needed to wrap it up. The Captain said he needed to show us the spa.

marg32 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg33 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg34 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marg35 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Now we were past the time that this tour was to end and this place is nice…but a spa is pretty much the same everywhere…and the Captain was long winded and would stop and talk about everything. He was very passionate about the place. Then it was one more thing….the kids club.

marg50 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And then the gym…and then the gift shop…..and at this point I had to go to the bathroom and was doing the peepee dance. I excused myself from the group and told Gonzalo that I would meet them at the bus. I thought the tour was ending. We were now past the shopping and free time and at the time we needed to leave for our last place of the day.

I ran to the bathroom and a few others did as well. When we came out we found out that the Captain now took the group across the street to see another restaurant.

I found a bench out front and sat with some of the others who didn’t go.

I thought these bikes were cute.

marg129 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Gonzalo was getting a little mad now. The tour was nice, but they need to respect that we have a time limit as well. We told him that he is just going to have to be firm in the future because this guy seems like he will walk over anyone if given the chance. We can tell he loves his resort, but he needs to fit the important stuff in in the time allowed.

The group finally came back and we said good bye to the captain and boarded our party bus.

marg51 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We were all bummed that we didn’t have any free time but it is what it is. We were tired but we still had one more tour and dinner. Gonzalo called the next hotel to let them know we were running late, but on our way.

Margaritaville looks beautiful. We stayed at one once in Pensacola for 2 nights and it also was beautiful... but too expensive!!

What beautiful hotels! It’s 40 degrees and windy here today-they all look wonderful to me!
And your pictures are beautiful!

So funny story, when I was little my uncle had a couple condos on the canal in Fort Lauderdale. We would have to drive over that draw bridge to get there! It is what started my fear of bridges! I was terrified that we would get stuck on the bridge when it went up and fall in the water in the car. The irrational mind of a 5 year old! He died when I was 7 and we sold the condos when I was 10. I was fine with it though because that last trip there I ran into a chair and broke my toe, then my sister slammed the car door on my hand and locked my fingers in there! People wonder why I never want to go to Fort Lauderdale lol :rotfl2:

Love the Margaritaville pics! DS always insists we hit 5he restaurant in Orlando. Volcano nachos -yum!

I kmew what the parrot picture was of, but only because I had just seen it a few weeks earlier! Our cousins daughter did a school project on optical illusions, and this was one on her board. Evem looking at it up close it was difficullt to see the lady!

Is the Las Olas area have a Cheesecake Factory on. the corner? It looks like the same area where we ate a few years ago after oir Disney Wonder cruise out of Miami in 14.

For some reason I am not getting notifications so I am playing catch up.

I have thought about signing up for my MCC and going to that will give a lot of credits towards the certification.

I have never heard of this before. Is this another accreditation scheme? I managed to renew my master status with CLIA for another year so I am good to go. By the way, I found out on Monday that I did get one of the Royal Caribbean sponsored places for the CLIA conference. I am over the moon.

Then I waited and waited for my bill. My gal had totally disappeared now. I just wanted to leave and head to the beach. I was annoyed because this breakfast was going to be about $15 plus tip and the service was awful. They did have a buffet too but I didn’t want to spend that amount and I didn’t want a full meal. I finally waved down another server and she went and found my server who brought me my check. I was pleasantly surprised when my bill was only $5 and some change! She didn’t charge me for the juice or the bagel. OK, I take back all my nasty thoughts! LOL!

As annoying as it must have been, it looks like the subpar service worked out in the end.

Whale Fries is something that Guy had and what this place is famous for. The Fries are kind of an in between of chips and fries and the sauce …if I remember right…was like a honey mustard mayo sauce.

They were good!

They look delicious.

I have to admit, Fort Lauderdale has never appealed to me. I enjoy seeing all your photos and I find this really interesting, but so far what I have seen has not changed my mind about Fort Lauderdale.

Corinna

I am loving your review (as always)!

We live in Boca Raton (very close to the Whale's Rib), so Fort Lauderdale is our neck of the woods! Interesting to see it from your perspective. Your pictures are beautiful.

Hello everyone!
I want to apologize for dropping off the face of the earth. We had a lot going on here. Skip ended up not having his shoulder replaced last week due to a sinus infection...I was working all week on preparing our rental property that was trashed...to get it ready to sell..... and to top it off, Skip had a mini stroke last Friday and was in the hospital for a few days. He is doing great and you really never would have known this had happened, but it did and we are trying to make some lifestyle changes to make him healthier and have less stress.

Margaritaville looks beautiful. We stayed at one once in Pensacola for 2 nights and it also was beautiful... but too expensive!!

Everything is expensive anymore. LOL. I look at other vacation options and when I figure out hotels and cost to get there plus food, they really are not much cheaper than a cruise or a stay at WDW or Universal. But then I seem to compare all vacations to those. hahaha.

What beautiful hotels! It’s 40 degrees and windy here today-they all look wonderful to me!
And your pictures are beautiful!

We finally hit 70's yesterday and today is supposed to be that way too....and then back to the 30's on Sat.

So funny story, when I was little my uncle had a couple condos on the canal in Fort Lauderdale. We would have to drive over that draw bridge to get there! It is what started my fear of bridges! I was terrified that we would get stuck on the bridge when it went up and fall in the water in the car. The irrational mind of a 5 year old! He died when I was 7 and we sold the condos when I was 10. I was fine with it though because that last trip there I ran into a chair and broke my toe, then my sister slammed the car door on my hand and locked my fingers in there! People wonder why I never want to go to Fort Lauderdale lol :rotfl2:

That's funny.
We had a couple in Toledo, but I usually only went on the one about once a year when we would go to the sports arena for an event. (which no longer is there anymore). I had the same fear, but at the same time a morbid curiosity. Believe it or not, Toledo also had a draw bridge on the Expressway! (I believe it's 280). Only in the last 15 years did they finally make a bypass so those traveling past Toledo no longer have to be stopped by a draw bridge....however that new bridge is FREAKING scary. It's so high and it sways. I hate it!

Love the Margaritaville pics! DS always insists we hit 5he restaurant in Orlando. Volcano nachos -yum!

I kmew what the parrot picture was of, but only because I had just seen it a few weeks earlier! Our cousins daughter did a school project on optical illusions, and this was one on her board. Evem looking at it up close it was difficullt to see the lady!

Is the Las Olas area have a Cheesecake Factory on. the corner? It looks like the same area where we ate a few years ago after oir Disney Wonder cruise out of Miami in 14.

I love those nachos too.

I have seen similar pictures as well and they are always so neat to see.

I did not see a Cheesecake Factory, but there could have been. We basically went around one block and that was it. Some of my friends later in the week after I left did a bike tour thing where they went from bar to bar for drinks. They may have seen it. I saw their pics and videos and I wished I had stayed to have more fun, but I had to do what was best for the family too.

For some reason I am not getting notifications so I am playing catch up.

It does that to me too at times. I am not sure why.

I have never heard of this before. Is this another accreditation scheme? I managed to renew my master status with CLIA for another year so I am good to go. By the way, I found out on Monday that I did get one of the Royal Caribbean sponsored places for the CLIA conference. I am over the moon.

I am not sure how yours works. When I started with Clia, the lowest accreditation was the ACC (Accredited Cruise Counselor). Then they revamped the requirements and added a lower one, which is the CCC. That one is super easy to obtain. The ACC now is much easier to get than when I did it and the MCC (which is the Masters) is similar now to what I had to do for my ACC. I keep saying I am going to sign up, but I haven't yet.

Yay for getting what you wanted. I bet you will have such a great time and learn so much.

As annoying as it must have been, it looks like the subpar service worked out in the end.

Yes. I was a bit happier after that.

They look delicious.

I have to admit, Fort Lauderdale has never appealed to me. I enjoy seeing all your photos and I find this really interesting, but so far what I have seen has not changed my mind about Fort Lauderdale.

I know a lot of people are not big fans, but I like it. I think we would really only need to do a few days pre-cruise though for our family as we are not ones to just hang out at the beach all day every day. They do have some neat things to do in the area though. It's just kind of an expensive area if you want to be near the beach or the more touristy things.

I am loving your review (as always)!

We live in Boca Raton (very close to the Whale's Rib), so Fort Lauderdale is our neck of the woods! Interesting to see it from your perspective. Your pictures are beautiful.

Thanks!
Do you like the Whale's rib then? I liked it and thought it was a fun place. I enjoyed looking at the different areas of Ft. L. Of course I had the mad whirl wind tour.

Sounds like you’ve had a stressful couple of weeks-glad to hear your husband is getting better.

Oh no! Poor Skip is not having an easy go of it. I am glad to hear he is one the mend, and honestly not too shocked about it. Hope things calm down soon for you!

and to top it off, Skip had a mini stroke last Friday and was in the hospital for a few days. He is doing great and you really never would have known this had happened, but it did and we are trying to make some lifestyle changes to make him healthier and have less stress.

I am sorry to read this. I am glad that he is recovering well.

I am not sure how yours works. When I started with Clia, the lowest accreditation was the ACC (Accredited Cruise Counselor). Then they revamped the requirements and added a lower one, which is the CCC. That one is super easy to obtain. The ACC now is much easier to get than when I did it and the MCC (which is the Masters) is similar now to what I had to do for my ACC. I keep saying I am going to sign up, but I haven't yet.

That does sound very similar to the system we have in the UK. I had a quick look and the main differences are that instead of the case studies, I had to do two blogs, sales are not part of the process in the UK and the attendance at conference is not compulsory for certification. I was lucky that I could claim for the cruises I had taken since 2012 so that took care of this part.

Yay for getting what you wanted. I bet you will have such a great time and learn so much.

I sure I will, but I am also a little scared.

I think we would really only need to do a few days pre-cruise though for our family as we are not ones to just hang out at the beach all day every day.

I think this is probably the reason why Fort Lauderdale has never appealed. I love swimming in the sea, but have never seen the charm of hanging out on the beach.

Corinna

Thanks!
Do you like the Whale's rib then? I liked it and thought it was a fun place. I enjoyed looking at the different areas of Ft. L. Of course I had the mad whirl wind tour.
Yes, we like the Whale's Rib, but we wait to go when the snowbirds are outta here! (My favorite is the blackened shrimp caesar salad. Whale fries on the side, no sauce, and regular salt, please. Dh loves the clam chowder.)

Looks like you did quite a lot on your Ft. Lauderdale tour. Fun stuff!

Sounds like you’ve had a stressful couple of weeks-glad to hear your husband is getting better.

I am starting to think 2018 in general is just not a good year.

Oh no! Poor Skip is not having an easy go of it. I am glad to hear he is one the mend, and honestly not too shocked about it. Hope things calm down soon for you!

He's doing good and hoping it stays that way!

I am sorry to read this. I am glad that he is recovering well.

Thanks

That does sound very similar to the system we have in the UK. I had a quick look and the main differences are that instead of the case studies, I had to do two blogs, sales are not part of the process in the UK and the attendance at conference is not compulsory for certification. I was lucky that I could claim for the cruises I had taken since 2012 so that took care of this part.

I would much rather do the blog than case studies! Sales are a big thing for the US and why many people never even attempt to get it.

I sure I will, but I am also a little scared.

You will do fine. You will meet people and learn a lot.

I think this is probably the reason why Fort Lauderdale has never appealed. I love swimming in the sea, but have never seen the charm of hanging out on the beach.

My sister is a big beach person, which always surprises me as we never took Beach vacations as a kid.

Yes, we like the Whale's Rib, but we wait to go when the snowbirds are outta here! (My favorite is the blackened shrimp caesar salad. Whale fries on the side, no sauce, and regular salt, please. Dh loves the clam chowder.)

Looks like you did quite a lot on your Ft. Lauderdale tour. Fun stuff!

MMM chowder sounds good!

The last stop of the day was the Westin!

westin5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We had a fabulous tour guide and she was so nice and she knew we were tired, but did a great job at showing us the highlights, yet making it a quick tour.

The pool

westin7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

westin1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I don’t remember if these were in the lobby or in the room, but I thought they were neat.

westin2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

westin8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

She showed us how sound proof the doors were and it was really amazing.

https://youtu.be/5u7rQup5utQ

westin9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We toured a couple of rooms.

westin10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

westin11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

westin12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

westin3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The one thing I didn’t like was these rooms had that little shutter window between the bathroom and the bedroom. I think I took a picture but I didn’t load it online….probably because we were being silly and playing peek a boo through it. I’m not a fan of those as I feel it doesn’t offer enough privacy for the bathroom.

After the tour we headed down to their restaurant to have dinner. I forget the name of it now, but it was something with the word Siren in it….however they were refurbing it and it was going to be turned into an Upscale Tex Mex place.

Again, without digging for my notes, I can’t remember our guides name tonight, but she was so nice. I want to say it was Stephanie and I could be totally wrong, but I am going to call her that for now. LOL.

We were sat at a table that was basically on the patio with a tent like wall enclosure. I stupidly sat by the opening out to the street. It ended up getting chilly and I was freezing!

Stephanie was actually from the UK I believe and she had the greatest accent. She told us to order whatever we wanted. Of course when people say that, you still don’t want to go overboard, but she kept insisting we get appetizers and sides or soups, etc and anything we wanted to drink and she was going to get several bottles of wine. If she asked you what you were getting and you didn’t name enough items she would insist you get more.

She ordered several appetizers to pass around and I also dug into the rolls as I was starving. Then I had some soup.

westin4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The wine kept coming around and I am not a big wine drinker, but they kept filling the glass up and I kept drinking…I also had water and diet coke…thank goodness as we were all getting a little giggly.

For my entre I got the scallops….I believe over risotto.

westin13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I also ordered a side of mushrooms. I LOVE sautéed mushrooms…except these. They had rosemary in them and it was very strong and I just am not a fan of rosemary, so I only ate a few bites.

westin14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was a very slow pace meal and we all talked and laughed and had a great time. To use the bathroom you had to exit and go to the lobby. I then went out the front of the hotel and called home since it was getting late and to also walk and stretch my legs since we had been sitting for so long. I was so full! I messaged my friends that I was so full that if I ate another bite I would seriously throw up. …and then I walked back to the restaurant using the outside entrance since my chair was right there and the dessert menu was handed out.

OK….I’ll have the crème brulee. Hahahaha!

Luckily it took a little while before it came out and I was able to digest enough to make room for it.

westin15 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was delicious! I was sad that this restaurant was becoming something else because it was really good. It was very pricey though and probably not a place I would go with my family unless we had one special evening.

We literally rolled out when we were done and headed out front and boarded the party van for the last time of the day and made our way back to the Marriott!

It was late and we had a very long and busy day, but it was a great day too. Tomorrow we had more hotel tours, but we also had some fun/touristy things on the schedule as well. And then the hockey game at night.

It didn’t take long for me to fall asleep tonight and I didn’t stay up too late.

I am starting to think 2018 in general is just not a good year.
!
That was 2017 for us - job changes, kidney stones on vacation ( sidebar- Celebration hospital is fab if you ever need a hospital in Orlando, hopefully not!) deaths of 2 family members, flooded basement, lots of drama around job changes, and probably more that Im forgetting.

Stay strong, the good news is nothing lasts forever, even though it feels that way now! I’m glad Skips doing better and good for you in making family changes too to help him out!

I love the new 280 bridge, so much faster! I think we’ve been stopped for the drawbridge 3 or 4 times; it was always neat to see!

That was 2017 for us - job changes, kidney stones on vacation ( sidebar- Celebration hospital is fab if you ever need a hospital in Orlando, hopefully not!) deaths of 2 family members, flooded basement, lots of drama around job changes, and probably more that Im forgetting.

2013 was a bad year for us too. I sure hope this isn't on a 5 year loop for us now.

Stay strong, the good news is nothing lasts forever, even though it feels that way now! I’m glad Skips doing better and good for you in making family changes too to help him out!

He's doing good and he is actually taking it easy, which is amazing.

I love the new 280 bridge, so much faster! I think we’ve been stopped for the drawbridge 3 or 4 times; it was always neat to see!

That new bridge is the scariest thing ever. LOL.

Can you remember which Westin it was? We use the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort quite a bit for customers, but I think there are at least two Westins there.

That's the one!

That looks absolutely delicious.

The food was good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter