Almost 1st timer to Universal - any insight?

TamaraH

Mouseketeer
I know these discussions have probably taken place before so I apologize for the duplication. We are wanting to plan a one day Universal trip (we will be staying with family in Long Beach so not near the park) and I have not been for about 35 years! So basically, it's like our first time as I know everything has probably changed (and even if it hasn't I won't remember anyway LOL). Here are my questions - any insight would be greatly appreciated:
  • Timeframe: We have three different times we are thinking of - 2nd week of October, 1st week of the new year, or first part of March. What are the advantages and disadvantages of any of those times if any? Crowd levels, special events, etc.
  • Tickets: What is the best option for purchasing tickets? Directly, Costco, GetAWay, etc? Any money saving tips? How much is parking?
  • Approach for the day: Any day trip suggestions on how to efficiently and effectively experience the park, rides, and Harry Potter?
  • Budget: Are the food prices similar to Disneyland? What kind of a budget is reasonable for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 girls -12yrs and 10yrs).
  • Any other tips or insights?
Thanks so much!

2nd week of October will be slow. 1st week of the New Year is typically slow after Jan 2nd. First part of March is busier than the other two but very manageable.
If you buy through the Universal website you get early entry to Wizarding World. That might be worth the extra $5 over Costco.
Most people start the day at Wizarding World then to the tram. If you do not choose early entry I would suggest Minions first, then lower lot then the tour towards the end of the day and spend the last couple of hours in Wizarding World.
Food prices are similar to Disney.

2nd week of October will be slow. 1st week of the New Year is typically slow after Jan 2nd. First part of March is busier than the other two but very manageable.
If you buy through the Universal website you get early entry to Wizarding World. That might be worth the extra $5 over Costco.
Most people start the day at Wizarding World then to the tram. If you do not choose early entry I would suggest Minions first, then lower lot then the tour towards the end of the day and spend the last couple of hours in Wizarding World.
Food prices are similar to Disney.
Oh good to know. Thank you!

Not an expert, but we just got back from USH so I'll try and pitch in with some answers.

Timeframe: I know USH has Halloween Horror Nights in October, the park stays open later on those nights. Sorry, I don't have any other insights on this.

Tickets: We purchased the annual pass from Costco. It's $10 off right now, so $120. Almost the same price as a full day, but it does have a ton of blackout dates. We figured even if we only made 1 or 2 more trips this year, it was worth it. But definitely compare prices at getawaytoday and arestravel.com to the universal website, depending on what days you are looking at. The only disadvantage is not getting early admission if you buy from an outside source, but if you get there at general opening time, you should still be fine. Parking was $25 for general parking. You can pay more for preferred parking, but if you get there early enough, I think you'll be fine with regular. http://origin-www.universalstudioshollywood.com/parking-and-transportation/

Approach: Harry Potter first. The line for Forbidden Journey was about 45 minutes when we got there, but it moved pretty quickly. We watched it the rest of the day and didn't really see the wait time go down, but we were there on a busy day. Also, get in line for the Ollivanders wand shop show early, you don't want to miss it if you're HP fans. If you really want to maximize your experience and you've got the extra cash, you can purchase a front of the line pass or the VIP experience, which I have heard great things about.

Another possible time saver option is the single rider lines at Forbidden Journey, Jurassic park, Mummy and Transformers.

Budget: Prices seemed similar to Disneyland. Budget $12-$18 for an adult meal and $7-$9 for a child's. We ordered the Great Feast at Three Broomsticks, it was $65 but it came with a TON of food for our family of 6. There are other restaurant options and fast food options in CityWalk just outside the park. Butterbeers are $7 in a regular cup or $12 for a souvenir mug. oh and speaking of butterbeers....

Other tips or insights: This is our little secret, ok? Do not let everyone figure this out, but if you see a really really long line at the Butterbeer carts, go into Hogshead Pub and you will have practically NO wait at all to order your butterbeers. But DO NOT let anyone else know this ;-)

Also, you can ask for First Visit pins at guest services.

Last edited:

I agree with all StageTek said, only issue is first week of January might be busier than usual as I know our school district has Christmas break through 1/8 this year, as does LAUSD (biggest in the area). October will be best for crowds, but the park usually closes at 6:00. It will be open later in early March, but then you'll have college spring breaks starting. If you're only going for one day buy through the USH website to get your early entry!

Oh and like Deb said, get your butterbeer in the Pub (sorry it's not a secret to anyone who has an AP!). Don't miss the moving hog and you can get the HP beers at the same time, plus they sell hot butterbeer (the best) there in the winter and do not carry it at the cart.

I don't know when the best time to go is (we went 3rd week of January). But I will say we bought season passes from costco for the same price as a one day ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!