Alternatives to Aulani :(

Mommy2Logan

Mouseketeer
We are looking at canceling our October trip and booking elsewhere in the mainland. Anyone have any recommendations for a resort, maybe in Florida, where there is an awesome water slide? Doesn't need to be Disney. In fact, probably better it isn't because my son's dad isn't too impressed with the WDW resorts given the price.

Not sure if they’re open now, but there’s Coco Cay in Orlando with it’s built-in water park. If you wanted some beach time too, the Holiday Inn timeshare at Port Canaveral has a pretty fun water area plus mini-golf and all sorts of other kids activities and it’s on the beach. Nether of those are very swanky resorts, but we’ve stayed at the port a few times and enjoyed it.

We’re more fond of the gulf beaches, but I really don’t know of any with a particularly great slide. There is a Margaritaville resort on Pensacola Beach which is fun if you’re an aviation buff—it’s the home of the Blue Angels and you can visit the air museum there.

And not at the beach, but the Great Wolf Lodges seem pretty fun and you’re not dependent on weather. Of course, when I think waterpark, I think outside, but throwing out the idea. Plus most outdoor waterparks (besides Disney) close after Labor Day, so think of that.

Hope that gives you some to ponder until someone with better info comes along!

Thank you for the suggestions! I agree; Gulf side is better. Just trying to be open to anything different that I normally wouldn't consider. We have GWL here a couple hours away in Co Springs so will probably head there in a few weeks when it opens.

We like Orange Beach and Gulf Shores here in Alabama. We just got back from the Caribe Resort in Orange Beach. It has some good waterslides, but it is not directly on the beach. It has 2 indoor and several outdoor pools. It has at least 3 water slides.

The resort things to do were fun, but we wish it was closer to the beach. You have to walk about 15 minutes or drive.

I have not stayed at either of these but they are on my list for the future because my family loves great pools with lazy rivers and waterslides.

The Grove looks pretty nice and is fairly new
https://www.groveresortorlando.com/offers_packages_deals/
This is a Hyatt property I have been wanting to stay at for quite a while.
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/f...and-spa/naprn?src=corp_lclb_gmb_seo_nam_naprn
Oh yes. Either of these are far superior to anything on the gulf. Although I do still live the gulf sand best, there are no resorts like these. Thanks for sharing! Don’t know if we’ll ever try one, but nice to know they’re there!

We are looking at canceling our October trip and booking elsewhere in the mainland. Anyone have any recommendations for a resort, maybe in Florida, where there is an awesome water slide? Doesn't need to be Disney. In fact, probably better it isn't because my son's dad isn't too impressed with the WDW resorts given the price.
Four Seasons Orlando has a pool complex that rivals Stormalong Bay. It isn't cheap, but it does often offer a fourth night free deal. And if you book via certain travel agencies, you can get a full free breakfast each day. It's within the Disney gates.

Have you considered any of the Universal resorts in Orlando? They are various price points and I think most of them have slides. Cabana Bay is on par with WDW value resort pricing and has a great slide and lazy river. Its also walking distance to Volcano Bay, Universal's waterpark. All of the resorts provide transportation or are in walking distance to City Walk, which is akin to Disney Springs on a smaller scale, so there's some great dining options there. You don't need Universal park admission to go there, its free. We really enjoy the Universal resorts, and wouldn't hesitate to stay there even if we weren't visiting a Universal park.

PP mentioned a Margaritaville resort in Pensacola. There's also one in Orlando with a big water complex and a small shopping/dining district. Its relatively new and I've never stayed there, but the pics look awesome and its definitely on my list to try.

I can’t remember if their pool had a water slide, but the Catamaran resort in San Diego is Hawaiian themed and is right on the beach. There is a Duke’s in La Jolla as well, so you can experience some of the same feels.

We like Orange Beach and Gulf Shores here in Alabama. We just got back from the Caribe Resort in Orange Beach. It has some good waterslides, but it is not directly on the beach. It has 2 indoor and several outdoor pools. It has at least 3 water slides.
View attachment 507442

View attachment 507443

View attachment 507444

The resort things to do were fun, but we wish it was closer to the beach. You have to walk about 15 minutes or drive.

Looks like it would be fun! Did they require social distancing on the slides and other activities? I sure hope so!

Looks like it would be fun! Did they require social distancing on the slides and other activities? I sure hope so!
There were signs everywhere. Most people were very respectful of each other's space. No one seemed to be enforcing it, though. The hot tubs and steam rooms were closed. We had plenty of room at the beach and in all of the pools. We did not eat in any restaurants and just got food to go. Restaurants in the area did not look to be social distancing well.

Might just make plans for National WaterPark Day at the fairly new Grove Resort recommended by AlohaMom.
I can also second the recommendation for Cabana Bay at Universal
or H2O WaterPark and Margaritaville Resort located close to AK .

There were signs everywhere. Most people were very respectful of each other's space. No one seemed to be enforcing it, though. The hot tubs and steam rooms were closed. We had plenty of room at the beach and in all of the pools. We did not eat in any restaurants and just got food to go. Restaurants in the area did not look to be social distancing well.
My friend who lives down there noted they’ve had a big spike as well since opening things back up. From pics friends have posted, it’s pretty busy down there—but every beach town probably looks like that right now. I know people are stir crazy and at least that’s outside.

My friend who lives down there noted they’ve had a big spike as well since opening things back up. From pics friends have posted, it’s pretty busy down there—but every beach town probably looks like that right now. I know people are stir crazy and at least that’s outside.
The beach we went to had limited parking which helped a lot in less people being there. I'm sure other beaches are much busier. I think everyone I know has been making trips to the beach even more this summer because there are not many places to go. Stir craziness is definitely happening. :)

Is there a particular reason why you are looking for a place in the US only? There are plenty of places in the Caribbean that are now open for American tourism that I think are probably just as nice if not better for a beach vacation.

Phoenix and Las Vegas are close to you and have great on-site water parks/pools. October, in Phoenix is a great time of the year, before snowbirds so hotels offer great deals

I did see that Four Seasons Orlando is offering a $200 resort credit per day, so we are considering that.
We just got back from there, and it was wonderful. The best lazy river we've ever been in. Great pools & waterslides. Great rooms & service. A good character breakfast (Saturdays only) at Ravello.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!