Alternatives to DVC

HatboxHaint

GrimGrinningGhost
Anyone looked into buying a rental property as an alternative to DVC? Anyone have any info about neighborhoods to share?

If you want an investment, buy rental property. If you want to vacation at Disney and stay on property, buy DVC. As a landlord myself, I wouldn't count on that rental property to be available whenever you want to stay in it, plus unless you live close by you'll need to have a property manager to see to the leasing and maintenance, inspecting it after every tenant...and assuming you mean offering it weekly or so to vacationers, that will take a lot of work...and then you pray no one trashes the place, or steals anything. Heck, I've had annual lessees that have trashed places. I have one now that I've had to take down to the walls, painting, replacing the flooring, cabinets, appliances, and the verdict is still out on the AC, the control board may have been purposefully shorted...rental properties can be a pain...you really need several to make a decent profit, and try not to have high mortgages. I have 4 duplexes and a rent house. It isn't for the under capitalized or the investment squeamish.

We looked at buying a vacation property but it doesn't make much sense with the current prices of VRBO/airbnb. You can get an entire month near Disney for ~2k pretty easily.

We currently live 20 minutes from WDW, but are moving (building a house) 10 minutes from the Vero Beach Resort.

I find that is a very good alternative.

We currently live 20 minutes from WDW, but are moving (building a house) 10 minutes from the Vero Beach Resort.

I find that is a very good alternative.

Yeah if you live in FL. I have four grandchildren all in NJ, there is no way I'm moving to FL and leaving my grandbabies behind. I always wanted to move to FL but I'm afraid that window has closed for me now that I have grandchildren. On a side note I think my husband is very happy about that. DVC works very well for us at this time in our lives and the kids/grandkids can join us every other year or so. It works for us and we have no headaches with tenants.

Celebration is the only neighborhood I would consider, but I believe prices there have skyrocketed in the past couple years. We looked at homes and condos there about 20 years ago when a home could be purchased for under 150K and condos around 80K if I remember correctly. DH and I have had many discussions regarding this subject, but price, taxes, insurance and maintenance and as others mentioned - possible damage from renters is not an acceptable risk for us.

We own multiple smallish contracts so we can peel one off at a time if need be and they sell quickly and for a premium. We can add to our "collection" if desired. We can spend many weeks in a studio, do a studio and then 1 BR for less time or a 1 BR for the entire vacation not to mention banking and borrowing strategies. We can always pay cash for a couple nights or "buy" the extra use points from DVC if necessary. Disney takes care of all the stuff we don't want to deal with and we don't mind paying dues to have them deal with it. We're planners so don't mind making reservations at 11 months.

To each his own I guess, but DVC works (and has worked since 1996) for us.

Yeah if you live in FL. I have four grandchildren all in NJ, there is no way I'm moving to FL and leaving my grandbabies behind. I always wanted to move to FL but I'm afraid that window has closed for me now that I have grandchildren. On a side note I think my husband is very happy about that. DVC works very well for us at this time in our lives and the kids/grandkids can join us every other year or so. It works for us and we have no headaches with tenants.
Certainly it’s all about what works for you...
For us it worked.

We lived in Connecticut for most of our lives. I watched my father in retirement who always wanted to move south, but never did because of my mothers desire to stay with family in New England.

Granted, we are a bit different as we have no children. But... we still have family up north.
We just said no, I’m not going to do what my father did (submitted to my mother).
We chose to move to our little area of paradise.

Obviously others, like you, are different. That’s great if that’s what is important for you and your family.

Certainly it’s all about what works for you...
For us it worked.

We lived in Connecticut for most of our lives. I watched my father in retirement who always wanted to move south, but never did because of my mothers desire to stay with family in New England.

Granted, we are a bit different as we have no children. But... we still have family up north.
We just said no, I’m not going to do what my father did (submitted to my mother).
We chose to move to our little area of paradise.

Obviously others, like you, are different. That’s great if that’s what is important for you and your family.

My situation is just the opposite, my dad wanted to be a snowbird and go to FL for the winter months when he retired and that's exactly what he did. They would go to FL from the beginning of Nov through April, this meant my parents where away for all the "big" family holidays. I know my mother hated it, she didn't like being away for so long and missing all the holidays with the grandkids. I think if they had gone maybe from Jan 2 through April she wouldn't have minded so much but my dad was the boss and he wasn't going to bend on this issue (mom submitted to dad). That being said they are both gone now and are still missed. Thanks to my DVC my husband and I go to FL for several weeks in Jan/Feb which is all the time my husband wants to be away from home at this time. Maybe in the future this will change. I could see buying a condo on the west cost at some point in time.

Than a bungalow during X-mas, but not much.

Just for fun, to stay in a Poly bungalow from 12/23 to 1/2 it costs 1871 points, which at today price of $235 pp, it would cost $439,685 to buy direct. Paying "just" 3 millions for a house in Golden Oak you get a bigger house and 365 days vs 10 days but with the castle view at the Poly. Decisions, decisions, which one to choose?

Last edited:
I have looked into it but not as a replacement for my DVC but rather a place that I could winter in and possibly rent out somewhat for a year or so until we were at a point where we could cover costs without rentals But, my hubby is not a Florida person so we decided against it.

The more I go to Disney the more I realize I liked being on property. But there were some resort type places that we considered. Windsor Hills and Celebration were top of the list.

My situation is just the opposite, my dad wanted to be a snowbird and go to FL for the winter months when he retired and that's exactly what he did. They would go to FL from the beginning of Nov through April, this meant my parents where away for all the "big" family holidays. I know my mother hated it, she didn't like being away for so long and missing all the holidays with the grandkids. I think if they had gone maybe from Jan 2 through April she wouldn't have minded so much but my dad was the boss and he wasn't going to bend on this issue (mom submitted to dad). That being said they are both gone now and are still missed. Thanks to my DVC my husband and I go to FL for several weeks in Jan/Feb which is all the time my husband wants to be away from home at this time. Maybe in the future this will change. I could see buying a condo on the west cost at some point in time.

What kind of points situation do you have? Do you shoot for a certain resort or the best value like old key west? Do you find the accommodations nice and disney enough at the lower tiers like OKW and SS?

What kind of points situation do you have? Do you shoot for a certain resort or the best value like old key west? Do you find the accommodations nice and disney enough at the lower tiers like OKW and SS?

This year we are going for two weeks to WDW staying at BWV, the first week in a 2 bedroom boardwalk view villa with our daughter and family, the second week it will just be hubby and me and we will be in a standard view studio. After this we are going to Vero Beach for the first time staying in a one bedroom for a full week.

We will still have a couple hundred points left over to bank into next year when we hope to take all children/grandchildren and stay in grand villa at BWV. We usually always stay at BWV because this is our home resort, it's our favorite resort and its where my husband prefers to stay. We find the accommodations to be very nice and "Disney" enough, we love the boardwalk view, pretty much the best view at WDW IMHO.

When it is just the two of us traveling we usually always get a one bedroom boardwalk view villa but this past Jan (2019) we decided to try a one bedroom standard view for two weeks, we were on the forth floor and had a great view. We could see the fireworks from Epcot, we could see Morocco and the balloon at Disney Springs. When the gondolas start running we will be able to see them too, I would say that is a pretty good view and very Disney! Lots of eye candy!

I have never stayed at OKW or SS so I can't comment on those resorts but based on what others have said they are nice resorts. I'm sure all the resorts are nice, we all have different tastes so some I will really love and you may not. That's the beauty of DVC there is something for each of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter