Am I crazy even to be considering this???

CJK

DIS Veteran
Yup. I know we just got back from our trip a week ago and I'm already trying to figure out how we can swing another!

Here's the dilemma.....
For the first time ever, we bought annual passes so I'm bent and determined to get good use out of 'em. Dh has never seen WDW at Christmas and I haven't in 10yrs. I'd love to try to go for a few days in early December. The problem is $$$ - and lack of it!

Do any of you have any money saving tips to share? We'd likely try priceline for a cheap motel (staying onsite isn't possible even with the discount codes). I don't know what to do about flights or renting a car down there. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Maybe flying out of Buffalo?

Thanks everyone!

How about going in early January? That would give you an extra month to save...the flights should be good and cheap then....hotels will be almost empty so rates should be really good. And if you go right after the new year, the Xmas decorations will still be up!

Not to be really cheap, but, you could decide to skip buying each other Xmas gifts, and have your trip instead. Perhaps family/ friends could give you cash instead of gifts, say, one nights hotel cost? Not sure how well that would fly - my family would be speechless. In fact, I can just picture their mouths dropping!

Then there's always the KD diet...!

My boyfriend thought the same thing after we came back in May! It was his first trip to Disney and he absolutely loved it! We'd go back sooner too but I can't get any more vacation time from work ... :(

What kind of hotel discounts can you get from your APs? I've heard those are pretty good ... What about staying offsite or at the Courtyard Marriott in DD, they've got that $20.02/night rate going.

You could also try some of the reward programs ... I do Disney Awards, Creation Rewards and Mypoints among others. Everyone laughs at me, but I've already got $50 Disney Dollars from one program ... so hey it works :) Check out the Rewards Program board ... Or let me know if you want a referal :p

I'd love to hear everyone else's ideas ... :)

I would definitely consider flying out of Buffalo. We live in Calgary and are making the trek down to Spokane as the savings for my family of 6 is apx. $1800. If your not already an entertainment book owner, visit entertainmentbook.com to see their list of hotels in Orlando. Call the hotels that interest you and say that your an entertainment book member to find out their rates during your stay. If the rates justify it, buy an Orlando book at apx. $45 Cdn. You will also be able to use the book for great savings for restaurants and smaller attractions.

Gary

I don't think you're crazy to be considering it CJK, but I am wondering if you're related to Cdnmickeylover? ;) :)

If you do go to WDW this December CJK, think about signing up for some DisCon meets. You would meet lots of DISer's and have a blast!! :)

Thanks everyone!!! Maybe Cdnmickeylover is my long lost cousin? ;) Thanks for the tips. We do have the entertainment book (Toronto) so I'll have to look through it to see if it could help. Bunnyfoo, if I didn't already belong to the reward programs you mentioned, I'd definitely get you as my referral! Sorry!

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to try and do some serious research today!

I can understand how you feel and maybe we are long lost cousins at some point. My suggestion for saving money has to do with food. Take it with you. We drive so it's easier for us to do it but it made a big difference to our budget. Even if we flew I think we would still take food or go grocery shopping there (which we did as well and were amazed at the prices). We did fly once and went to a grocery store and bought a styrofoam cooler and used ice to keep milk etc. cold. Worked well. I wish I could go in December but no $$ and it's a busy time of year at work b/c year end is coming up at that time.

Cdnmickeylover

Early December is empty and cheap. How about driving? Check Southwest Airlines online. Wait 'til last minute for Hotel and try Skyauction. Do not go for cheapest hotel. Try Hampton Inns if only two of you as rooms can be got for 40US and includes breakfast and many have shuttle to parks....

Good Luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter