Am I crazy? Wife can’t go...

If your wife is truly okay with this I think it's a great idea!

Many moons ago when I was prego with our 3rd (she is 15 now) I was put on modified bed rest at the tail end of my middle trimester until delivery. (Long Story) Needless to say a trip to WDW was not going to be allowed for me. Our two older kids were 5 and 3 at the time. We had a WDW 5 night getaway planned and paid for leaving two days after I got benched. Originally, I was going to go (we live in Florida) and just stay at the resort but my husband convinced me this would be a good time for some guy bonding with his sons before the new baby arrived. Besides, he rightly pointed out to me that I had been with our boys without him before and just because he didn't get as much time with them each day as I did he was capable of handling our children. I admit since I was a SHAM back then I was a bit apprehensive. I'm happy to report they not only survive but they had the time of their lives. Also, if I'm being 100% honest once they were gone I really enjoyed the five days of solitude.

Some tips for taking littles alone:
Strollers are your friend! They are great for keeping everyone together and safe especially in crowds. They also help with a place to store stuff.
Not sure if your flying or driving but at 4 & 5 I would let them each have a bag/backpack with crayons, small toys ect to entertain them on the trip.
If flying you can gate check the stroller.
This is not a trip to book that butt crack of dawn or red eye flight to save cash. Book flights that work on the kids time table. Pay the extra for seats that are all together!
If driving to Florida allow for many breaks and since your the only adult behind that wheel don't push yourself with too many hours of driving.
Get a decent hand free bag for in the parks. Backpacks are wonderful.
Since you have a daughter and son know where family bathrooms are in the parks and use these.
Buffets and food court meals can be tough with only one set of adult hands.
Breakfast brought from home eaten in the room before you leave is a huge time saver and cost cutter.
Hungry kids often equals crabby kids. Pack snacks & have them easily accessible at all times.
Sunscreen is a must in Florida even if it's cold and grey day.
Florida weather right after Thanksgiving can be hot or cold. Packing layers is your best bet. Have a jacket because once the sun goes down in the evenings the temperature will drop.
Hopefully you will not need them but bring the kids health insurance cards just in case. Basic meds like kids Tylenol is good to have on hand as well.
Have a plan but know with kids you also have to be flexible. Sometimes it's worth missing a hard fought for fast pass to regroup and chill at the hotel for a while if that is what a child needs.
Most attractions can fit 2 small children and an adult in one car but know there are a few that won't allow this.

Have fun and create memories with your children! Congrats on the new baby!

Last edited:
I guess I would be the minority wife. lol. If the trip was booked and medically I wasn't cleared to go, I'd definitely send you 3. I would get a nice quiet house to relax and you would get some very important daddy/kiddo time before baby comes. Just make sure you have a general plan for the day (which park you want to visit, if you need to return to the hotel to rest in the afternoon, where you want to eat, what time parades/fireworks/etc happen) and also be willing to be super flexible on it. I'll be taking my almost 3 year old on a mommy/daughter trip this winter and can't wait for the change of pace! Congrats on the new baby!

I've done it. And I'm doing it again this winter. It is an adjustment if you are used to having your spouse with you but it is totally doable and something your kids will remember forever.

Totally agree ! Last 2 of 3 trips I took the kids (7 and 12) sans my wife -(she could not get the time off of work) Its a different experience, and my wife is the "packer", so more difficult in that regard - (just my personal experience) - on the other hand, I am the calmer one (DW gets everyone up super early and the kids like to sleep later) so the trips were much more relaxed ! Plus, really bonded with DD during these trips , so major plus ! If your wife is ok with it, GO ! enjoy !

I mean every family works differently.... my DH and I do trips as a family and we do separate ones. In all cases, we love our time with our kiddo just as much as we enjoy our time off from parenting!

My case is a little different in that I only have one child... but I have done 3 trips with just me and my dd. My husband just doesn’t love WDW like I do so he likes taking a pass on a few trips. Here is the thing - WDW is the easiest place to fly solo as a parent. Literally every one is so willing to help out. Cast members are super helpful.... other parents will help you out. I rarely even need to ask and people are just so helpfu. It’s part of the reason I love Disney - it just seems like everyone is watching out for each other.

My biggest recommendation for you on your trip is avoid buffets and have a lot of food in your hotel room... e.g. snacks, breakfast, etc. it’s not easy for one parent to run to the QS to grab milk for your kiddo or whatever. I have used amazon prime now and been pretty happy.

My dd doesn’t care for thrill rides so that isn’t an issue for us.... but I think you should be fine with the seating arrangements, As long as you ride with them - the age issue will not come up.

I think you will have a lovely time and I think your wife would prob enjoy some solo mommy time while pregnant! If you have any questions feel free to DM.

I have been taking DS to WDW on my own since he was 3 (he is 10 now). My DH comes occasionally, but I've been there alone with DS at least 20 times. It is certainly easier since I only have one child, but I think you can do it. As PP's have pointed out, bathrooms will be something to navigate. I would definitely map out where the companion bathrooms are. I would highly recommend eating breakfast in the room and even considering doing 2 TS a day. QS and buffets were nearly impossible when he was younger and I was on my own. From balancing plates and trays to trying to get utensils and a place to sit - it was not fun. Take a look at which rides you can do as a party of 3 with only one adult. If you can afford it, stay at a resort that is most convenient to the park/parks you will be going to the most. Use a double stroller - I would probably rent one from an outside vendor that delivers to the resort (we like Kingdom Strollers). Buses will be difficult with folding a stroller and looking after two little ones. The monorail, walking and boats are your friends.

Edited to add: If your wife is ok with it, I would go. When I was pregnant with DS, my DH took my two stepsons on a trip alone. I was fine with it and kind of enjoyed the quiet while they were away. DH has zero issue with me taking DS to WDW on my own.

1st off, Long time listener/reader 1st time poster

So here is the deal, I have been to the world several times, I used to go twice a year as a kid with my family, having 2 uncles in West palm and another in Georgia we were always there so I am very familiar with the parks and I have been 4 times now as an adult.

We took our kids ds5 and dd4 in March and they instantly fell in love. We took over the family produce farm this spring and both of them have been busting there buts ( I’m very proud of how they are working hard twords there goal... of going back to Disney, and working on some savings)

We were pregnant again when we there in March and unfortunately suffered a miscarriage shortly after. We found out we were pregnant again about 4 weeks ago YAY! But my dw started having some of the same symptoms... so she has pretty much been put on bed rest, with the exception of being slowed to go to work and it is highly unlikely that she will be able to travel with us in November (we have booked a stay for the week after thanksgiving)

So... I do not want to let my kids down, they have been working so hard and are looking forward to going down, plus I need a vacation after working 2 jobs all summer. So I am contemplating taking them by myself, we have plenty of family around to help my wife while we would be gone. However I am extremely nervous about being by myself with both of them, my brother lives in Tampa and would probably do 1 day with us but for the rest of the week I would be on my own.

So I guess what I am really asking here is for input from any parents that have done a trip with kids on there own, and not that I don’t have respect for the single parents out there, but you would be more adapt to handling that. So is there any parents out there that have left there s/o at home and went on there own with kids? What was your experience like? Was it difficult? Is there any recommendations?

Like I said I am a veteran so I am familiar with the parks however not on this level, any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated before I make a decision here.
I think it's a great idea to give the kids some undivided attention and father-child bonding time before the baby is born and becomes the center of attention. That will be good for them & for their feelings about the baby.

I'm a mother & am always happy when my son gets to experience a special family event or trip, even if I can't attend. I know it isn't always all about me. Your wife sounds like she's the same way.

1st of all THANK YOU very much to all of you that took the time to give your input.

To answer some of the sediments that have been said in this post, I would not be asking this without 1st talking to the misses about this extensively, she is definitely on board with me doing this if she is not able to come ( we are still holding on to hope that she will be able to come with us) my parents are 200 yds away and her parents are 20 min. Away if she would need anything or help. With that being said we do not want to let the kids down... like I originally said, they are working very hard twords this ( they won’t be spending any of there hard earned savings, they just think this is an end reward for there hard work) And so we are clear on this, I do not force my kids to work, when they want to work they work, otherwise they are free to play/relax when they want to, I was forced to work a lot when i was there age and I know what that is like, I would never put that on my kids. Different generation, different raising.

As far as postponing the trip... she is due in March and by the time we would be ready to travel and do this we will already be into planting season again, also we are planning on returning again in late fall/winter of 2019, If this was the kids 1st time there is no way I would take that experience away from her.

That being said I feel like my biggest anxiety’s/fears would be the bathroom breaks and rides. I am glad to hear there are family bathrooms, I didn’t realize that and will definitely mapping them out and use them. As for the rides we did sdmt 2 times when we there in March and both of them enjoyed it very much, dd was to short to do thunder and splash and is deff looking forward to it this time as she is tall enough now, ds is all about the thrill rides, so as long as I can sit behind them, or we can fit all of us in a row (we are all on the smaller/skinier side) we should be good there as long as the cm let us. let alone they have been seeing all the commercials and advertisements for toy story land and are both super pumped for sdd and swirling saucers, my brother and his family will be doing a full day with us at hs our 1st day. So that shouldn’t be an issue.

The double stroller will definitely be in use, we used it in March and I don’t think I would go without it. Also I am very thankful for the input on the dinning, I didn’t put any consideration into the buffets/quick service so thanks for the heads up there. We will be doing rope drops as we are usually up at about 5 to start picking and getting stuff ready for auction and the stand, so sleeping in until 6/7 and getting to a park would be easy, a afternoon break with a nap and pool time is in the equation for sure and then to bed early after an afternoon in a park.

I would also soak up the dad/kid bonding time I love my kids very much and enjoy every minute I get to spend with them, that was very re assuring to hear, I feel that they are both very well behaved and this could be a blessing in disguise if it is what ends up happening.

Thanks again to everyone!

Last edited:

I'm gonna play devil's advocate:

Like I said I am a veteran so I am familiar with the parks
But are you a veteran of solo outings with your kids?
I was always taking my kids to the zoo, local amusement parks and weekend get-a-ways solo, so Disney is no problem. Maybe take some 'practice' solo trips with the kids - the mall, hit the food court (aka quick service), the playground and out to dinner. Just to get a feel for the dynamic. (My favorite was every sit down meal it seemed one kid had to go the bathroom and I had to schlep all 3 kids to the bathroom leaving our food on the table hoping no one touched it.)

I

That being said I feel like my biggest anxiety’s/fears would be the bathroom breaks and rides. I am glad to hear there are family bathrooms, I didn’t realize that and will definitely mapping them out and use them.
I wouldn't count on family bathrooms. There aren't many and never convenient to where you need them. Have another plan? Honestly, I would plan to bring the kids into the Men's room with you. Cover DD's eyes as you walk to the stall if needed. Maybe the 2 kids can take turns in the stall while you use a different "facility". I'd scout out the Men's rooms and see which routes to take/sinks to use to avoid any unwelcome sights. (As a Mom this one is much easier.)

As for the rides we did sdmt 2 times when we there in March and both of them enjoyed it very much, dd was to short to do thunder and splash and is deff looking forward to it this time as she is tall enough now, ds is all about the thrill rides, so as long as I can sit behind them, or we can fit all of us in a row (we are all on the smaller/skinier side) we should be good there as long as the cm let us. let alone they have been seeing all the commercials and advertisements for toy story land and are both super pumped for sdd and swirling saucers, my brother and his family will be doing a full day with us at hs our 1st day. So that shouldn’t be an issue.
From my experience, Disney is not going to allow a 4 & 5 together alone in a row, even with you behind them. I've been told no and had to move kids around with older kids than that. (My 6 year old could not sit with the 11 year old, needed to be an adult). I would be prepared to not do SDMT or barnstormer. Thunder (I think) and Splash can fit 3 to a row. I know there are threads on here about seat configuration - I've read them.

I would do lots of research. It will be different than all your other trips. There will be different things you need to know.

And finally make sure the kids know they won't get to do everything they want at Disney, it just won't be logistically possible. And that the kids are fine with leaving Mom behind.

I'm just posting to say congrats!! We have our second due in March as well and my wife and DD (she'll be almost 2) are making our first trip in December. We too lost a pregnancy (on New Years Eve / Day this year) so I know that's painful.

I wish you all the luck if you go for it alone with the kiddos!! You can do it with planning and patience.

I can't offer more than that, so again congrats!!

I took two of our kids the week of the July 4th and it was great! Hubby took our other two to Canada and our 5 year old and 11 year and me went to Disney. I ended up renting a stroller and buying one of those mickey looking fans for the 5 year old. I made sure she had something to drink and snack on ALL day long. What really helped me was mapping out EVERYTHING. I even did a bunch of character dining for lunch the days we were in the parks, and one dinner. And when we went to disney springs I had a reservation at two places there. Because I knew me going by myself with two kids, I did not want to fight lines at quick services places and then trying to carry food and trying to find a table for us to sit down to eat. But you can do it and it will be so much fun.

I go a few times a year without DH. DS is 9, DD is 10 1/2 months. It isn't bad alone, although DS and I did have to slow down with DD. Going on your own is very doable. You'll have a great time with the kids........but, if you are able to wait until wife can join you, she can wait while other child goes on a ride with you. Logistically that would be helpful ( if as a pp said they won't let them ride side by side on two seater rides etc) Or you could go on an amazing Disney vacation as a family of 5 a few months after baby has arrived. Then everyone can share in the family fun and make great magical memories! Congratulations on the upcoming blessing, and lots of good thoughts coming your way for your wife during this pregnancy :)
Also, we really took advantage of using Kids Nite Out on our last trip. They can help you in the parks, with the ride situation.....if another adult is needed.
If you are due in March, hopefully your wife will be clear to join you! We went through a m/c a year before DD. DH came with DS and I when I was 6 months pregnant with DD, so that DS would be able to go on all rides. Your wife will still have fun, I rode some rides, but also did a lot of waiting lol. I was happy to have the family experience with the three of us before adding to our family though.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter