Am I just cheap?

susanccr

Earning My Ears
I was spoiled by the early days of free dining where we ate at great TS restaurants with appetizers, entrees and desserts...for free! Last time we went to Disney we bought the quick service DP, which I felt was a little steep.
Now I am planning our trip for May and I think we are just going to eat and pay as we go. I was thinking we may splurge on a nice dinner maybe on our last night like Ohanas (which I haven't been to since free dining). I mean, I know it's delicious and I know eating out on vacation is obviously more than at "home" but is it really worth $250 for a family of four?? Don't even get me started on the luau at Poly. I know it's a show too but wow. We spend a lot of money on a DW vacation for room and tickets but We can barely afford to eat!! Am I just too cheap??
Sorry so long. Maybe I just needed to vent

IMHO, the only good thing about Disney restaurant prices is that in comparison they make airport food seem affordable, LOL.

Lol. Doesn’t work for my home airport, as SeaTac doesn’t do airport pricing if the restaurant has locations outside of the airport.

I get used to that and am constantly surprised at other airports.

I remember the days of app, entree, desert, and TIP. Those were the days when even the values got the regular DDP. Over the years they have taken so many things away when it comes to dining. We don't pay for the dining plan but don't mind getting it free. DH and I do better OOP because we share many meals and don't bother with desert. Going for 11 days and have 2 ADR's the rest will be QS. It is freeing not to be tied down to ADR's but like I said if it's free we take advantage. So no I don't think you are cheap the dining plan only works if you eat that way and get the most expensive item on the menu.

I was just considering adding the DDP for the first two nights of our trip (we are doing a split stay), and when I called and priced it out, it would cost us $300/night, so $600 for the two nights :scared1::scared1::scared1:

That is absolutely insane! We would NEVER eat $600 worth of food in two nights! BTW, it is four of us, two adults and two teens, but my teens don't eat a lot…14 yo DD still likes to order from the kid's menu. The two adults, myself and DM don't drink much alcohol so this is just totally not worth it for us. We'll just pay OOP for our food.

All of my last 5 trips I had the DDP; I've always liked the pre-pay kind of mind set. We we just don't eat that much. This is my first trip without doing the DDP. It feels a little weird, but I'm happy with my decision and it will definitely save me money! Getting GC's every month to help with the pre-pay mindset.

There are a few tools on the internet that can help with seeing if dining plan is more or less than what you would have spent out of pocket. Personally, I've not used the DDP since the good 'ol days as that was the last time it was cost effective for me.

For me, its really all part of the packaged vacation..
No doubt we were spoiled by free dining! The first time we had free dining, the castle was still only a single TS credit... Soon after it became 2 credits... The last time we were on the dining plan it was not free.. we paid for the Regular DDP or middle option.. 1 TS, 1 CS, 2 snack.. but i didn't think twice about the cost because it was just part of the package, part of the appeal if you will.

Then something happened.. we made a spur of the moment decision to go to WDW, by last minute I mean we left 2 days after we decided to go! So, no ADRs, no dining plan.. we went OOP. It worked well and we even squeezed in a few TS including a character meal. So, i thought, lets try that again.. on our next trip, planned well in advance.. we had several ADRs including Tusker House, Park Fare, Crystal Palace and Via Nopoli x2 (love that place)... but even though the TS were expensive, the rest of the trips meals were not (in comparison).. when we didn't have a TS we would eat at a CS once a day but the rest of the time we simply snacked... on top of a good snack in the room for breakfast... I think we saved ~$750 on that trip by not purchasing the DDP.. (The middle one)... and although $750 is not enough to make me say, NEVER again will i do the DDP.. it is significant enough to make me ponder... geez, what else could i spend that $ on...

Last time i checked, adding the DDP (middle version) was an extra 3k for a 7 day trip (party of 5: 3 adults, 2 children!) roughly $85 per day per person ($90 once you add a tip).. not terrible if you ask me.. but certainly significant enough to at least make me pause and think about it..

All of my last 5 trips I had the DDP; I've always liked the pre-pay kind of mind set. We we just don't eat that much. This is my first trip without doing the DDP. It feels a little weird, but I'm happy with my decision and it will definitely save me money! Getting GC's every month to help with the pre-pay mindset.

We also have paid for the dining plan for the past 12 years but after our Dec visit and the new 2018 plan changes, I have decided to just use the DVC discounts and use other dining alternatives (offsite/inroom). It gets out of hand worse each year.

I'm from Canada, and on our last trip with the exchange being so bad, I couldn't justify it as I was looking at $300 Canadian at least! My husband and I enjoyed the Tambu lounge instead to get our bread pudding fix while the kids enjoyed some extra time at MK. Great appetizers there and was one of our more enjoyable eating experiences over the course of our trip. (Because no kids maybe? Even cardboard would have tasted great by that time!! Ha.)

It's expensive, but not really different from most places where you're "held captive". We went to the College Football Playoff national championship game in the Mercedes Benz dome in Atlanta Monday night, and food prices were pretty much on par with Disney World prices. Same with food prices at the Superdome for last week's semifinal Sugar Bowl game.

Disney dinning plan, and meal cost in general is another topic that is always up for some kind of debate. But my thought is anywhere you vacation, travel, or attend any type of event, concert, play/theater, ball game, go to the movies, bowling... all the pricing is not cheap. Basically if you are going anywhere, its gonna cost you. You will be faced with bottles of water for around 3 to 5 bucks, beers anywhere from 8 to 12 bucks, wine 8 to 15 dollars, and meals will be a lot more than at your regular at home spots you normally dine out at. That's just the way it is.

There are a lot of ways to cut back on spending for dinning. Bringing in your own snacks during the day to munch on is a good way to save. As well as having bottled water in the room, as well as other beverages, such as Gatorade, soft drinks and even adult beverages. Sharing meals is another way to save money, or don't order appetizers and dessert or share them instead of everyone having their own. Eat in the room, but you realize you are still paying for those meals too but then what I see happens a lot is that people don't want to stop the fun to go back to their resort to eat, so sometimes that food in the room gets wasted, so then you paid even more. Also leaving the parks when you are having fun, to eat outside the gates while it may be a bit cheaper, is it worth the time, to leave the parks, between walking to your car/ getting Uber or Lyft, drive time, dinning time, getting back in the car or Uber or Lyft to get back to the parks is going to take time, figure on a 45 minutes to an hour each way to and from a restaurant back to the park, then at least a 90 minutes to eat, plus if there is a wait at the restaurant for your table, or if the kitchen is backed up.

Our friends like to eat off site, They normally eat breakfast offsite then spend the rest of the day and evening in the parks or at the resort pool, or if they are going to eat dinner off site they eat later like at 8 to 9pm or sometimes even later as once they leave the parks they aren't going back to the park, they head for their resort for pool time or going to bed early. This method works for them, but they don't do it everyday while here visiting Mickey and the Gang...

We have another friend that is a baseball nut, we have gone to the games with him and his wife, and he will not blink a eye at 8.00 to 10.00 beers or 10.00 for a hotdog and cold fries that are disgusting and look like they were thrown on the floor....gross.... or at the 755 club for nachos, a couple of BBQ sandwiches with fries and a few beers and the bill is well over 150.00 plus tip that's for 2 people... That's okay with him, but he complained non stop about a 8.00 beer at F&W and you don't even what to hear him go on and on about the cost of meals WDW... or really anywhere that isn't a ball park...

So really its about what your perception is.... on what is a fair price and what you are willing to pay for the experience.

I was spoiled by the early days of free dining where we ate at great TS restaurants with appetizers, entrees and desserts...for free! Last time we went to Disney we bought the quick service DP, which I felt was a little steep.
Now I am planning our trip for May and I think we are just going to eat and pay as we go. I was thinking we may splurge on a nice dinner maybe on our last night like Ohanas (which I haven't been to since free dining). I mean, I know it's delicious and I know eating out on vacation is obviously more than at "home" but is it really worth $250 for a family of four?? Don't even get me started on the luau at Poly. I know it's a show too but wow. We spend a lot of money on a DW vacation for room and tickets but We can barely afford to eat!! Am I just too cheap??
Sorry so long. Maybe I just needed to vent

Not cheap, but realistic.

Honestly, Ohana's not that bad compared with "real life." I live in NC and we have a local Brazilian Steakhouse, which is essentially the same thing, and it's $45 per adult for dinner. Same as Ohana, and the one here doesn't include entertainment. So for my family of four, it would cost the same to do either one. I'd much rather do Ohana!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter