Am I nuts for thinking about this?

Vent417

Earning My Ears
Am I nuts for wanting to do this? Some background, I am 44 and have been running on and off for the past 5 years. My longest race currently is the Springtime Surprise 10k last year. I’m currently training for this year’s challenge and I am averaging between 11:30 and 12 min/mile over the long runs using the Galloway training. Friends of me and my wife are talking about signing up for the 2024 Dopey. This would make it, as of now, both my first half and full. So I guess my questions are:
  • Am I nuts for even considering this?
  • For those that have done this, how did you handle training (any particular program/method)

A simple search will lead to several threads on this topic, although the discussion is if Dopey can be a first marathon and not can Dopey be both a first half marathon and marathon.

In my opinion, yes you are nuts!:) I do think, however, that you could train for, and complete, at least one half before Dopey. Then you would be at least less nuts, and will get stories and support from several active members on this board that have made Dopey their first marathon.

If you have the time and will to put in the training then you can be successful.

Edit: Here is one thread... https://www.disboards.com/threads/can-dopey-be-my-first-marathon.3677569/
I know their has been a bunch of more recent discussion if you search.

Not nuts, we've had people come in here asking about the possibility of doing Dopey from scratch in one year (can't recommend that, although I'm sure it's been done). That you're working your way up to a 10 miler next month puts you in a good position and you'll want to continue building on that. Signing up for a half later this year wouldn't be the worst idea.

Dopey is tough though, and you'll get a taste of it with the SS Challenge. Four early wakeups, four straight days of running. When you're done with the Ten Miler picture doing a race double that length the next day. Start looking at marathon training plans and figure out if it's feasible for you. There's a wide variety but no matter what plan you end up with it's a lot of time training. If you decide to jump in you'll have a bunch of people here with tips on how to prep.

Not nuts, we've had people come in here asking about the possibility of doing Dopey from scratch in one year (can't recommend that, although I'm sure it's been done). That you're working your way up to a 10 miler next month puts you in a good position and you'll want to continue building on that. Signing up for a half later this year wouldn't be the worst idea.

Dopey is tough though, and you'll get a taste of it with the SS Challenge. Four early wakeups, four straight days of running. When you're done with the Ten Miler picture doing a race double that length the next day. Start looking at marathon training plans and figure out if it's feasible for you. There's a wide variety but no matter what plan you end up with it's a lot of time training. If you decide to jump in you'll have a bunch of people here with tips on how to prep.
Unfortunately, they have to make a decision before Springtime Surprise, since MW registration is April 11.

Personally, I would just aim for Dopey 2025 instead, to get used running longer distances on a regular basis.

I went from 0 running at all to Goofy in one year. I barely even worked out before I started training, so its not like I was in shape. Could have easily done Dopey (or as easy as Dopey can be), if I had been able to take the time off for grad school. I had never done a half before registering, but ended up doing a half around September before. It is entirely possible and I don't think it is nuts at all.

Commit to and stick to the training and you will be fine.

Unfortunately, they have to make a decision before Springtime Surprise, since MW registration is April 11.

Personally, I would just aim for Dopey 2025 instead, to get used running longer distances on a regular basis.
Ack, I forgot registration is prior to this weekend (also: WHY?????).

@Vent417 since you're training for SS now, what's your current longest run?

Ack, I forgot registration is prior to this weekend (also: WHY?????).

@Vent417 since you're training for SS now, what's your current longest run?
Thank you all for the fast responses.

My longest current run was 10.85 miles including warm up and cool down which I did last Sunday as part of the Galloway program that he has on the app. So it was third day in a row of distance and I managed to have a pace of 11:30 for the whole run.

Maybe a little nuts but all runners have a bit of that in them 😝.

The biggest thing is to find a training plan that you can commit to. If you're not willing to find the time to run then don't register. The marathon is unforgiving to the undertrained. Sure you can miss a few days but you really need to stick to the training as best you can if you want to enjoy the experience.

Remember that the longest runs for Dopey (16-26 miles) will be around the holidays from Thanksgiving until New Year’s Day. Are you willing to commit to spending all those hours every week or so that may interfere with family time, Christmas shopping, parties, etc.? Know the commitment you are making in order to be successful. Pixie Dust will NOT see you through, no matter what you read on Facebook, but training will!

I went from 0 running at all to Goofy in one year. I barely even worked out before I started training, so its not like I was in shape. Could have easily done Dopey (or as easy as Dopey can be), if I had been able to take the time off for grad school. I had never done a half before registering, but ended up doing a half around September before. It is entirely possible and I don't think it is nuts at all.

Commit to and stick to the training and you will be fine.
SAMESIES! I definitely had FOMO over not running a measly 9.3mi more and getting allllll of the medals.

The biggest thing is to find a training plan that you can commit to. If you're not willing to find the time to run then don't register. The marathon is unforgiving to the undertrained. Sure you can miss a few days but you really need to stick to the training as best you can if you want to enjoy the experience.
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Remember that the longest runs for Dopey (16-26 miles) will be around the holidays from Thanksgiving until New Year’s Day. Are you willing to commit to spending all those hours every week or so that may interfere with family time, Christmas shopping, parties, etc.? Know the commitment you are making in order to be successful. Pixie Dust will NOT see you through, no matter what you read on Facebook, but training will!
Not only the time commitment during the holidays, but also depending on where you live the weather can be tricky (or if you're like me and hate the cold) and having access to a treadmill can be key to staying on track. And not just the long runs popping up around the holidays and the time they can take, but ALSO not sabotaging your long runs with what you might be eating because it's around the holidays.

Training, training, training. That's what it comes down to.

My longest current run was 10.85 miles including warm up and cool down which I did last Sunday as part of the Galloway program that he has on the app. So it was third day in a row of distance and I managed to have a pace of 11:30 for the whole run.

Depending on what you're doing during the mid-week, you may not be as far off from being capable of running a marathon as you think. If the 11:30 min/mile pace is an appropriate long run pace, then you're probably capable of around a 9:30 HM/M pace. Like a 2:05 HM/4:30 M or so. That's as long as the 11:30 is an appropriate long run pace and you aren't running those too quickly based on Galloway's methodology. With the minimum cutoffs at 3:30 and 7:00 you have quite a bit of wiggle room. Additionally, you're already doing about 125 min on your longest training run. There are some marathon/Dopey training plans designed around a 3 hr long run maximum and about 6-7 total hours in the week. Runners who have used a training plan like that have been successful in completing the Dopey Challenge. I feel relatively confident that if my above assumptions are true, and you can stick to the training plan, that you have a reasonably high chance of completing Dopey.

I had only done 10-mile races prior to doing my 1st marathon. I did a full training cycle (Higdon Novice 2) starting early May and was adequately prepared for my marathon in early October. I took a week or two off and then did a few weeks of his Dopey plan (fit in two weekends of back to back long runs) and then got Covid a month before Marathon Weekend. I was lucky enough to recover quickly and despite my unintentional extra long taper I had no trouble tackling Dopey. That said, I was WRECKED after my 1st marathon. It took me a few days to feel like I could even walk normally. I did two 20 milers in training without too much soreness and even though my marathon was about the same pace as my long runs I could definitely feel the extra 6.2 miles. However, running a marathon before Dopey gave me INCREDIBLE confidence. I was never worried about finishing Dopey, more worried about the early wake ups. I didn't find the back to back runs as hard in reality as in training because I took more breaks in the races (photos) than I would in training. My pace was a minute or two per mile slower in the races than in training because of all the stopping I did.

That said, I really did love having my 1st marathon on a regular course with crowd (and family/friend) support for most of the course. Like 95% of the WDW races are on freeways without any crowd support, so it is a very different experience than your typical large marathon. I loved it, but I still am glad I did a regular marathon first to celebrate that experience on its own (and to be less nervous since I was well rested leading up to the race).

My long run pace is similar to yours and so if it's a pace you can keep up as you add miles and you do a full training plan, I don't think you would have too much trouble doing Dopey. I think it mostly comes down to whether you want that typical 1st marathon experience/celebration or not, since Dopey definitely overshadows the marathon based on my single experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter