Am I really posting this? I think I am.. OCTOBER 2018?!? The negotiations with DH begin!!

ToffPrincess

Mouseketeer
The Negotiations Begin

This is not really a pre-trip report as it is sort of something I have not fully disclosed to DH.

We have decided that while DS is still not in proper school but in nursery school, to take him out during term time to visit family and friends in Florida in October. The reason being that flight prices go up drastically over half-term and last time I felt bad because we pretty much saw no one in Florida last time we were there.

As you can imagine.. I heard the word Florida and only one thing came to mind. Not my friends, not our family.. DISNEY!! The plan is to fly into Miami, work through all our family/friends in that area and then drive on to Tampa, then to Sarasota for a little holiday before flying out of Tampa or Orlando depending on prices. We booked our hotels for the most part, as they all have free cancelation policies (which is much needed when travelling at that time of year.) I have yet to do flights as we were even thinking of visiting family in New York first and then heading to Florida.

DH casually mentioned (after much subliminal messaging from me, non-stop YouTube videos and dramatic sighing over the long flight) that we could look into ending our trip at Disney for a day. He said it wasn't too long a drive from Sarasota/Tampa. Hahahahah oh DH you make me laugh. DS got very excited and I suggested a night at the GF and DH's eyes rolled into the back of his head somewhat but he agreed on a night or two. You see when people say the word 'OR' it's because they really don't know what they want. I know what I want.

So naturally, as he is on a work trip and I was unsupervised, last night before phone lines closed, I called Disney. I may or may not have booked a 9 night stay, did all the ADRs & booked Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween tickets all in the space of 2 hours. :rotfl:

DH has no idea. How exactly do I bring this up I don't know?! Will he accept the amount of days I have booked? I doubt it but thats why I went for 9 days as I feel we will end up negotiating and settling at 5. On purpose I booked the good reservations over the expected 5 days. I am no fool. I must get DS the master manipulator on board and work on it. It's not that DH hates Disney, it's just that he thinks DS and I are mental. He doesn't get the whole obsession over it or why Disney lovers spend so much time planning their perfect next trip even if it is years away. For him, once every year or second year is enough. He also has a valid point when he says we haven't seen his parents in over a year (can't say I'm devastated by this) or gone anywhere non-Disney or non-work related in over 18 months.

Amongst other things I need to figure out, he needs to know that he is paying. That last bit may need some work but I am pretty sure this counts as household expenses?

:grouphug:Pray for me people. He is back on Sunday night.. I will let him sleep peacefully but then I really need to broach the subject ASAP as flights need to get booked. 5 days isn't too much to ask for is it?

I’m just now reading through your trip reports. Hope you get to go again so I can read more! I waited until my son was 3 before taking him for his first trip down to WDW and now I’m trying to squeeze in as many trips as I can before he begins kindergarten :D

So little update, I have gone for the say nothing technique.

DS is working on extra time with the Disney manipulation. He has Tiki rooms playing non-stop and DS has a few times mentioned he is looking forward to going back. I know when it comes to buying tickets I will have to say something but for now.. we are going.

Oh, my gosh....I had planned trips in the past for my daughters and myself with groups of friends. My, then husband was not a fan and spent his vacation time playing Great White Hunter. Our finances were separate, still I was filled with dread when I shared my Disney plans with him - he would roll his eyes, make sarcastic remarks etc... Good luck and godspeed.

Oh, my gosh....I had planned trips in the past for my daughters and myself with groups of friends. My, then husband was not a fan and spent his vacation time playing Great White Hunter. Our finances were separate, still I was filled with dread when I shared my Disney plans with him - he would roll his eyes, make sarcastic remarks etc... Good luck and godspeed.

It is going better than thought. We went to Disneyland Paris which doesn't even compare to WDW and all DH has done is talk bout how much he misses Disney World. I think he had that lightbulb moment here that he actually does like Disney and more than he thought he did. :rotfl:I hope your hubby has a moment like that oo as I know how heartbreaking it can be to put so much effort into planning something and you get a sigh and eyeroll. :worried:

Last edited:
UPDATE- DH on his own.. ASKED to go to Disney World at the end of October Flordia adventure for a good long stay. :love: I knew it! I knew we could manipulate him into thinking it is his idea!!!

We are currently in Disneyland Paris (live trip report going on here) and, nice as it is, it's just not our thing or very Disney at all. Can't wait to get home and get my excel chart out and show him over the next week or so what I have done! Naturally I will make it look like I did it when we got home from Paris and that the reservations & ADRs haven't been done for 2 weeks now.. :rolleyes1

Last edited:

It is going better than thought. We went to Disneyland Paris which doesn't even compare to WDW and all DH has done is talk bout how much he misses Disney World. I think he had that lightbulb moment here that he actually does like Disney and more than he thought he did. :rotfl:I hope your hubby has a moment like that oo as I know how heartbreaking it can be to put so much effort into planning something and you get a sigh and eyeroll. :worried:

He's now my former husband

He's now my former husband

You deserve better than rolled eyes even if you are talking about a theme foreign to mankind (handbags, Disney etc..) I dont know if you found love again but if you did and when you do.. I hope it makes up for that and the person loves to be happy for you and what you love!!

You deserve better than rolled eyes even if you are talking about a theme foreign to mankind (handbags, Disney etc..) I dont know if you found love again but if you did and when you do.. I hope it makes up for that and the person loves to be happy for you and what you love!!
That's most kind of you - still available for my happily ever after. I am glad that things are working well for you. Enjoy your trip!

Joining in! I need to check out your Disneyland Paris report as we are going in 2019!

Oh wow I see I have a lot to update here. I am a member of a UK forum and seem to have neglected this one.

MANY things have been bought over the last few months as the Disney missing sets in. Firstly I must have bought 40 candles, melts & room sprays from various companies as we are all having serious Disney withdrawal and the smell is something we talk about all the time.
My two favourite places for surprisingly accurate scented candles etc are the Maple Whiskey Candle Co here on ETSY and Magic Candle Company. SO very good and lovely. I would say I haven't yet come across a Grand Floridian one that is accurate but these are pretty close and do the job of transporting you back to disney for a moment! I adore the Walt's Office one from the MCC. Pirates Water is great too (but doesn't smell like Bromine) and Haunted is great. You can never go wrong with a Polynesian Resort themed candle or Mickey Waffles!​
I also got these Tiki Room themed ears from Happily Earver After on Etsy. The Tiki obsession is now real. At first I hated the attraction but now I actually miss it and cant wait to go back. My ringtone is now.. In the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room which always gets a few looks!

MANY Dooney & Bourke bags have been bought (the old releases from Ebay and the new ones from ShopDisney.) Always push the 'make an offer' button on eBay, if an item has been listed for a while you would be amazed the pay cut people are willing to take to get it shifted! So happy with the placement of the characters on both bags. And the Winnie one too! I did make one more Dooney purchase but its in the US at a relatives house waiting for me. Handbags are kind of my thing and I wear these a lot around London. So many people stop me and ask about them.. its nice to see they appeal to the kid in everyones hearts even here amongst all the Chanel & Hermes shops.​

DH gave me the green flag to pay for some extra fast passes so we secured everything we wanted. As of this week regular fast passes have been booked. We booked MNSSHP tickets and Frozen dessert party tickets. Match match family t-shirts have been ordered and as DS is turning 4 in a few days we have a had an influx of Disney deliveries to the house. His party will be Disney themed of course.

DH very much looking forward to our month in Florida and hasn't even asked for the specifics on the Disney trip. He does know its a week or so but he is so happy for our holiday he hasn't even asked where we are staying in Miami or Sarasota. He just left the booking and organising up to me. Smart man. A lot of that happiness has to do with the Miami Heat & Orlando Magic tickets I got him & his friend but also a lot of it is Disney. He is a convert!! He constantly talks about Disney and the happiness, service and rides.

I am so excited for this trip!! Cant wait for October!!​

It sounds like your plans are coming along great! And the trip is just around the corner now.

I am confused on this statement of yours since I did not think you can buy extra fastpasses.
DH gave me the green flag to pay for some extra fast passes so we secured everything we wanted. As of this week regular fast passes have been booked

I am confused on this statement of yours since I did not think you can buy extra fastpasses.

There is the option to buy 3 set fastpasses a day for a minimum of 3 days if you stay at club level. This option opens up 90 days before your visit but you can not edit/reassign them yourself.. signature services can do it for you. One bonus doing this is that there are no tier restrictions on rides so you can book lets say.. all 3 toy story rides.

Hope this explains!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter