Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

I'm all about being critical but I would change your "it's a shame we were robbed" to "I was robbed" It's a personal observation not an all inclusive statement
I've been a SW fan all my life (45 years old now) and I love all the movies, the original ones more than the new ones, I attended SW conventions, SWW, Celebration, to me. the land is perfect. You are creating your own SW story, I don't need to be in Tattooine or Hoth or Mustafar, I think they created a land thata is distinctly SW. HP had the advantage of having only 2 main locations, Hogsmead and Diagon Alley, with SW there are so many planets, moons, cities cited that someone would've been upset that their favorite place wasn't represented.

Thank you! I have seen this same sentiment on reddit since opening. Some were even saying that imgineers lied to them. It's just a tad bit extreme for the opening of a theme park land. It definitely will not be for everyone and thats fine but as a life long Star Wars fan I do not feel robbed at all. I feel gifted haha.

I'm all about being critical but I would change your "it's a shame we were robbed" to "I was robbed" It's a personal observation not an all inclusive statement
I've been a SW fan all my life (45 years old now) and I love all the movies, the original ones more than the new ones, I attended SW conventions, SWW, Celebration, to me. the land is perfect. You are creating your own SW story, I don't need to be in Tattooine or Hoth or Mustafar, I think they created a land thata is distinctly SW. HP had the advantage of having only 2 main locations, Hogsmead and Diagon Alley, with SW there are so many planets, moons, cities cited that someone would've been upset that their favorite place wasn't represented.
I agree!

Thank you! I have seen this same sentiment on reddit since opening. Some were even saying that imgineers lied to them. It's just a tad bit extreme for the opening of a theme park land. It definitely will not be for everyone and thats fine but as a life long Star Wars fan I do not feel robbed at all. I feel gifted haha.

I get being disappointed that it isn't what one wanted but how do they see it as the imagineers lying to them? The land looks just like the earliest concept art so what were they expecting that we didn't get?

If anything I think there is more references to the movies than I was expecting with the wandering characters and stuff. I wasn't expecting to see Chewbacca and Rey around for example

It's definitely different- but I think they are going for that this is for your adventure in the Star Wars Universe - not to be set in adventures that have already happened and you are more of just a ln observer.
You are creating your own SW story, I don't need to be in Tattooine or Hoth or Mustafar, I think they created a land thata is distinctly SW.

I just feel like that's the excuse they give for playing it safe and being able to promote THEIR new and future movies easier. I've said it ever since I first saw the concept art, what exactly is Star Wars about this? It could just be any random place in the universe and look like pretty much any environment anyone could ever imagine. I mean I'm excited about it and it's certainly better than nothing, and most people will just be happy to have it. But I really doubt 1% of the people going in there are thinking "this is great that this is a new place, I feel like I'm living my own Star Wars adventure. I'm glad I can't walk around the Death Star or see the Sarlac pit." They at least have the Falcon, which is probably the most important thing to see from the movies. But I think way more people would be blow away by feeling like the are entering the actual movies. I get they have the problem of either having to choose just one location, or losing the imersiveness by having to walk from planet to planet, but there are ways around that. Heck, they could have built it almost the same as they did an just call it Tatooine instead of Batuu and build a few more things as exact replicas like the cantina.

I fully get why they did it they way they did. I just think it was playing it safer and easier. I'm glad we have it, and I am stoked for the rides. I'd rather they get those right than the land anyway. But as for the land itself, most of it doesn't scream Star Wars to me. You could drop me in there with zero context and tell me it's an expansion at Animal Kingdom. I'm not knocking the land. And I could completely change my mind when I see it in person in August. But I'm not even a HP fan and I teared up the first time I walked into Diagon Alley. I've loved Star Wars longer than I've loved Disney, and I just don't see myself having the same reaction to this.

Rides or attractions? There are more than 2 attractions but there are 2 rides. 2 rides is pretty much the going rate for new lands. Hogsmeade added 1 new ride, NFL added 2, Daigon Alley added 2, Pandora added 2, TSL added 2. Given the budgets on these lands already, adding more than two rides doesn't seem to fit. Rides easily run $200 million each. Disney is leaving expansion pads for the lands to add future areas. You are already seeing that with adding back the TS restaurant area to TSL.

Both. I cannot consider shops and restaurants actual attractions and I may have missed something else that counts as an attraction?

I'm critical of this trend though of 2 though and find it disappointing every time. I did grow up with Star Wars. Saw the first movie at a drive in theatre in the summer of 1977. Used to consistently go to the Star Wars weekends at DHS and adored those. I'll geek out over the land but I have not felt the need to run there for the opening and if crowds were terrible I'd be ok waiting too. For myself that's telling. Once I finally get there maybe it'll change.

I get being disappointed that it isn't what one wanted but how do they see it as the imagineers lying to them? The land looks just like the earliest concept art so what were they expecting that we didn't get?

If anything I think there is more references to the movies than I was expecting with the wandering characters and stuff. I wasn't expecting to see Chewbacca and Rey around for example

The one post in particular said they were promised that you could go on the actual MF and that they walked it back to what the actual finished product is. Personally, I never interpreted anything as everyone would pile onto a singular scale model of the MF because that would be a logistical nightmare.....but this person felt personally wronged by Scott Trowbridge and it was hilariously over the top haha

I just feel like that's the excuse they give for playing it safe and being able to promote THEIR new and future movies easier. I've said it ever since I first saw the concept art, what exactly is Star Wars about this? It could just be any random place in the universe and look like pretty much any environment anyone could ever imagine. I mean I'm excited about it and it's certainly better than nothing, and most people will just be happy to have it. But I really doubt 1% of the people going in there are thinking "this is great that this is a new place, I feel like I'm living my own Star Wars adventure. I'm glad I can't walk around the Death Star or see the Sarlac pit." They at least have the Falcon, which is probably the most important thing to see from the movies. But I think way more people would be blow away by feeling like the are entering the actual movies. I get they have the problem of either having to choose just one location, or losing the imersiveness by having to walk from planet to planet, but there are ways around that. Heck, they could have built it almost the same as they did an just call it Tatooine instead of Batuu and build a few more things as exact replicas like the cantina.

I fully get why they did it they way they did. I just think it was playing it safer and easier. I'm glad we have it, and I am stoked for the rides. I'd rather they get those right than the land anyway. But as for the land itself, most of it doesn't scream Star Wars to me. You could drop me in there with zero context and tell me it's an expansion at Animal Kingdom. I'm not knocking the land. And I could completely change my mind when I see it in person in August. But I'm not even a HP fan and I teared up the first time I walked into Diagon Alley. I've loved Star Wars longer than I've loved Disney, and I just don't see myself having the same reaction to this.

Like I said, I totally get what your saying - though I see it differently in that I think it would have been "safer" to just have an area that "plays the hits" - I think this was more creative

And I mean there is a full size Millennium Falcon and tons of space ships all over and Chewbacca and Storm troopers walking around ... Seems pretty Star Wars to me

But no way to make everyone happy - I am just happy there is an honest to goodness Star Wars land to visit

Am I the only one that is unimpressed (so far) with SWGE - where is the juice?

This thing cost $1 billion (with a "B") and covers 14 acres and does not have anywhere near the charm/wonder/fantasy/Disney of Main Street or Fantasyland or Cars Land or shoot even the Monorail for that matter (all far smaller and less expensive). I mean, so far the only ride is a big video game embedded in a movie set.

I get it, there is a tremendous fandom of 20somethings to 50somethings but I get the feeling that there is a lot of vlogging and show-the-internet-food of it all without anyone asking if this thing fits.
I have spent about 14 hours in the land so far. Yes, from my avatar, you can tell I'm a Star Wars fan, but I visited with people who weren't huge fans of Star Wars. But the time they walked out, they had purchased one of the monkey lizards and waited 1 hr to sign up for a lightsaber!

You can't understand the scale from the vlogs. Or the atmosphere in there. You truly feel like you have been transported elsewhere. I legitimately forgot at one point that I was in Disneyland.

All of the aspects are there. You have these huge set pieces and noises going around. Every so often you hear and feel a ship flying overhead. You can hear droids beeping around. So many details are there and it feels lived in.

I would withhold any judgement until you actually visit!

I haven't been yet, but as of now I'm a critic. I think the rides will both blow me away, especially RotR. But my criticism really has nothing to do with the quality of the land. It looks super impressive, though still not the same as Pandora, Diagon Alley, or even Carsland. I think the land was built strategically based on synergy and promoting future movies instead of giving Star Wars fans the same experience Harry Potter fans get to enjoy. I haven't waited my entire life to go to Battuu. I haven't waited my entire life to visit a knockoff of Mos Eisley Cantina. It's immersive and incredibly detailed...but it's an incredibly detailed place we've never seen or cared about before. And I just think it's a shame we were robbed of that and told that this is "better" because it gives them more creative freedom.
I actually prefer that it isn't one of the places in the movies. It lets you make your own opinions and have your "adventures". I like to explore and find new places rather than just seeing the same old thing over and over. It also allows for more varied environment, rather than the desert planet, or an ice planet, or something like that.

Again, withhold judgement until you've been. I love all the places you mentioned, but Batuu blows them all out of the water!

Like I said, I totally get what your saying - though I see it differently in that I think it would have been "safer" to just have an area that "plays the hits" - I think this was more creative

And I mean there is a full size Millennium Falcon and tons of space ships all over and Chewbacca and Storm troopers walking around ... Seems pretty Star Wars to me

But no way to make everyone happy - I am just happy there is an honest to goodness Star Wars land to visit

Batuu is also a very fluid concept where everything flows within the land. If they went the route of playing the hits and having the Sarlacc pit, Jabba's Palace, Ewoks, Cloud City, etc that it would feel so disjointed and more like an interactive Star Wars exhibit rather than a fully actualized land. Or if they did build just Mos Eisley then you still are missing out on a ton of iconic locations and someone would be mad it was Mos Eisley instead of Dagobah. Going with a new place was their best option, imo. Star Wars fans are our own worse enemies. You make some happy you have inevitably peeved others.

And if they did a land from the original trilogy which one? Whichever one they pick a bunch of fans would be pissed they didn't pick something else.
I suspect that Mos Eisley would satisfy most SW fans. But you're right, nothing would please everyone. The OP isn't pleased that it's Star Wars...

Batuu is also a very fluid concept where everything flows within the land. If they went the route of playing the hits and having the Sarlacc pit, Jabba's Palace, Ewoks, Cloud City, etc that it would feel so disjointed and more like an interactive Star Wars exhibit rather than a fully actualized land. Or if they did build just Mos Eisley then you still are missing out on a ton of iconic locations and someone would be mad it was Mos Eisley instead of Dagobah. Going with a new place was their best option, imo. Star Wars fans are our own worse enemies. You make some happy you have inevitably peeved others.
Honestly I see Batuu as Mos Eisley with more pizzazz (this is a good thing IMO).

I disagree.

This is about creating your own Star Wars story. Putting you inside a planet not seen elsewhere. If they put you in Tatooine, that's Luke's story not yours. It wouldn't make sense to have you pilot the falcon in that story.

Disney is drawing from all 8 (soon to be 9) films here. Yoda has a presence in this land. Everything has a star wars look and feel in Batuu. Its familiar but unfamiliar at the same time. Disney and Lucasfilm want you as a guest to explore. Doug Chiang of Lucasfilm creative has worked very closely on this project and he said they did look at building Tatooine, or Hoth, or whatever else and it just didn't work as well.

There is nothing safe about a $1 billion land based on one IP. Sure its an extremely popular one but when you spend that type of money its a risk.

I don't have anything really to say that hasn't already been said, but I've seen comparisons to Harry Potter at Universal, and for what it's worth I'm not all that impressed with Harry Potter. It's cool to walk in Diagon Alley and see the neat shops, but it is just shops. There's one ride there, which is quite fun I admit. But after that, it's crowded streets that are surrounded by shops that have different yet still similar merchandise. At the end of the day, you're experiencing stores themed for Harry Potter. I feel like there's even less in Hogsmeade. The Harry Potter lands also aren't all that big in reality.

Having said all of that, I'm also not a huge fan of Harry Potter. So the appeal isn't quite there for me. On the other hand, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so SW:GE has massive appeal to me. It all comes down to personal taste.

People also need to actually experience it for themselves and not judge it based on video and internet articles...the land hasn't even been open a week. Let's all step back for a minute.

I haven't waited my entire life to visit a knockoff of Mos Eisley Cantina.

I mean...I kind of have?

When I was a kid I would make up planets that would be in the Star Wars galaxy and imagine visiting them and their own seedy "Mos Eisley Cantina knockoffs." Because why would anyone go to Tatooine on purpose?

The "creative freedom" thing rings true to me. I feel like it's easier to get lost in the immersion of "I'm a rebel spy/smuggler captain just making port" if it's a place that isn't "famous." Plus, let's face it. It rains in Florida a LOT. That alone would kind of ruin it if they tried to play it off as actually being Mos Eisley.

Heck, they could have built it almost the same as they did an just call it Tatooine instead of Batuu and build a few more things as exact replicas like the cantina.

Again, rain.

Also, the whole point of Tatooine is that it's kind of just a crummy, podunk place. Outside of Jabba's palace, there isn't really a whole lot going on there. (And a lot of what goes on in Jabba's palace wouldn't really make for a Family Friendly Interactive Experience. Tour the torture chamber! Gawk at the sex slaves!)

I dunno, the idea of framing it as an "excuse" just seems so...incredibly negative. You could call just about any conceit in the parks an "excuse" and I guess be technically right.

At the end of the day, they decided to go with something that actually feels a lot more chancy than just "Oh hey, look. There's that Big Thing from the movie. Oh, hey, there's that other Big Thing from the movie." They gave us a whole world to interact with and explore, things to find, things to do. It's not all laid out in the open and obvious.

It's also easier for parkgoers to choose their own type, as it were. In Harry Potter...eh, congrats, you're a wizard. There's not much else to it. But getting to choose--are you a resistance fighter? or a spacer? or (for some reason) a space nazi? Will you be recruited? Will you seek out the means to make your own lightsaber and be a Jedi?

To me, even as a kid, the larger appeal of Star Wars was never just what was on the screen. It was about this wide universe full of small, intricate parts to interact with. I think they did a good job capturing that.

They went to Tattooine way too many times in the first six movies – I myself have no desire to go back. The prequels made the Star Wars galaxy feel so small, so I’m thrilled there’s a new place to see.

Lord, that too. I swear, for a second I thought Jakku was Tatooine, and I was about to scream.

Luke says himself: "If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that's farthest from." Shoot, it never even made much sense to me that Jabba's palace was on Tatooine. What's the galaxy's most notorious gangster (who clearly hails from a swamplike area) doing on an actual desert planet at the far end of the galaxy?

Actually looking at comparisons between Mos Eisley Cantina and Oga's because I'm annoyed about this now, and there are a lot of similarities but the most glaring difference is that Oga's seems much bigger across the board, and it kinda has to be, since this is less some seedy dive bar than one of the bigger attractions (yes, it's an attraction) that needs to accommodate not only hundreds of customers per hour, but plenty of bartenders as well. I'm sure they could have created a carbon copy of Mos Eisley but don't count on having more than 50 people in there at a time.

I suspect that Mos Eisley would satisfy most SW fans. But you're right, nothing would please everyone. The OP isn't pleased that it's Star Wars...

Seems like the OP believes Star Wars does not belong in the Disney parks. Star Wars has been in both these parks for over 20 years already. How does it not belong? Star Wars fans flocked DHS for years every Star Wars Weekend. Disney is the Mecca of Star Wars and has been before Disney bought LucasFlims.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!