Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

This has kinda been my thinking for a long time, long before the new SW.

I'm slightly baffled why folks would want to watch a ride video before going on any ride.

I think most folks over a certain age realize video can't really capture the experience of being surrounded by fireworks.

Soarin' is about as good as video can get, but I've never once mistaken it for real hang gliding.

Especially for something like Smuggler's Run which is an interactive ride apparently (I haven't seen videos)...so that would be like watching other people playing Toy Story mania, lol

Seriously tho. Mine Train is...nice. The mine scene is cool. Aaaand...yeah, it's ok. Glad we had FP, would not wait in line.

honestly, to me, this feels almost as if you got to walk around in PotC. It's certainly more than just "concrete and a video game."

And this is what has me so excited about this land. The level of immersion, hopefully the ability to be able to suspend my disbelief, and be able to really feel like I'm actually "in" this world. For those of us who grew up going to Disney, and can recall the feeling that you really were in Japan, or among looting pirates, or the middle of the jungle, this is the kind of Disney magic that I'm hoping for as an adult with SWGE. I don't want to just rush from ride to ride. I want to be a smuggler exploring a new planet.

For those of you who think Batuu was a way for them to be original since it didn't already exist, it does exist and it probably will feed into future marketing. It's part of the new Disney introduced canon which I think is inevitable to become a movie trilogy. I appreciate Star Wars, more so the pre-Disney material but my goodness there is so much marketing wrapped up in Blackspire. 150 dollars droids, 220 dollar lightsabers, and then it will catch a new wind of relevance when Thrawn comes to the big screen.

I understand what people are saying that to each their own, I just can't get past how much these add-on experiences cost for individuals that already paid 100 dollars to see it but can't experience. It makes me feel like it's furthering that optic that Disney exists for rich people needing to lighten their pockets.

My initial reaction after watching GE videos is "meh." But to be fair, my reaction to it before I watched any GE videos was "meh."

I grew up with Star Wars, & am a big fan of the original trilogy. I think the new movies are OK, & I don't even hate the prequels, but I'm just not excited about visiting GE. I don't care if they'd tried to recreate Tatooine or Mos Isley or any of the places from the movies - it really doesn't matter to me. Maybe it's because it's dystopian and depressing, but I'm just not drawn to it.

I'm sure the detail and immersion are/will be amazing, but really, the theme park industry flew past the point of diminishing returns in that regard when Hogsmeade opened. They'd have to come up with something really on the next level to raise the bar significantly higher (ROTR, maybe? I hope.)

I'll be there in November (hopefully after ROTR opens, since that's the only thing about this land that really interests me) and I'll see then. I really hope it changes my mind.

I'm sure the detail and immersion are/will be amazing, but really, the theme park industry flew past the point of diminishing returns in that regard when Hogsmeade opened. They'd have to come up with something really on the next level to raise the bar significantly higher (ROTR, maybe? I hope.)

I'll be there in November (hopefully after ROTR opens, since that's the only thing about this land that really interests me) and I'll see then. I really hope it changes my mind.
Not really sure what you mean here. Hogsmeade is what started this whole immersion thing in the industry. Carsland, Diagon Alley and Pandora built upon that. By all accounts SWGE from a purely theming perspective takes it up even higher.

Rise of the Resistance is being touted by many inside Disney and outside to be the crowning achievement.

I think part of my problem is that they decided to open SWGE without it's crowning achievement, not doubting the theming at all but there's so many money grabs and only the MF ride which is iconic but is still a video game simulator. like here's some crumbs, you don't get the full meal but come spend some money.

Last edited:

I think party of my problem is that they decided to open SWGE without it's crowning achievement, not doubting the theming at all but there's so many money grabs and only the MF ride which is iconic but is still a video game simulator. like here's some crumbs, you don't get the full meal but come spend some money.

I think they did this because bookings were softer than they wanted and they looked at it as a way to increase business while waiting for the second attraction to be completed. Even so, there are plenty of people who want to wait until everything is open before visiting.

For those of you who think Batuu was a way for them to be original since it didn't already exist, it does exist and it probably will feed into future marketing. It's part of the new Disney introduced canon which I think is inevitable to become a movie trilogy. I appreciate Star Wars, more so the pre-Disney material but my goodness there is so much marketing wrapped up in Blackspire. 150 dollars droids, 220 dollar lightsabers, and then it will catch a new wind of relevance when Thrawn comes to the big screen.

I understand what people are saying that to each their own, I just can't get past how much these add-on experiences cost for individuals that already paid 100 dollars to see it but can't experience. It makes me feel like it's furthering that optic that Disney exists for rich people needing to lighten their pockets.

Of course Disney exists for people to lighten their pockets. It's a business, that is what they exist for.

Disney has been a $$$$ grab for years. SWGE is just another layer of that. They know their target audience...SW fans have been waiting years for this, and will pay.

Disney costs a lot of money:

BBB
After Hours Parties
Pirate Cruises
Specialty drinks at Trader Sam's
Character Dining
Tours
Disney Cruises
Aulani
V&A
MaxPass
Club Level FP+
Tickets (!!!)
Hotels (!!)
Parking charges

I think they did this because bookings were softer than they wanted and they looked at it as a way to increase business while waiting for the second attraction to be completed. Even so, there are plenty of people who want to wait until everything is open before visiting.

That and I think Disney has learned something from the debacle of opening their other newest lands. They are taking the opportunity to tinker with what works and what doesn't.

Maybe but I think it was more that the rest of the land was ready so why wait? They can make more money by opening it earlier than expected and when the rest is ready. When RotR is ready there will be another influx of people.

Of course Disney exists for people to lighten their pockets. It's a business, that is what they exist for.

Disney has been a $$$$ grab for years. SWGE is just another layer of that. They know their target audience...SW fans have been waiting years for this, and will pay.

Disney costs a lot of money:

BBB
After Hours Parties
Pirate Cruises
Specialty drinks at Trader Sam's
Character Dining
Tours
Disney Cruises
Aulani
V&A
MaxPass
Club Level FP+
Tickets (!!!)
Hotels (!!)
Parking charges

I know and they have a monopoly so they're driving the bus, we'll keep paying until something changes drastically. I don't see how cruises and Aulani fit into that list other than their just pricey locals. My only point is the bulk of SWGE are experiences you have to pay more for, that's all. BTW what's "V&A"?

Not really a fan of the added cost to things that give people more access like the Club Level FP+, you have to pay so much for the room and then it's crazy on top of that. If they really do a permanent program like that I wish they wouldn't tie it to already expensive club level rooms.

I know and they have a monopoly so they're driving the bus, we'll keep paying until something changes drastically. I don't see how cruises and Aulani fit into that list other than their just pricey locals. My only point is the bulk of SWGE are experiences you have to pay more for, that's all. BTW what's "V&A"?

Not really a fan of the added cost to things that give people more access like the Club Level FP+, you have to pay so much for the room and then it's crazy on top of that. If they really do a permanent program like that I wish they wouldn't tie it to already expensive club level rooms.

Disney cruises cost more than their counterparts, for similar ports of call. You get "Disney", which is how they can get away with charging more.

V&A--Victoria & Alberts. I added it in, as it is the most expensive restaurant on property.

I don't like being nickle & dimed either. The whole having to pay more for parking just annoys me.

For some people, $200 for a high quality lightsaber is worth it (and there are people who pay similar prices or more for a non-Disney lightsaber). For some, the $45-50 Disney jersey is worth the cost; for others, that is way too much for a shirt. $15-20 for a mug, same thing. $1200 for a Sorcerer Mickey figurine. $37,500 for Cinderella's castle. Some people don't blink at dropping $200 for a dress and hairstyle for their 3 year old. You can pay for the item or not.

As others have said Disney is a business, they paid 4 billion to buy star wars from Lucas. Each of the lands cost 1 billion, yeah they want to see their money come back.
They are walking a thin rope on what they can offer and how fast they can get their money back. No other company does entertainment like Disney, until something better comes along people will do their best to continue coming
I believe you can still go into SWGE, not buy a thing and still have a good time. It's all in the attitude

Am I the only one that is unimpressed (so far) with SWGE - where is the juice?

This thing cost $1 billion (with a "B") and covers 14 acres and does not have anywhere near the charm/wonder/fantasy/Disney of Main Street or Fantasyland or Cars Land or shoot even the Monorail for that matter (all far smaller and less expensive).

What is "juice"?
What does that mean?

Not really sure what you mean here. Hogsmeade is what started this whole immersion thing in the industry. Carsland, Diagon Alley and Pandora built upon that. By all accounts SWGE from a purely theming perspective takes it up even higher.

Rise of the Resistance is being touted by many inside Disney and outside to be the crowning achievement.
The level of detail and immersion at Hogsmeade is so great that there's comparatively little room for improvement, and Disney and Universal have made huge investments - both financial and in design/engineering - for very small gains. For detail and immersion of these areas to continue to improve will require more and more resources for smaller and smaller gains - diminishing returns.

For the overall detail of GE to be enough to get me excited about seeing it, there would have to be aspects that are really unique and over the top. That's not to say that I don't and won't appreciate the work that's been put into it - I just don't see it as being something that sets GE above Diagon Alley, Pandora, or any of the highly immersive areas.

I'm aware of the hype surrounding ROTR & really hope it lives up to it. I will definitely ride it and experience all of GE at some point in the future, if not in November when I'm there. Maybe seeing it first hand will change my attitude about it, but for now my attitude is "meh."

The level of detail and immersion at Hogsmeade is so great that there's comparatively little room for improvement, and Disney and Universal have made huge investments - both financial and in design/engineering - for very small gains. For detail and immersion of these areas to continue to improve will require more and more resources for smaller and smaller gains - diminishing returns.

For the overall detail of GE to be enough to get me excited about seeing it, there would have to be aspects that are really unique and over the top. That's not to say that I don't and won't appreciate the work that's been put into it - I just don't see it as being something that sets GE above Diagon Alley, Pandora, or any of the highly immersive areas.

I'm aware of the hype surrounding ROTR & really hope it lives up to it. I will definitely ride it and experience all of GE at some point in the future, if not in November when I'm there. Maybe seeing it first hand will change my attitude about it, but for now my attitude is "meh."
I have yet to visit SWGE of course but based on people's opinions I know and trust many feel it really does transport you to another place and that you don't feel you are at Disneyland at least. Potter areas are of course extremely well done but I am not sure you can say you feel like you aren't at Universal Studios or IOA. It is hard for anything this hyped to live up to that in many cases. So far it seems it is though.

As others have said Disney is a business, they paid 4 billion to buy star wars from Lucas. Each of the lands cost 1 billion, yeah they want to see their money come back.
They are walking a thin rope on what they can offer and how fast they can get their money back. No other company does entertainment like Disney, until something better comes along people will do their best to continue coming
I believe you can still go into SWGE, not buy a thing and still have a good time. It's all in the attitude
They made their money back off the The Force Awakens, it's all frosting since.

Hmmmmmm, easy enough said sitting behind a computer screen and not having experienced the "land" for yourself....From what I have seen so far from probably 20 or so vlogs one is totally immerced into a world in Star Wars, no it is not from any movie, but will make you think you are in that world, so instead of picking it apart sit back, take it all in and enjoy it..............

For some people, $200 for a high quality lightsaber is worth it

To me a high quality lightsaber would cut granite like butter. These don't cut butter like butter.

But seriously I like the lightsaber thing, I'm just having fun. We can use our imaginations cutting granite, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!